Ford to scale back NHRA Drag racing

I don't feel too badly about this. As much as I like the John Force team and seeing winning Fords in any form of auto racing, drag racing beyond the level of the Cobra Jet Mustangs doesn't really seem to mean much...either technologically or in terms of exposure. I can't remember the last NHRA/Ford commercial or ad that I saw.

NASCAR, definitely. Grand-Am, definitely. I'd love the EcoBoost image to be pushed in IndyCar, and I really miss Ford being in Formula 1 (and, as they're going back to turbos, I see another missed EcoBoost opportunity), but drag racing? Not beyond the production-based levels.

I'm a bit sad for the Tasca folks, who have flown the Ford banner for a long time. And I'm a bit disappointed by the prospect of the Force mega-team hoisting someone else's colors. But from where I sit this seems like something a long time coming. The top-end drag racing peak was decades ago, and it shows no sign of staging a comeback.

Drag racing is a pure motorsport. Acceleration contests will always be a yardstick by which vehicles are measured. A major manufacturer like Ford has to weigh the exposure and the relevency of what is being raced and promoted. Decisions have to be made. Ford does not have unlimited dollars to play the racing game like GM and Chrysler seem to have.

I could see them pulling out if Tasca and Force were not wining, but that is not the case here. They are wining, and doing a good job on promoting the Ford brand. It's going to be real sad in 2015 when there will only be Tasca running a Ford in F/C and Force and team will be in Toyota's. And as far as P/S poor Larry Morgan gets no help at all it's a joke in P/S for Ford what an embarrassment to Ford and the Ford fans. It reminds me of F1 when Ford tried to make that work, what a joke.

This kind of racing is not a "toe dip" kind of racing. You're either all in or all out. You can't dilly dally around with it and win. If Ford wants to be part of it and win they have to commit the resources. If they don't then just fold up shop and call it a day. It is a bit puzzling though because they are winning on these fronts. NASCAR is an area where Ford is just sucking wind right now. I do believe NASCAR is pro Chevy by a long shot but Toyota enjoys a fair amount of success in NASCAR. Ford by contrast has struggled since the introduction of the COT. If they need a place to put some of the funding conserved by getting out of NHRA, perhaps they should start writing checks to the France family so Ford can win some NASCAR championships.

Are you seriously suggesting that current racing series like NHRA and NASCAR where the actual vehicles raced have virtually nothing in common with the production vehicles have any measurable impact on sales? Win on Sunday/sell on Monday just doesn't happen anymore. Nobody's buying a Mustang because John Force has one or a Fusion because the Roush guys use them.

Drag racing is a pure motorsport. Acceleration contests will always be a yardstick by which vehicles are measured. A major manufacturer like Ford has to weigh the exposure and the relevency of what is being raced and promoted. Decisions have to be made. Ford does not have unlimited dollars to play the racing game like GM and Chrysler seem to have.

It's all about relevancy as you said. It's neat, but what does it really do to built brand awareness and perception for Ford? Not like much of anything you see running at NHRA events is going to be found at your local Ford dealer. Drag racing is alive and well, but just not up at the corporate level the way it used to be.

Looks like Camrys to me.

4 FC Cruz Pedregon Brownsburg IN '13 Camry TFX 500 SNAP-ON

72 FC Tony Pedregon Brownsburg IN '13 Camry AJ 500

AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

771 FC Alexis De Joria Ypsilanti MI '13 Camry TFX 500 TEQUILA PATRON