Lincoln Takes On Lexus In New Ads

DETROIT -- Lincoln is launching an advertising campaign today, themed "Luxury Uncovered,"

in which its 2014 MKZ takes some jabs at rival Lexus.

The commercials, which will run through at least the end of the year, will be shown on prime time

network and cable TV shows and will have a social media component.

But Lincoln officials said in a media briefing on the campaign Tuesday that they will not advertise

on the 2014 Super Bowl. Lincoln did run a spot on the 2013 Super Bowl, in advance of the launch

of the redesigned 2013 MKZ.

Lincoln has another launch on the horizon -- the MKC luxury compact crossover --

but officials have not announced when a production version will appear.

Several of the new spots, featuring the 2014 MKZ sedan, show young couples on a couch in a studio

posing questions to a pair of cars facing them: the Lincoln MKZ and the Lexus ES.

In one ad, the man says: "Which of you offers the largest retractable panoramic roof?"

The camera shifts to the cars, which don't utter words. Rather, cartoon-style bubbles appear.

The words "That's me" appear above the MKZ in answer to the roof question.

The words "I'm very shiny" appears above the Lexus.

The woman then says: "I want standard adaptive suspension. Anybody?"

The MKZ replies: "I have that." The Lexus says: "So shiny."

The man then asks: "Which of you offers inflatable rear-seat belts?"

The MKZ again says: "I have that." The Lexus says: "Inflatable what?"

A voiceover says: "When you're looking for a luxury car, make sure you ask the right questions."

In another spot, a couple is shown congratulating an MKZ on winning a 2013 JD Power APEAL

Award for best compact premium car. The silver MKZ says "Thank You." The camera returns to

the couple, and the woman says: "But wait, are you blushing?"

The camera goes back to the car, which has now turned red.

Lincoln is in the midst of an attempted reinvention that began with the launch of the redesigned

2013 MKZ last spring. Lincoln heralded the MKZ as the first in a new generation of Lincolns that

would appeal to a new, younger generation of owners Lincoln calls "progressive luxury customers.

The brand's U.S. sales have skidded 6 percent this year through September in an overall market

that has expanded 8 percent.

Andrew Frick, Lincoln group marketing manager, said the MKZ has begun winning more conquest customers.

The MKZ Hybrid in particular has won customers from other brands, he said.

"Conquest rates are over 45 percent with the hybrid," he said. The two vehicles most frequently traded for

an MKZ are the Lexus ES and Toyota Prius, he said.

Lincoln earlier announced it was doubling production of the MKZ Hybrid from 20 percent to 40 percent of the mix.

The MKZ Hybrid has also helped lower the average Lincoln owner age, one of the highest in the industry.

The average age of the 2013 MKZ Hybrid owner is 57, compared with 61 for the previous MKZ Hybrid.

The average household income has also risen to $122,000 for 2013 MKZ Hybrid owners. Lincoln did not

give an average income figure for the previous model.

Lincoln will begin the advertising campaign with the MKZ and follow later with ads for some other models,

including the MKX crossover.

The ads were created by Lincoln's ad agency Hudson Rouge, an affiliate of Ford's Team Detroit.

You can reach Bradford Wernle at bwernle@crain.com.

shim.gif

Lincoln needs to be careful with this kind of direct comparison while they are still ramping up feature content. There's still a bevy of features offered on a lot of Lexus vehicles that no Lincoln can offer, so they have to be aware of possible counterpunches.

Really? I think the MKZ has every feature the ES offers and more.

standard on ES: in-glass AM/FM antenna, remote window/moonroof opening, smart stop, water-repellant front glass

optional on ES: power seat cushion extender, wiper de-icer, intelligent high beams, pre-collision system

Not sure if ALL of those are things the MKZ doesn't offer, but I think so.

standard on ES: in-glass AM/FM antenna, remote window/moonroof opening, smart stop, water-repellant front glass

optional on ES: power seat cushion extender, wiper de-icer, intelligent high beams, pre-collision system

The MKZ has global open and close (windows/moonroof) and intelligent high beams.

The MKZ also has LED headlamps, Lincoln Ride Control and auto-parallel park that I don't think the ES offers at all.

? and on that list, if I was in the market....isnt one feature I would deem imperative........

Edited by Deanh

Speaking as someone whose car has that feature, it isn't all it's cracked up to be (particularly when it comes to AM reception), but I'm pretty sure the MKZ has it--just not on the ones with the giant BAMR.

Sounds like things haven't changed much from the days of the old GM windshield antennas. The AM radio in my aunt's 1977 Ford Pinto had far better reception than the AM-FM stereo system in my parents' 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale.

Personally I think they're planning a big campaign for next year when they roll out the MKC, MKX and Navi along with black/red/green label, etc.

They're just treading water for now.

Maybe they're testing out different types of ad campaigns. This would be a good time to do it.

Edited by akirby

Sadly, most buyers only care about this one standard feature not found on the Lincoln:

0x600.jpg

actually, I think more and more ( based on witnessing what people are driving when they come to look at our Ford Products ) people are seeing beyond badge snobbery.....

Edited by Deanh

The MKZ has global open and close (windows/moonroof) and intelligent high beams.

The MKZ also has LED headlamps, Lincoln Ride Control and auto-parallel park that I don't think the ES offers at all.

Good to know on the first two. I wasn't sure on both of those, but I was in a hurry posting the list.

The ES offers park assist as well. Their system (although regarded by reviews I've seen as not as good as the Ford system) debuted even before Ford's did.

Personally I think they're planning a big campaign for next year when they roll out the MKC, MKX and Navi along with black/red/green label, etc.

They're just treading water for now.

Maybe they're testing out different types of ad campaigns. This would be a good time to do it.

It is a bit difficult to assemble a coherent advertising strategey when you don't have a coherent brand. Like you, I think it will come together a bit better as the lineup begins to flesh out a bit more.

actually, I think more and more ( based on witnessing what people are driving when they come to look at our Ford Products ) people are seeing beyond badge snobbery.....

But lets hope they stick around. Too many MKZ's I see reported on this and other sites with issue. Very poor quality launch which may turn away repeat owners.

Just FYI - my Titanium Fusion has both of those features as well.

Wish I could open/close the Vista roof on my Edge using the remote. :(

I do love the remote start though.

Another complaint while I'm at it: Ford offers one-touch up and down windows. WTF can't they make it so the Vista roof can fully close with one touch? It's even more annoying than windows because it goes so much slower.

Edited by NickF1011

Wish I could open/close the Vista roof on my Edge using the remote. :(

I do love the remote start though.

Another complaint while I'm at it: Ford offers one-touch up and down windows. WTF can't they make it so the Vista roof can fully close with one touch? It's even more annoying than windows because it goes so much slower.

Same complaint on our 08 Edge. I think it's just because they don't have the same sensors as the windows, but I'm not sure why.

But lets hope they stick around. Too many MKZ's I see reported on this and other sites with issue. Very poor quality launch which may turn away repeat owners.

Just be aware that you see a handful of complaints compared to the thousands of MKZs sold every month,

those problem cars may not be a true reflection of the quality standard the majority of owners experience.

The ES offers park assist as well. Their system (although regarded by reviews I've seen as not as good as the Ford system) debuted even before Ford's did.

ES only has parking sensors -- it will not park itself like the MKZ will. I think only the Lexus with auto park is the LS.