Ford lets cars find parking spots

Ford Motor Co. says it has developed a car that can sniff out open parking spaces ahead — and then park itself in that space, even without a driver behind the wheel.

The Dearborn automaker intends to show off the feature today to journalists at its proving ground in Belgium. Ford has not announced plans to include the technology in specific vehicles, but said it will take a serious look at implementing it in the future.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131008/AUTO0102/310080019#ixzz2h89i0Xkl

This is such a bad idea. One step closer to cars that drive themselves.

If you are unable to find a parking spot and put your car into that parking spot, you shouldn't be driving.

I agree, I hate the fact of vehicles driving themselves, since I do enjoy driving.

But have you seen the people on the road these days? We need some type of intervention, as it seems 50% of the driving population do not know the basics.

• Like 1

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

Not sure why the comment Nick. To me, it's fairly obvious. If you can't find a parking spot, nor be able to park your car in said spot, you should not be behind the wheel plain and simple.

Just wait, when those systems get old and start failing. People will begin lawsuits against Ford and other manufacturers cause their car hit another because they never learned how to park a vehicle since the car always did it for them.

• Like 1

Not sure why the comment Nick. To me, it's fairly obvious. If you can't find a parking spot, nor be able to park your car in said spot, you should not be behind the wheel plain and simple.

Just wait, when those systems get old and start failing. People will begin lawsuits against Ford and other manufacturers cause their car hit another because they never learned how to park a vehicle since the car always did it for them.

There is a large satellite lot I need to park in at work several times a week that is always extremely crowded. Even in my Edge it is difficult to spot a parking space in the crowd. Almost every time after I end up settling for a spot near the back of the lot instead of driving up and down 5 aisles of cars, I walk past a couple open ones that I didn't/couldn't see while I was pulling into the lot. I would absolutely love this feature! It has nothing to do with not knowing how to drive.

It's ultimately about convenience. Nothing more. People probably made these same complaints when electric starters arrived. "Well gosh darn. If you're too incompetent to hand-crank an automobile, you shouldn't be allowed on the road!"

And as far as liability goes, I think the legal departments of automakers would raise and address those issues prior to launch. It doesn't seem to be detrimental to the rise of auto-park features coming out now.

• Like 1

There is a large satellite lot I need to park in at work several times a week that is always extremely crowded. Even in my Edge it is difficult to spot a parking space in the crowd. Almost every time after I end up settling for a spot near the back of the lot instead of driving up and down 5 aisles of cars, I walk past a couple open ones that I didn't/couldn't see while I was pulling into the lot. I would absolutely love this feature! It has nothing to do with not knowing how to drive.

Have the same here, multiple satellite lots on campus, which if you arrive after 8am all lots except the furthest out on campus has spots available.

I understand the convenience aspect of the feature. Most days I drive an old '86 Pulsar as my DD, which is even harder to spot open spots than my F150 in and around the lot. Personally, I'll almost always settle for the 1st spot I find, as like you, I don't find the need to waste fuel driving up/down the aisles.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, what is the use of maybe finding a spot 100yds closer? I look at society today as it is, and we're already too lazy. Which has breed those type of drivers who circle the lot 5-6-7 times or what not, burning fuel continuing to look for the closest spot or waiting for someone to leave.

Nothing against you, but to me this feature is for the lazy folks who refuse to simply find a spot and park, just as much as the park assist is for those people who simply do not know how to park a vehicle (like the video posted above by mettech).

Edited by V8-X

Personally, and this is just my opinion, what is the use of maybe finding a spot 100yds closer?

What if you are elderly, pregnant, or have some other hindrance/disability that doesn't qualify you for handicapped parking? 100 yards could seem like miles.

Does it really bother me that I, personally, have to walk another hundred yards? Not really. But it could be of great benefit to others.

Nothing against you, but to me this feature is for the lazy folks who refuse to simply find a spot and park, just as much as the park assist is for those people who simply do not know how to park a vehicle (like the video posted above by mettech).

It's not necessarily about being lazy; if you miss the open spot in a lot, then have to drive to another, you've just wasted time and gas (money).

What if you are elderly, pregnant, or have some other hindrance/disability that doesn't qualify you for handicapped parking? 100 yards could seem like miles.

Does it really bother me that I, personally, have to walk another hundred yards? Not really. But it could be of great benefit to others.

I bet some penny-ante local politician would kiss you for the idea of expanding disabled placards to pregnant women and seniors. Talk about a feel-good issue.

It's not necessarily about being lazy; if you miss the open spot in a lot, then have to drive to another, you've just wasted time and gas (money).

Wow, how fast are these people driving through parking lots or looking for a parking spot? If you miss one because of this reason, I'd have to say the person wasn't paying attention or simply going to quick to realize they just past an open spot.

Sure I could see the elderly, pregnant and disability reasons, but typically many of those do qualify for a handicap placard anyways. If they do have one of those ailments though, they will inevitably look for a spot close to the front anyways. So exactly how is this going to benefit them? And I have very little doubt it will be the crowd who do not fall into the above categories using this feature to their benefit to get the closest spot to the Krispy Kreme much more.

Nice idea, way to increase the price of a car and potential selling point. But personally I find it as just another item to increase our societies laziness.

Nice idea, way to increase the price of a car and potential selling point. But personally I find it as just another item to increase our societies laziness.

I'm sure it's 99.9% software (there are already proximity and other sensors on the car), so I'm sure the additional cost for the car is maybe a few bucks. It's not going to raise the cost of the car that much. But, it may make a Ford stand out to a customer just enough to make him/her choose it over brand x.

I do agree, if you cant park, or even parellel park then you just dont have the brain cells to drive, but unfortunately we do not give driver licenses according to brain cells or genetic codes. Doesnt hurt to have this feature though, and they will have to pay for it. Its just like my friend who has the self parellel parking feature on her Flex which she brags about, yet here I do the same without having to turn my neck and do it in one big swoop. Just lets you know who is weak, who needs help. And if Ford can make a profit by someone being "weak and stupid" so be it. I'm all for people to "pay" for being stupid and/or lazy.

How much fun would that be to pull into a spot in a crowded lot with an open spot

behind you. Self Parker tries to drive around and get spot behind you.

By the time it gets there, put in reverse and take the spot behind you.

SP now drives around to other side to get your original spot, but you beat

it to it. Could be hours of fun in a crowded parking lot. Wonder if the thing

finally just gets pissed and rams you???

I bet some penny-ante local politician would kiss you for the idea of expanding disabled placards to pregnant women and seniors. Talk about a feel-good issue.

I've seen some businesses with spaces for pregant women and veterans. I doubt parking in those spaces can be legally enforced, but it's nice to see them going out of their way to at least try to offer it.

Just like cruise control, power steering, power windows, power brakes, power seats, power mirrors, parking assist, etc. Yet they are all commonplace. Better that Ford develop it instead of playing catchup when everyone else is offering it first.

Just like cruise control, power steering, power windows, power brakes, power seats, power mirrors, parking assist, etc. Yet they are all commonplace. Better that Ford develop it instead of playing catchup when everyone else is offering it first.

Steering, Windows, Brakes, Mirrors and Seat could all be seen just as much an assistance and safety feature of driving as they can for accommodating for laziness. PS and PB surely helped make the vehicle easier to drive, big safety feature. Have you seen those people swerving and reaching down/over to attempt to adjust their seat, roll-down their crank windows or adjust their passenger mirror? Agree, they should have adjusted these items prior to hitting the road. But having the feature at the flip of a switch makes all safer.

And I agree, parking assist can be seen as a convenience and safety feature, so people aren't running into others when parking. But parking is a basic driving element you should have to exhibit during your drivers test. If you need a system to assist you, personally I don't think you should be driving, since every time you travel in a car you'll inevitably need to park it.

What exact purpose does the parking spot finder play in driving safety? Other than finding the closest spot to wal-mart on black Friday so you don't hurt your back when carrying out all those gifts for the family?

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

What exact purpose does the parking spot finder play in driving safety? Other than finding the closest spot to wal-mart on black Friday so you don't hurt your back when carrying out all those gifts for the family?

Since I park out on the back 40 and use a cart to haul things I can't (or don't want to) carry, I can't address that from experience, but maybe that Parking Spot Finder would tell people to skip a spot that's too small and to not park so damned close to my car. I'm all in favor of technologies that will reduce the incidence of dings to my doors...

Call me old school but I cannot understand how anyone in the car business can drink the cool-aid when it comes to letting a motor vehicle go out on it's own and possibly do any number of things. Remember, the SYNC system, the BLIS system, the CROSS TRAFFIC system, PARK-AID system all currently are full of unreliable actions at some time or other ( I have to work on all of these systems). It may be that the system could be made to operate at 99%, but, to me it's just foolishness.

• Like 1