Need some help/advice.

Last May 17th we bought a 2013 Fusion.

At 2000 miles (end of May), the threads in the driver's seat started fraying & unraveling. My wife's father was ill (passed in November) and lived 300 miles from us. She was making a trip every week and we racked up some miles pretty quickly.

At 6000 miles (June) we had a chance to take the car in and have it looked at. The service department took pictures and sent them in for approval. The claim was denied. We appealed and was denied again.The Field rep wanted to see the seat so we took it back again. I called Ford customer service and was told that, in a nut shell, that the claim was denied and that was it. End of story.

The salesman, service dept, and field rep all agree that it appears to have been an issue that we did not contribute to. There is no markings on the seat, and it is obvious we take care of the car. What makes it worse is that the seats are charcoal with red stitching.

I need to know what recourse I have from here. What really irks me is that I've bought 10 new Ford's off the lot and the only warranty claim I've had is my 1998 F-150's tranny went out at 20K miles.

Any help from "those that know" would be appreciated.

Last May 17th we bought a 2013 Fusion.

At 2000 miles (end of May), the threads in the driver's seat started fraying & unraveling. My wife's father was ill (passed in November) and lived 300 miles from us. She was making a trip every week and we racked up some miles pretty quickly.

At 6000 miles (June) we had a chance to take the car in and have it looked at. The service department took pictures and sent them in for approval. The claim was denied. We appealed and was denied again.The Field rep wanted to see the seat so we took it back again. I called Ford customer service and was told that, in a nut shell, that the claim was denied and that was it. End of story.

The salesman, service dept, and field rep all agree that it appears to have been an issue that we did not contribute to. There is no markings on the seat, and it is obvious we take care of the car. What makes it worse is that the seats are charcoal with red stitching.

I need to know what recourse I have from here. What really irks me is that I've bought 10 new Ford's off the lot and the only warranty claim I've had is my 1998 F-150's tranny went out at 20K miles.

Any help from "those that know" would be appreciated.

not quite sure why it wasnt covered given it was but a month....maybe they thought it was the result of the spiked and riveted pants those that are Gothic, prefer to wear....no idea, i would have thought at least they would have the courtesy of giving the reason behind their decision...

Other forums might have people like this, but, over at www.fordflex.net, there are actual Ford service people there that help owners with their issues. They use the same handle I believe, "FordCustomerService". Might be worth registering there and shooting them a PM to see if they can do anything for you (they have a pretty good record over there of helping get owners issues taken care of).

Chuck

We have Ford service reps available at fordedgeforums.com - I'm sure they'd be able to assist or at least get an answer for you. I assume the factory rep thought it was abuse.

Not sure why we don't have the reps at fordfusionforums.com - I'll work on that.

We don't get that many declines on pictures so I am interested in seeing them. Post some pictures if you can. I would like to see it. We have sent some seats out to a upholstery shop to have stitching and small issues repaired.

I do know that when a vehicle is out of warranty a dealer can use P18 money to repair something. I don't think they can use it if its under bumper to bumper and denied by digital imaging.

We don't get that many declines on pictures so I am interested in seeing them. Post some pictures if you can. I would like to see it. We have sent some seats out to a upholstery shop to have stitching and small issues repaired.

I do know that when a vehicle is out of warranty a dealer can use P18 money to repair something. I don't think they can use it if its under bumper to bumper and denied by digital imaging.

I'm thinking this is very unusual as well.

I will grab some new pictures tomorrow and post.

Other forums might have people like this, but, over at www.fordflex.net, there are actual Ford service people there that help owners with their issues. They use the same handle I believe, "FordCustomerService". Might be worth registering there and shooting them a PM to see if they can do anything for you (they have a pretty good record over there of helping get owners issues taken care of).

Chuck

Thanks...I will zoom right over there.

not quite sure why it wasnt covered given it was but a month....maybe they thought it was the result of the spiked and riveted pants those that are Gothic, prefer to wear....no idea, i would have thought at least they would have the courtesy of giving the reason behind their decision...

The "reason" was they thought something had pulled the threads or it was aggressive cleaning. It was neither.

If my 53 year old wife is running to NC & dressing in goth; I have more issues than a seat cover.

• Like 4

The "reason" was they thought something had pulled the threads or it was aggressive cleaning. It was neither.

If my 53 year old wife is running to NC & dressing in goth; I have more issues than a seat cover.

So if the thread pulled out, that would be poor workmanship I would think. Am I missing something?

LOL on the goth.

Sounds strange to me too. Ford covered the warranty work to repaint my outside driver's door handle that started peeling somewhere north of 30,000 miles. I could have much more likely seen them denying that claim saying it was a result of poor maintenance than they would the seat stitching. Hope you get some resolution!

I remember doing rear seat load on Taurus in '02 on '03 Taurii. The staples holding the rear seat fabric were popping out, some of the fabric was even rippling. Go tell the foreman on my break, watch him write an e-mail on it, he says thanks for the heads up. A month later, still happening. Changing Leadership values and getting those values pushed downwards is very very hard sometimes, especially if/when Leadership doesn't buy into the change in the first place...

I'd assume that the thread is in spec if the manufacturer has denied warranty claim, otherwise, the manufacturer would have stepped up and fixed their issue. Did they do that, or did they shaft a long time loyal owner over what to Ford is probably $300?

Edited by chucky2

I'd assume that the thread is in spec

Why would you assume that?

This vehicle isn't even a year old. If the thread were 'in spec', then it would be wearing out on most vehicles after less than a year of ownership. It's not.

So, again, why assume that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing?

It's interesting it's in like a line from the middle of the seat to the right of the seat going forward, like someones leg would be while sitting on it. Why would they use a thread that wore like that in such a short amount of time?

I think you have it backwards. As you go towards the front of the seat, the pattern is moving towards the middle of the of the seat, which would not be a normal sitting position. Unless that is what you meant, and my brain is not fully functioning at 7:30AM... :)

Edited by jinx8402

I think you have it backwards. As you go towards the front of the seat, the pattern is moving towards the middle of the of the seat, which would not be a normal sitting position. Unless that is what you meant, and my brain is not fully functioning at 7:30AM... :)

Oh, I thought the top of the photo was the back of the seat. I see what you're saying and agree: If the top of the photo is the front of the seat, that definitely is an non-natural wear pattern.

Why would you assume that?

This vehicle isn't even a year old. If the thread were 'in spec', then it would be wearing out on most vehicles after less than a year of ownership. It's not.

So, again, why assume that it's doing what it's supposed to be doing?

Let me make sure I understand you: Your argument is that Ford denied a warranty claim twice for a thread that is not in spec. Do I have that right?