PUTC: Next Gen Super Duty Spied with Aluminum!

For sure-

I don't think 550's are sold as other than chassis-no dualie option-might be wrong on that but I think dualie pick up stops at 450

That is correct. Maybe Ford's going to change that?

I just want to know if the F250 is going to have IFS and if there is going to be an EcoBoost option!

• Like 1

A dual dualie trailer like that was pulled by a F-450 and Ram 3500 in the last PUTC towing test, King of Beasts. And they are using them again this week for the 2014 HD Challenge.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/king-of-beasts.html

https://twitter.com/PickupTrucks/status/479492265128493056/photo/1

Edited by Bryan1

So many questions.... It appears as though the upcoming 650 and 750 does indeed use the current Super Duty cab. It might not be unreasonable to think that the current Super Duty steel cab could remain in production for the 650 and 750 even after the next generation Super Duty pickups/450/550 appear (Bob, remember when the '61-'66 F series cab remained in production until '69 for the 800-up series trucks?).

So, is the new 650 and 750 we have seen some sort of interim model, destined to be replaced in a few years? I don't think so. I think what we have seen is what we are going to get for quite some time. Maybe a new cab? Well, if the next gen. Super Duty is aluminum, my gut feeling would be no. Remember this new 650/750 is designed to be a low cost simple vehicle to insure profitability, and I have to believe an aluminum cab would be more expensive than a steel cab. Over time through amortization and volume perhaps the unit cost of an aluminum cab could come down.

That having been said, I have a hunch that the new 650 and 750 are going to need to show a profit fast or...........

As for GM, I don't think the Express and Savanna full size vans are going anywhere for some time. Rumor is the replacement is quite a ways down the pipeline and GM will pick up some additional sales for a limited time from those who are not ready for a Euro-style van just yet.

And at the end of the day, do we really know the next gen. Super Duty actually is going to have an aluminum body, or is this all just some cute B.S. designed to keep the competition wondering? Those videos looked staged to me! Like I walk around with an automatic transmission pan magnet in my pocket all the time......

So many questions.... It appears as though the upcoming 650 and 750 does indeed use the current Super Duty cab. It might not be unreasonable to think that the current Super Duty steel cab could remain in production for the 650 and 750 even after the next generation Super Duty pickups/450/550 appear (Bob, remember when the '61-'66 F series cab remained in production until '69 for the 800-up series trucks?).

So, is the new 650 and 750 we have seen some sort of interim model, destined to be replaced in a few years? I don't think so. I think what we have seen is what we are going to get for quite some time. Maybe a new cab? Well, if the next gen. Super Duty is aluminum, my gut feeling would be no. Remember this new 650/750 is designed to be a low cost simple vehicle to insure profitability, and I have to believe an aluminum cab would be more expensive than a steel cab. Over time through amortization and volume perhaps the unit cost of an aluminum cab could come down.

That having been said, I have a hunch that the new 650 and 750 are going to need to show a profit fast or...........

As for GM, I don't think the Express and Savanna full size vans are going anywhere for some time. Rumor is the replacement is quite a ways down the pipeline and GM will pick up some additional sales for a limited time from those who are not ready for a Euro-style van just yet.

And at the end of the day, do we really know the next gen. Super Duty actually is going to have an aluminum body, or is this all just some cute B.S. designed to keep the competition wondering? Those videos looked staged to me! Like I walk around with an automatic transmission pan magnet in my pocket all the time......

Just got done posting this on the E-Series transmission thread: Do you think it's coincidence that the 650 and 750 are being assembled alongside the E-Series mediums? Why would Ford consolidate thus far and no farther? There is ample opportunity to consolidate the entire cab among those three vehicles, which would address the visibility shortcomings of the current 650/750.

And *of course* those videos were staged. You think Ford engineers didn't either arrange for that demonstration to take place, or tacitly permit it to take place? Here it is broad daylight, and where's the Ford engineer rushing out of a restaurant/motel room/whatever yelling at the spy photographers to leave?

But that doesn't mean the test was *faked*.

• Like 1

Assuming we are talking beyond 2016, just from a production efficiency perspective, you would think they would---again assuming they continue to use the Super Duty cab. Now if 650/750 end up with their own unique cab who knows. Freightliner MD's are aluminum cabs right? Navistar-steel, Paccar-F'glass/aluminum??

I would think the driver for aluminum in low end SD's (250, 350) is more of a fuel efficiency issue. I would have to think that the weight advantage in a class 6/7 truck is strictly a payload issue as opposed to a fuel issue. Is lighter better in ANY class truck? Is fueI efficiency a consideration in any class?- I would think so for sure but IMO not as critical as it is in say class 2-3 where MPG is a bigger marketing, corp. cafe consideration.

Aren't SuperDuties exempt from CAFE requirements due to weight?

sJust got done posting this on the E-Series transmission thread: Do you think it's coincidence that the 650 and 750 are being assembled alongside the E-Series mediums? Why would Ford consolidate thus far and no farther? There is ample opportunity to consolidate the entire cab among those three vehicle, which would address the visibility shortcomings of the current 650/750.

Agree. this goes back to the thought that perhaps when the dust settles once Avon Lake is up and running building 650/750, the next evolution will involve a new cab structure based on certain Transit glass house/cab components. In my own mind, if 650/750 cab structure is no longer based on shared SD 250-550 components does the argument then exist that there will be one cab structure for 150-550. Lets face it-internal dimensions are almost the same. Firewall mods to accommodate 6.7? Probably, but not out of the question IMO

7M- for sure I remember (sad to say!) when the F-100-F-750 got the new cab in 67. F-800's on carried on with the old modified "high roof" Super Duty cab. All this while Ford was spending how many millions building what was then the biggest heavy duty truck plant in the world- KTP Talk about a lot on their plate-this makes the current scenario at Avon Lake look like chump change.

As for your comment on the need to quickly show a profit, my initial skepticism on the "no spec" 650/750 ("any color as long as its black") has changed to one of optimisim. The expanded warranty issue is huge. Plus the automatic trans issue in a medium is a no brainer for sure. Thjink of the young drivers today who don't know what a cliutch pedal is in a car-never mind a truck. Took a tour through the Mack plant in Macungie last week-might have been the luck of the draw but automatics prevailed on the trucks in progress that day. And these are trucks being built for "professional" drivers. Never mind the class 6 guys.

based on certain Transit glass house/cab components

I don't think there's much economy in that. Transit is stamped at an integral facility in KCAP, and really isn't set up to ship to OHAP, not to mention that the rest of the cab will be different enough to justify clean sheeting it specifically for that use.

I don't think there's much economy in that. Transit is stamped at an integral facility in KCAP, and really isn't set up to ship to OHAP, not to mention that the rest of the cab will be different enough to justify clean sheeting it specifically for that use.

I think if ford can ship stamping from michigan o KC for the F150 they surely can ship stamping to Ohio.

I think if ford can ship stamping from michigan o KC for the F150 they surely can ship stamping to Ohio.

They could ship stampings from KCAP, but nothing Ford currently ships is even close to the size of the body sides of the Transit. That was the main factor in KCAP getting it's own press.

They could ship stampings from KCAP, but nothing Ford currently ships is even close to the size of the body sides of the Transit. That was the main factor in KCAP getting it's own press.

I would think the stampings for cab versions of the transit would be much smaller than the Stampings for the Van, wouldn't they?

I would think the stampings for cab versions of the transit would be much smaller than the Stampings for the Van, wouldn't they?

Could be. As long as they aren't shipping body sides, a business case could be made to use one stamping and sub assembly.