What do you guys think of the 2014 Jeep Cherokee?

2005Explorer

No they are not, but basically I'll have to either move up to an Explorer or a Grand Cherokee because every small CUV is about the same styling wise. Or maybe I will just say screw the MPG and get an F-150. I just liked the fact that Jeep tried to put a little truckiness into this when you can't seem to find that from anyone else in this class other then the GMC Terrain, which everyone says is ugly too.

While the Escape and Cherokee are styling disasters, the Cherokee does have some pretty nice stats. But, If I were you, I would take a long, hard look at the V6 Grand Cherokee with the 8-speed transmission. Skip the Escape, Edge, and Explorer (unless you need that much room) and get a proper midsized SUV that has actual capability.

So, make it look like a Grand Cherokee, but don't?

Somehow they don't look bad at all on the GC, but on the Terrain, new GM trucks and the Cherokee they're hideous. Must be a subtle difference I'm not picking up on.

^^^ What he said!

I think the Cherokee's are a bit more upright, and the JGC's are a bit more angled, and a tad more subtle. I actually really like the look of the JGC, especially in person.

This is an interesting topic. I have a 2010 Mercury Mariner and I'm ready for an upgrade. My considerations are: Edge and Cherokee (Explorer is probably overkill - I don't need a third row seat or that big of a vehicle and want to keep gas mileage close to what my 4 cyl offers but need more power).

Let us know what you decide.

If I were to stick with a small SUV I'd probably look at the Terrain (The only part I don't like it the wheel openings), CX-5 (Still a "cute-ute", but better than the Kuga IMHO), and Xterra (tho Ancient).

I'd have to agree with the above. While I'm no fan of the wheel openings of the Terrain as well, the overall style IMO is better than the Escape/Cherokee. The CX-5 is a good option, heard a lot of good things about them from current owners.

But my favorite, even though old and a little dated, is the Xterra. May not have the best ride or mpgs of the group, but I prefer the more truck oriented SUV's, both in style and capability.

Edited by V8-X

Is the new Escape less 'capable' than the older model?

Comparing a 2010 Escape to a 2013 Escape...I can say this much...the Passenger side seating space is slightly less then the older model and I found the ride on the newer Escape to be a bit more firm then the older model, but the 2013 Ti had lower profile tires then the 2010 XLT my Fiancee has too.

As for styling...well according to fiancee...it looks like a squished bug without roof racks on it, but she doesn't hate it styling wise vs what she has now.

We are most likely getting a next Gen Edge to replace it...or at least thats what I would like to do. Maybe an Explorer, but might be too much to swing $$$ with two car payments.

Also--as you're a couple years younger than me (IIRC), I'll let you in on a little secret: Eventually, you'll want a bigger car. It happens to different people at different points in their lives--but just about everybody, at some point, will want that bigger car (Nick went from a Mazda6 to an Edge, Silvrsvt bought an SHO)... Heck. Happened to me. Might as well get a jump start on that phase of your life..... :D

I would have went with a Fusion instead of a Taurus if they had an ST model :) The Fusion and Mustang are roughly the same size externally.

But I do like my SHO, even though its an old mans car...a fast one at that...with a check engine light too :(

Is the new Escape less 'capable' than the older model?

Never said it was less capable, but not saying it's more capable either.

Was simply pointing out, I'd personally opt for a vehicle like the Xterra, FJ or Wrangler as a smaller SUV due to their added capability. I'm sure no one would consider the current or former Escape as having the capability any of those three vehicles have.