Chevy Trax coming to US

Anthony

Hopefully Ford internally is hopefully scrambling to get the EcoSport launched here. They are going to come very late to the microSUV party, and not being in this segment will cost them sales for years as people become loyal to a brand. The HR-V and Renegade will be a very popular, these Micro SUV's will be taking sales from the Fiesta and Focus.

That thinking is a bit specious. The Explorer, Edge and Escape were all late entries to their respective segments.

That thinking is a bit specious. The Explorer, Edge and Escape were all late entries to their respective segments.

While you are correct in relation to brand, I do think Jason is correct that vehicles like the Trax, Renegade, and HR-V could impact Fiesta and Focus sales.

The Explorer was really the first into its segment, there was the Cherokee and 4runner but they hardly had the refinement that the Explorer had at the time, The same can be said for the Escape. Edge's only true competition to this day is the Murano and had Nissan not killed the styling it would be more of a player (the new one looks to gain some back as in pics it looks much better). Also the market has changed when the Explorer and Escape launched there was much larger share owned by Ford automatically giving it shoppers in its dealerships. For a company that basically invented the driveway SUV not having an entry level one is a huge oversight in the market with the largest SUV marketshare. It is hard to gain share when you come to the party late and when there is already great product out in that segment.

This is the next market that will explode in the US market. With Gen Y moving to cities and still needing transportation you need to be in this market to make sure you have future buyers. Will Ford compete in this in a few years -- maybe, but not being in with the first with a great product is something that could cost the company 10 years from now.

Ford of late seems all about profit, and they are not willing to accept less profit for the long term stability of the company. They are missing opportunities, are starting to have dumb quality issues creeping back in, and making ordering of models more complicated to find what you want with more and more packages.

The Explorer was really the first into its segment, there was the Cherokee and 4runner but they hardly had the refinement that the Explorer had at the time, The same can be said for the Escape.

I was speaking of the D4 explorer.

The Escape came out about four years after the CR-V and RAV4.

And the Edge displaced the first gen. Murano right out of the gate. It did not take a styling gaffe for the Edge to displace the Murano. The Edge was a better product from a company with a better reputation for that sort of product.

The notion that being a 'fast follower' is bad in an industry where the replacement cycle is approaching a decade is just not a sensible conclusion.

And let's not Forget that a good number of "experts" were saying that the new rounded Escape would not

sell anywhere near as well as the truckster and that plenty of past buyers would simply go elsewhere...

For me it doesn't matter long term when Ecosport arrives, the logistics of 1.0 EB engine supplies

and proper trim packages and appointments is much more critical.

I'm betting that GM shoots itself in the foot with Trax Vs Encore, i see a lot of internal competition with the two.

Edited by jpd80

And let's not Forget that a good number of "experts" were saying that the new rounded Escape would not

sell anywhere near as well as the truckster and that plenty of past buyers would simply go elsewhere...

For me it doesn't matter long term when Ecosport arrives, the logistics of 1.0 EB engine supplies

and proper trim packages and appointments is much more critical.

I'm betting that GM shoots itself in the foot with Trax Vs Encore, i see a lot of internal competition with the two.

This should have probably been a Chevrolet from the beginning. I'd bet the Encore would be the one to suffer more of the two if they do steal sales from one another.

But I think there's room for both as I think this will be a growing segment as CAFE pushes things in this direction and if gas prices creep up again.

Another thing:

I doubt very much that this movement in B-utes has Ford 'scrambling', as I expect this EcoSport was programmed with US volume in mind, and that a schedule for US launch has been approved.

I remember Fields saying something about this generation EcoSport coming here a while back.....or maybe it was just that Ford wouldn't consider importing it until this generation because quality/materials wasn't up to par.

Hopefully Ford internally is hopefully scrambling to get the EcoSport launched here. They are going to come very late to the microSUV party, and not being in this segment will cost them sales for years as people become loyal to a brand. The HR-V and Renegade will be a very popular, these Micro SUV's will be taking sales from the Fiesta and Focus.

Being late to certain segments (especially low margin ones as this one likely is) hasn't hurt them too much in the past. Being late with the right product is better than being on time with a product that isn't ready yet.

Being late to certain segments (especially low margin ones as this one likely is) hasn't hurt them too much in the past. Being late with the right product is better than being on time with a product that isn't ready yet.

Given the prices of B-Segment Utilities are much higher than B-Segment cars like Fiesta, I think the profitability of Ecosport would be similar to Focus

but I also wonder too whether some Focus buyer would be tempted to switch to a Subcompact Ute while still getting impressive economy.

Edited by jpd80

Given the prices of B-Segment Utilities are much higher than B-Segment cars like Fiesta, I think the profitability of Ecosport would be similar to Focus

but I also wonder too whether some Focus buyer would be tempted to switch to a Subcompact Ute while still getting impressive economy.

I also doubt margins are particularly high on the Focus either.

GM should kill the Captiva, it's dated, and cheap looking. See them all over OHare aiport, but dealers don't promote them for 'used car specials' as current retail CUV's.

Some are complaining about GM offering Buick/Chevy versions, but then what about Ford/Lincoln?

Some are complaining about GM offering Buick/Chevy versions, but then what about Ford/Lincoln?

It would be okay if there was just a Buick and Chevy version. But if it's successful, watch and see, there will be a GMC version. And then Cadillac will want a piece of the pie.

Plus there's the evidence that the existence of the Buick version will likely just keep the Chevy version from getting features it should rightfully have if its brand positioning was similar to other mainstream automotive brands. GM artificially maintains a market for Buick by giving it features you should just be able to get on a Chevrolet.

Edited by NickF1011

Compared to the Fusion on up, probably not. Obviously they are good enough to sustain itself.

Dead right and without two tier wages I bet Focus would have gone to Mexico (CAFE car considerations excepted)

Not too many new Ford products below $20K these days....

Edited by jpd80