MKC Final Form Pics

You haven't shown at all how they resemble the Escape more than any other CUV on the market.

Okay whatever, you're right, they look absolutely nothing alike. Nothing about the MKC would tell you it's related to the Escape. Heck, you'd think one was built by Mercedes and the other by Fiat they are so dissimilar.

• Like 1

Wonder if Lincoln will offer a similar trim level as is offered on the Kuga Titanium X Sport which includes body-coloured front, rear and side skirts, body-coloured wheel arches,& some other items.

The only area where I can see if not changed on the production MKC is the rear lower valance exhaust area, shown in these latest pics as being the same as the Escape.

I am sure the auto bloggers will be all over that design similarities.

Besides that the MKC looks like a small updated MKX.

521631280afe9.jpg

Edited by MKII

Okay whatever, you're right, they look absolutely nothing alike. Nothing about the MKC would tell you it's related to the Escape. Heck, you'd think one was built by Mercedes and the other by Fiat they are so dissimilar.

Aside from a few seemingly carryover hardpoints (like the B-pillar as I mentioned) and having a similar beltline, yeah, I do think they look that much different.

You consider your conclusions to be self-evident. They are not.

As do you and others conclusions who state they don't share resemblance.

Check the comments on the autoblog page, plenty of people there believe there isn't enough differentiation between the two products. So clearly I am not the only one who believes this.

Again, lets just agree to disagree. You like the product and think they look nothing alike. Me, I'm not to fond of the MKC and think it shares quite a bit of resemblance. Clearly I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine. Agreed?

• Like 1

Check the comments on the autoblog page, plenty of people there believe there isn't enough differentiation between the two products. So clearly I am not the only one who believes this.

That's because they're negatards who already know they share a platform and don't like the idea of platform sharing in the first place. If you show somebody who doesn't know anything about the platforms there is no way they'll see any resemblance.

• Like 1

"I like this design" is not the same as "it looks too much like the Escape."

"I think it looks fine" is not the same as "there are only slight differences in the fender."

Your inability to understand this is certainly not my problem.

Hmm, if we refer to my original post in this thread, I stated cab (greenhouse) design share resemblance to the Escape, that was it. Read through the thread and plenty of people stated in a nut shell "no one will mistake this for an Escape". So my reference is critiquing, but them saying no one will mistake the two (MKC/Escape) isn't critiquing? Sounds like critiquing to me.

Who brought up the fenders comment? Believe it was Nick and I simply replied to his comment on the fenders. (Sorry Nick if you weren't the one who initially posted the fender comment.)

Yup, none of those quotes below were critiquing.

Very nice. I don't believe that anyone will mistake this for an Escape.

Ok, so its obviously an Escape with a split wing grille.

Even with that funky paint job, the MKC is still better looking than the Escape. The MKC just seems a tab bit better proportioned to me.

Yeah, no difference in the fender or pillar shapes at all. The only pillar that looks like it might be shared is the B-pillar. Windshield rake appears different. Door openings are definitely different (look near the side mirrors for confirmation) Absolutely nothing on the body appears shared aft of the C-pillar. And when you add all that together, you basically have nothing at all that's the same!

My ability to understand is just fine. If you believe I have a problem with understanding, that's actually your problem not mine.

• Like 1

That's because they're negatards who already know they share a platform and don't like the idea of platform sharing in the first place. If you show somebody who doesn't know anything about the platforms there is no way they'll see any resemblance.

Par for the course. If they don't believe in your view, they are a negatard, and evidently you know every single poster to know none of them like platform sharing.

And wow, my father in law must be simply amazing, cause he knew the MKZ and Fusion were siblings without anyone ever telling him. While I agree, many may not see resemblance nor know they share a platform, I have no doubt there are plenty of people out there who will know they share platforms or look similar too.

• Like 1

Again, lets just agree to disagree. You like the product and think they look nothing alike. Me, I'm not to fond of the MKC and think it shares quite a bit of resemblance. Clearly I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine. Agreed?

personally I see both points of veiw, those in the know will see semblence, those not wont...myself, i do wish they had pushed the envelope a tad more, but playing conservative may ultimately alienate less and generate better sales results....

• Like 1

Yup, none of those quotes below were critiquing.

If you can't see the difference between this:

Very nice. I don't believe that anyone will mistake this for an Escape.

and this:

The cabin (greenhouse) does have an Escape resemblance

then I just can't help you.

And, further, if you feel compelled to comment on differentiation between CUVs after saying this:

I'm not a CUV fan what so ever. To me, too many of the design elements are copy cat of other makes/models and not enough uniqueness between them.

then I really can't help you.

personally I see both points of veiw, those in the know will see semblence, those not wont...myself, i do wish they had pushed the envelope a tad more, but playing conservative may ultimately alienate less and generate better sales results....

• Like 1

Those who want to see a resemblance will.

And push the envelope how exactly? I'm certainly glad they didn't go the Evoque route by making it so radical it begins to lose functionality. By keeping it functional and practical, yes, it's going to resemble other functional and practical CUV's. In related news, most tennis shoes (even really expensive ones) look similar.

Edited by NickF1011

And wow, my father in law must be simply amazing, cause he knew the MKZ and Fusion were siblings without anyone ever telling him. While I agree, many may not see resemblance nor know they share a platform, I have no doubt there are plenty of people out there who will know they share platforms or look similar too.

He did say Escape and MKC, not MKZ and Fusion...

If you can't see the difference between this:

and this:

then I just can't help you.

And, further, if you feel compelled to comment on differentiation between CUVs after saying this:

Someone thinking no one will mistake the two, which is their opinion, is okay. But me believing a particular section based on similar styling cues, which is my opinion, whether you agree or disagree, is not okay?

Okay, so because I'm not a fan of CUV's, and because I believe too many of them share similar styling aspects, whether it be a CR-V, Rav4, Sportage or whatnot means I can't comment on the subject?

If you think that it's okay to just say stuff and refuse to back it up with *evidence* (e.g. photo comparisons) when requested, then please stop posting here.

Evidence? And aren't most comments being made currently subjective and opinions based on personal views? I think said area looks X way, you disagree and believe it looks Y way. Until we compare site to side, no camo and final products, aren't any statements being made simply opinion based on what we can/can't see as of now?

So when I provided my comments regarding the two semi-profile pics of the MKC and Escape, what exact evidence am I supposed to provide? I provided my comments based on my view point of looking at those two pictures. If you or anyone else see it differently, I'm not trying to say or prove you wrong, just saying this is what I see and where I believe the likeness elements exist. Why is it so hard to simply disagree with me if you don't see what I see, instead of to bulldoze me in an attempt to try an prove me wrong?

He did say Escape and MKC, not MKZ and Fusion...

I understand that, was simply using this as a point. He stated no one would know the MKC and Escape are on the same platform unless they knew it before hand.

I was using those two products (MKZ/Fusion) as an example, as my father in law saw the MKZ when the Escape he's driving was at the dealer. He could see the similarities between the MKZ and Fusion from the get go. So not knowing they were the same platform prior, he could tell they had a lot in common.

And being he drives the 2013 Escape now and will be getting a 2014 soon, I'd venture to guess he'd notice the commonality in overall shape between the MKC and Escape too.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to rationalize that if Chevy and Buick mid-size vehicle, with area's of commonality, that they may be sharing underpinnings. Is it true 100% of the time, no. But it is a fairly accurate assumption to make knowing how much platform sharing manufacturers do these day across their brands.

I understand that, was simply using this as a point. He stated no one would know the MKC and Escape are on the same platform unless they knew it before hand.

I was using those two products (MKZ/Fusion) as an example, as my father in law saw the MKZ when the Escape he's driving was at the dealer. He could see the similarities between the MKZ and Fusion from the get go. So not knowing they were the same platform prior, he could tell they had a lot in common.

And being he drives the 2013 Escape now and will be getting a 2014 soon, I'd venture to guess he'd notice the commonality in overall shape between the MKC and Escape too.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to rationalize that if Chevy and Buick mid-size vehicle, with area's of commonality, that they may be sharing underpinnings. Is it true 100% of the time, no. But it is a fairly accurate assumption to make knowing how much platform sharing manufacturers do these day across their brands.

So in other words, you are complaining about perceived similarities between a Ford and a Lincoln even though it's acceptable that everybody else does it as well? :headscratch:

So in other words, you are complaining about perceived similarities between a Ford and a Lincoln even though it's acceptable that everybody else does it as well? :headscratch:

Exactly where did I say it was acceptable for other brands to do it? Where did I say it was not okay for Ford to do it?

My simple opinion based post was that I didn't find the MKC overly attractive and saw some similarities to the Escape. I do not know why this has blown into such a bigger issue. It has absolutely nothing to do with platform sharing. It got to where it is because I said I didn't like it overall and saw commonality between the two.

Exactly where did I say it was acceptable for other brands to do it? Where did I say it was not okay for Ford to do it?

My simple opinion based post was that I didn't find the MKC overly attractive and saw some similarities to the Escape. I do not know why this has blown into such a bigger issue. It has absolutely nothing to do with platform sharing. It got to where it is because I said I didn't like it overall and saw commonality between the two.

Because you are the only one who seems to see the great commonality between it and the Escape specifically. Yes, it is derivative of most small CUV's, the Escape being amongst them. But based on what can be seen in the spy shots, it doesn't appear to resemble the Escape specifically more than any of the others. It seems the only reason you are saying it is because you know it's based on the Escape already. Really, if we didn't know that this was the MKC in camo, there could be speculation that it was any number of other vehicles from other automakers without some thorough investigating and comparison.

Edited by NickF1011

It looks more like a Rav4 than an Escape.

It's tempting to hop into photoshop with some of these vehicles, take the silhouettes of them all and then see if anyone can positively identify which ones are which without looking them over thoroughly.

I'm looking forward to the MKC reveal when I can see a direct overlap of it and the Escape so we can point out all of the places it's entirely different. But that will have to wait a few more weeks. :(

Okay, so because I'm not a fan of CUV's, and because I believe too many of them share similar styling aspects, whether it be a CR-V, Rav4, Sportage or whatnot means I can't comment on the subject?

In a word: yes.

And regarding the difference between grbeck's comments and yours:

"Very nice. No one will mistake a Braque for a Picasso."

"There's a similarity between Braque's use of line and Picasso's during his cubist phase."

--

One is a transparently naive statement. It's 'puffery'. It's the same as saying, "This is the best pizza I've ever tasted."

The other requires that the person making the statement be able to demonstrate some basic competence in the subject at hand. And the comment should, preferably, not be made by someone who has just said, "to me, all Cubist paintings look similar."

Edited by RichardJensen