Just another random shot of my car

Please tell me you're putting in a 2 post lift........

We're planning our retirement home out in the country. 2 or 3 car attached garage and a big red barn - 2 bay garage double deep so I can put my woodworking shop in the back and still have room for a lift and one other vehicle.

No lift at this point. I really don't do much of my own maintenance any more like I used to. I just don't have the time with 3 little kids. Maybe in the future, and my detached garage will have room if I decide to add it later.

We will have a 2 car garage upstairs and a 2 car downstairs. My wood working shop will be in the back of the basement garage as the garage will run the full 53' depth of the house on that side. My shed will be a 3 car 44'x40' detached garage with a 12' wide by 14' tall garage door to park our fifth wheel. One bay will hold my tractor.

This will be our retirement home as well (we ain't moving again! :)). We are making sure we get everything we want without going over the top. We were going to go with 4 bedrooms so each kid could have their own room, but decided to cut it back in size since we will be here 'forever'. It's going to be situated in the middle of 48 acres that I hope to add a lake to in the next 5-7 years.

We will have a couple extra bays for the time being if anyone would like to park their Mustang or any other classy ride there. Of course, I will take care of keeping it filled with gas and washed up for you. :)

Who pours a garage footing that isn't already at least that thick?

Standard floor thickness around here is 4", with 5" or 6" on suspended concrete floors. Our footing is 18"-24" based on where it's at in the house.

Then again, new houses sometimes ain't what they used to be.

Ain't that the truth! That's why I love living where I do. Everyone knows everyone, and there's no trying to short you on anything. As my contractor said "You see these guys in the store, you go to church with them. What are you going to do, f@ck them over and then see 'em in church on Sunday and say 'hey, how doing?'" Bad news travels fast in these small towns, and you don't stay in business long doing shoddy work. Our contractor is actually one of our neighbors that I have known for years. Only problem with him is, he drives a Chevy!

• Like 1

It's more about whether you want to go with the minimum or over-engineer it a little.

True. 4" does sound a bit on the low side to be regularly supporting a 2-ton vehicle on a post lift. When I finally get around to moving out to a single-family home from my townhouse, I'm definitely more inclined toward looking for a property where I can build a garage that can support and fit a lift too.

How do you change wheels using a 4 post lift? That's why I was leaning towards a 2 post.

They make a jacking system that fits between the ramps (inside) that you can use to jack with. Or you can simply use a bottle jack placed on the ramp and do one tire at a time.

They make a jacking system that fits between the ramps (inside) that you can use to jack with. Or you can simply use a bottle jack placed on the ramp and do one tire at a time.

My brother's 4 post lift has the jacking system. He has really been pleased with the lift (had for a few years now),

Good to know. I would prefer the 4 post as long as I can get all the wheels off the ground when necessary.

Does NHRA use 2 or 4 post lifts? :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

We will have a couple extra bays for the time being if anyone would like to park their Mustang or any other classy ride there. Of course, I will take care of keeping it filled with gas and washed up for you. :)

Even for a REDS FAN?! :drool:

Edited by danglin

How do you change wheels using a 4 post lift?

I put a floor jack on the rail under the car. Works fine for me, even on my LS.

The one thing I would recommend is that the bay with the lift have a really high ceiling. 11 feet from the floor to the 2nd floor joists isn't quite enough room for my LS, and was barely enough room to get my '91 F150 4x4 off the ground. It was better than crawling around on the floor when I was changing the clutch, but spending a weekend stooped over wasn't exactly the most funnest thing my back has ever experienced.

I'm not sure my '13 F150 can even get through the door and onto the lift; it's a bit tall, and you hit the ramps around 18" into the garage. My dad's F350 4x4 Crew Cab is too tall to clear the garage door header. He keeps threatening to take the lift down to his workshop, which has 14' clear, plus no joists.