Smartphones get more sophisticated, but their owners do not

This would help explain why People are having such hard time with Sync/MFC/manufacture of choice infotainment systems....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/smartphones-get-more-sophisticated-but-their-owners-do-not/2014/01/15/99d7e100-7a20-11e3-8963-b4b654bcc9b2_story.html?tid=sm_fb

Didn't need an article to tell me people are stupid :P :P

Maybe it's because I've grown up with most of this stuff, but is it really that hard? Push on what you want and it does it lol (yes, I know there's more to it than that).

Edited by rmc523

Phones are now multi-tasking tools. They are not just for calling people anymore. Gone are the days when you picked up the receiver (or pushed the power button), and dialed. You now have menus and contact lists and options to text, call, Skype, Facebook, or e-mail, among others. I can see where someone who wants to just use a phone as a phone, would consider it overly complicated. This is now carrying over to cars as well.

If you notice none of the people complaining even attempted to read a user guide or do a google search for how to do what they wanted to do. Much like car owners refuse to read their owner's manuals. People expect to be spoon fed and are too lazy to learn anything for themselves.

• Like 1

...attempted to read a user guide or do a google search for how to do what they wanted to do. Much like car owners refuse to read their owner's manuals. People expect to be spoon fed and are too lazy to learn anything for themselves.

You know, that bugs me more than anything else. Being a software consultant, I have the opportunity (good or bad) to mentor quite a few developers. A few in particular have no ability to google anything whatsoever! These are guys (and gals) making good money, but can't code their way out of a HelloWorld() method! I get so many questions "how do I do this?" "why is this error showing up?". And I ask "did you google it?" "Yeah, but I can't find anything". 45 seconds later I'm sending them the code to fix their problem after a quick google search!

It's not WHAT you know, but if you know HOW to find out what you need.

• Like 3

You know, that bugs me more than anything else. Being a software consultant, I have the opportunity (good or bad) to mentor quite a few developers. A few in particular have no ability to google anything whatsoever! These are guys (and gals) making good money, but can't code their way out of a HelloWorld() method! I get so many questions "how do I do this?" "why is this error showing up?". And I ask "did you google it?" "Yeah, but I can't find anything". 45 seconds later I'm sending them the code to fix their problem after a quick google search!

Exactly. I guess googling is a skill. I can usually find whatever I need to find in 5 minutes, if it exists.

Case in point: my Sony Bravia LED tv has a bad t-con board that I'm going to replace myself for about $75. How did I know this? I googled it, found youtube videos describing the same problem and other youtube videos showing you where to order the part and how to replace it. I also found an extended warranty from Sony on other models but not mine. Took less than 30 minutes.

Then again, I read my owner's manual cover to cover - usually before I get the vehicle. I can't stand the thought of having some feature that I could be using but don't know about or needing to do something and not knowing how to do it.

• Like 4

My nickname at home is Google, if there is a question that no one has the answer to I Google it because I can't stand not to learn something new. I have read the owners manual for every car I have owned and read the one for my MKZ before I even got the car.

My nickname at home is Google, if there is a question that no one has the answer to I Google it because I can't stand not to learn something new. I have read the owners manual for every car I have owned and read the one for my MKZ before I even got the car.

Heck, any more, all I do is ask my phone. Don't even have to type anything!

If you notice none of the people complaining even attempted to read a user guide or do a google search for how to do what they wanted to do. Much like car owners refuse to read their owner's manuals. People expect to be spoon fed and are too lazy to learn anything for themselves.

Yes, up to a point. A good user design, that takes into account human factors, shouldn't require reading an owner's manual for most operations. But sometimes, especially with new features that the user has no concept of how they work, referring to a properly written owner's manual should provide them with all the information they need. The other key is "search for how to do what they wanted to do". Owner's manual shouldn't just simply be a list of features and how they work, but more of a task based list, anticipating that a customer may not even know what feature they're looking for but they know what task they want to do.

Oh boy, great topic! My day job, third level support and development. I get a lot of question, how do I do this or that, etc. I generally counter, did you look in our KB? Did you use Google for an answer? Generally, I hear, "that's why you're here" Another one I like, but you work on computers. How come you don't know what I mean? Gee, I love the statement, my system's running slow? Oh yeah, ask what's slow then you see the blank look.

I keep telling people, Google is your friend! GIYF!

We can go on and on........................