Holy Crap! 1969 GT500 Barn Find -- Not A Joke

What a waste of a car...buys it and hides it in a barn...then dies 30+ years later and it goes to auction....what a freaking waste. Now a drunken testesterone fueled bidding war will put a stupid high price on it and it will sit in some rich guys museum for another 20 years until he dies. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Better than the kid who buys one coming back from Nam and wraps it around a pole 6 months later I guess.

• Like 1

I agree it was a waste, but after taking a look at that page, I'm wondering if this guy had more $$$ then he knew what to do with or had some sort of mental disabitity....I saw a 2010/11 Escape on there with just 90 miles on it? Some of the other cars where well used, while others like the Mustang where barely driven.

What a waste of a car...buys it and hides it in a barn...then dies 30+ years later and it goes to auction....what a freaking waste. Now a drunken testesterone fueled bidding war will put a stupid high price on it and it will sit in some rich guys museum for another 20 years until he dies. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Better than the kid who buys one coming back from Nam and wraps it around a pole 6 months later I guess.

What was the name of that race driver who actually took some Mustangs to Vietnam during the war in an effort to show young GI's how to drive the cars without killing themselves? The toured the country but I just can't recall his name. Cool story though and they really did have a lot of young guys who got home from Nam, bought a muscle car and proceeded to get in serious, often fatal, car crashes. It was one of the driving forces behind the spike in insurance costs during that time.

After more than 200,000 miles, three engines, three transmissions and a complete rebuild from the ground up, I can say my '64 1/2 has been well enjoyed by its three owners over the last (almost) 50 years since it was delivered on May 15, 1964. I have no desire to ever own a car that I can't drive and enjoy.

• Like 3

I agree it was a waste, but after taking a look at that page, I'm wondering if this guy had more $$$ then he knew what to do with or had some sort of mental disabitity....I saw a 2010/11 Escape on there with just 90 miles on it? Some of the other cars where well used, while others like the Mustang where barely driven.

It's interesting that he took the most effort to preserve the most desirable vehicle, which suggests he had some idea that it might be worth a fair amount of money in the future.

I'll bet that the low mileage on the Escape was the result of end-of-life health issues that prevented him from driving much, if at all.

The Shelby came from Eger Ford in McKeesport, PA. That's where the Fords my family owned in the '60s all came from.

Some of the others are interesting, especially the Ranchero and '74 Ford Van:

1971 Ford Ranchero GT 351 Cleveland – 4-spd. - Shaker hood - black on black - vintage fiberglass bed cover - 53,709 miles - 1-owner w/ (2) build sheets & original bill of sale -special order new and sold at Miller McVeigh, State College, PA. #1A48M257527,

2012 Ford Escape Limited – V6 Flex Fuel w/ only 90 original miles VIN#1FMCU9EG8CKC39876,

2009 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 pickup truck – 4.0L V6 – 5-spd. manual - w/ Leer 700 bed cover w/ 41,504 miles VIN#1FTZR45E29PA49052,

1997 Ford Explorer Sport Control Trac 4x4 – 4.0L V6 w/ 38,720 miles VIN#1FMCU24E2VU,

1974 Ford Econoline Custom 100 van – 302 w/ 3-spd. manual trans. - 1-owner customized w/ shag carpet & refrigerator w/ 554 original miles -VIN#E14GHV66795 - ordered and sold new at Miller McVeigh Ford, State College, PA. - we were told that this van was purchased new by Mr. Brown and then driven to OH. for its custom conversion - most if not all of the miles are believed to have been accumulated to and from the conversion company - very vintage and retro cool with authentic custom paint, original shag carpet and other upgrades of the period - it has been undisturbed and other than the aging from storage, it appears like a new vehicle with extremely low miles,

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L V8 - w/ 29,119 miles VIN#1FACP41EXLF,

1966 Ford F100 Fleetside short bed custom cab pickup truck - we were told that Mr. Brown acquired the truck and transported to PA. from AR. - it appears to be very solid and virtually rust free -V8 eng. – 2WD – 3-spd. manual trans. - showing 54,410 miles,

1964 Ford F100 2WD Custom Cab Fleetside short bed pickup truck - no motor - no transmission - solid truck in need of restoration - extra parts included that were removed from another of Mr. Brown’s trucks…

2003 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster motorcycle, 1960 Harley-Davidson motorcycle w/ 7568 miles…

The pics of the cars and trucks are here: http://www.rgilliganauctions.com/4-25%20brown%20contents.html

Edited by Mark B. Morrow