Lincoln Takes On Lexus In New Ads

Just a little too much throttle in the Eb series engines and boom there goes the gas and then some more so than a NA counterpart. Like somebody mentioned on here once I think part of the problem is a sizing issue sometimes.

In my experience with the 3,5L EB, if you keep it around 2-4K (WOT is 6) RPM, it doesn't make that big of a difference in MPG's...driving with your foot in it all the time will affect it. I've noticed that my gas mileage is better if I do a "pulse and coast" style of driving...for example, accelerate to speed, let off gas, then apply very little pressure to the accelerator to maintain speed.

The problem is that once you get into the boost on the car, that acceleration can be addicting ;)

there are advanced combustion studies in progress that will see Ecoboost engines leapfrog the best NA DI engines of today, those larger DI engines have just about reached their limit.

In the laboratory there is great promise for Ecoboost. But current crop of EB engines falls short of Ford's marketing hype. Numerous normally aspirated direct injection gasoline engines (and several port injected units as well) deliver notably better fuel economy, performance, and/or refinement compared to a Ford EcoBoost engine of similar power output.

• Like 4

In the laboratory there is great promise for Ecoboost. But current crop of EB engines falls short of Ford's marketing hype. Numerous normally aspirated direct injection gasoline engines (and several port injected units as well) deliver notably better fuel economy, performance, and/or refinement compared to a Ford EcoBoost engine of similar power output.

Yep and they are far less complicated and cheaper too.

In the labs they may perform, but real world they are a great disappointment in the fuel economy realm. They certainly do not live up to the hype. Who would have thought that adding more air into the engine would require adding more fuel.

Edited by EBFlex

Exactly, I love love the Fusion, but I can't get one without a EB motor that makes good power. I don't want to feather the throttle to stay out of the boost just to get decent mileage. I want to drive the car normal. The wife appears set on one, so we'll see how bad it is.

• Like 2

Well, at least in the F150 the EB hauls ass. The MPG sucks, but it's quickest in it's class and tows awesome. If the EB in the Fusion ripped it's competitors I wouldn't mind, but when it's slowest and worst MPG (when driven above snail pace)....why have it.

• Like 2

Well, at least in the F150 the EB hauls ass. The MPG sucks, but it's quickest in it's class and tows awesome. If the EB in the Fusion ripped it's competitors I wouldn't mind, but when it's slowest and worst MPG (when driven above snail pace)....why have it.

I recall that the EB 1.6 was actually the quickest to something like 30 or 40 mph but the small turbo prevented it from staying with the larger engined NA DIs in the top end.

I'm willing to cioncede that the Euro based Ecoboost engines may appear to be underachievers but I have a feeling that they encourage spirited driving

which probably acts against good fuel economy..... bear in mind that Ford also has hybrids for customers to buy if they want better economy,

I see that as a possible reason for just being a little backward with ultimate fuel economy in certain vehicles.

In fairness,

The Ecoboost V6 F150 does and doesn't use fuel, depending on whether you see it as a 6.2 replacement, in those eyes, an unladen Ecoboost

makes perfect sense and something Ford obviously knows about through researching what buyers actually do with their trucks. Most are actually

extra or double cabs that do occasional towing.

Edited by jpd80

In my experience with the 3,5L EB, if you keep it around 2-4K (WOT is 6) RPM, it doesn't make that big of a difference in MPG's...driving with your foot in it all the time will affect it. I've noticed that my gas mileage is better if I do a "pulse and coast" style of driving...for example, accelerate to speed, let off gas, then apply very little pressure to the accelerator to maintain speed.

The problem is that once you get into the boost on the car, that acceleration can be addicting ;)

You mean like getting onto the freeway with one of those double lanes that merges into one, and in the other lane is a 350Z who jumps on it.

Lets just say he got to see what "HOTSOSS" is all about. :yahoo:

A point of interest. My Sport is almost spot on, acceleration wise, to a 2008 manual 350Z which weighs 3300lbs vs my 4975lbs. AWD is the huge advantage over the "average" stick driver. :)

Oh Hydro, my Sport is getting better than EPA ratings with 15K on the clock and running on regular (it is rated on premium). This is the same as the many F150 drivers who are getting great mileage (here is a surprise, 3.73 geared trucks don't get as good of mileage as 3.15 geared trucks........................... HUGE surprise there, I'm sure). You don't see them yelling on every forum out there. They are the silent majority. The vocal minority are the ones complaining to high heaven. A helpful hint. There is this great fuel economy screen that gives you an instant readout. It really shows you how the engine uses fuel, and can really "train" you on how to use less.

I'm going to try my loop on the Sport with premium. I'm thinking I will see some pretty impressive mileage now that I know how to drive it economically (but not like an old lady, and we still have fun).

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 1

Because in the buyers mind, that little 'Eco' badge means they are saving polar bears and are easily influenced by marketing.