Power to Weight...Ford's All Over It

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/07/2015-mustang-ecoboost-350/

"...Everyone is talking horsepower this week now that we’ve found out exactly how much horsepower the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat makes. But there is another muscle car debuting later this year that we don’t have horsepower numbers for, and that’s the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost. According to an anonymous source close to the project, that number is 350 hp.

Currently, Ford claims that the EcoBoost will make 305+ horsepower, but they haven’t detailed an official number. Our source told us that we should see a number around 350 hp. He went on to say that the official number revealed might be lower than 350, but the engine will be underrated from the factory. That’s consistent with previous forced-induction Fords that make more than their stated horsepower..."

Chinese whispers.

I'm betting 2.3 EB Mustang's power comes in at just under 320 HP

Reason being that and the torque at around 310 lb ft almost aligns

with what the past 4.6 3V engines used to make in standard form.

Edited by jpd80

I'd be all for a Fusion ST, but I was told I was being impatient and a few other unsavory things when there was no mention of it when the current Fusion debuted.

On this very board, in fact.

I wonder if they'd have felt that way, knowing the same would be true two years later?

Yes, there may be a Fusion ST offered in the future but calling for one two years ago when nothing was planned

really speaks of our lack of understanding with Ford's vision of growth in Fusion sales. Fusion now sells between

27,000 and 33,000 a month with no ST version in sight...

And for the record, last month's sales of Fusion hybrids at just over 3,000 and energi at 1,939. sales

would seem to offer far more growth potential.

Edited by jpd80

I'd be all for a Fusion ST, but I was told I was being impatient and a few other unsavory things when there was no mention of it when the current Fusion debuted.

On this very board, in fact.

I wonder if they'd have felt that way, knowing the same would be true two years later?

No, because the fact remains that while it would be an enthusiast's dream it's simply still not a business priority.

Don't forget that the most likely engines for a fusion st - the 2.3 or 2.7 EB are just now making their debut. If they do one I'd expect to see it next year.

No, because the fact remains that while it would be an enthusiast's dream it's simply still not a business priority.

Don't forget that the most likely engines for a fusion st - the 2.3 or 2.7 EB are just now making their debut. If they do one I'd expect to see it next year.

The correct answer isn't "business priority". That kind of thinking creates Camrys and Corollas.

There had just been a Fusion Sport, so hoping for a sport model of the new variant was hardly pie-in-the-sky territory.

I'm very, very happy that Ford is selling as many Fusions as they are, and hope that it finally breaks the Camry's stranglehold on "top selling car in the US". However, still looking 30 or more hp upward at the top engines of its competitors is not something to be proud of.

I'm hoping that the MCE comes with some improvements in available drivetrain performance, and yes...the ST, Sport, or whatever the eventual "touring" model is.

How are they supposed to put out a performance Fusion when the engine isn't ready yet?

Given modern lockdowns on industrial information, how is the consumer to know what's ready or otherwise?

What the consumer does have available, however, are comparisons in publications and on sites everywhere that can point out both strengths and shortcomings, information which can narrow desired test drives toward purchases.

Given modern lockdowns on industrial information, how is the consumer to know what's ready or otherwise?

The fact that the engine production lines weren't even built?

A V6 Fusion would have completely undermined everything Ford was doing with the 2.0EB.

The way CAFE counts fuel economy is not linear, the thirstier V6 would have wiped out a lot

of the gains achieved with the smaller Ecoboost I-4s. So in essence, adding 3,000/mth V6

would more than likely wipe out the gains achieved by 6,000 or more efficient versions

What the consumer does have available, however, are comparisons in publications and on sites everywhere that can point out both strengths and shortcomings, information which can narrow desired test drives toward purchases.

The lack of an ST version doesn't seem to have hurt Fusion sales but now that production is stable,

maybe it's time to start fleshing out the range a bit more with valuable niche cars. I'm not opposed

to the idea of an ST version, just the timing and efficiency needed to make it happen...

Edited by jpd80

It doesn't matter what effect it might have on sales - if the drive trains aren't ready they aren't ready. The 2.0eb is competitive with the Camry and accord v6. A 2.3EB ST would blow them away.

It doesn't matter what effect it might have on sales - if the drive trains aren't ready they aren't ready. The 2.0eb is competitive with the Camry and accord v6. A 2.3EB ST would blow them away.

But then you'd still get some people complaining because Ford didn't use either of the Ecoboost V6s..

The 2.3 EB would be a fine engine for Fusion ST, more powerful than the Crown Victoria's 4.6 V8.

It's nothing like unreasonable wanting "your brand's" product to have competitive engine options with the competition, and there are many with 20-40 more hp available. Not everyone cares about (overhyped and overrated) hybrids.

This isn't black and white. I don't have to hate a base or Ecoboost Fusion to wish there was a sport model available. The blather about "the engine/line wasn't ready" wasn't what was said back then, it was pretty unanimously "you know they'll have an ST out soon" by the people always arguing with the performance fans on this board. It's been over two years, and nothing is even making ripples in the rumor pages...but many reports of disappointment with the mpg of Ecoboost and hybrid models have been coming in the whole time.

I'll always be please when Ford succeeds, and I'm very pleased to see Fusions nearly averaging 30k units per month. I'm just hoping there's a gearhead version to go with the other STs and GTs in the showroom.

There is a HUGE difference between saying what you would like to see versus saying what Ford should do or should have done.

For some reason that distinction is lost on you.

Actually, what's lost on you is that you've made many comments on this board that guarantee that I cannot take you seriously, or any of your "counsel", or your attempts to "explain business" to me.

Or, y'know, the ability to glean driving impression from concept images.

You are front and center among the people that can't grasp that it's not black and white...or, that you have no business lecturing Ford's business cases or "facts" that are among Ford's highest ranking officers...unless you can prove that you are one.

I put it to you that Ford clearly chose to invest funds into something else over doing a Fusion ST and therefore,

it is a black and white proposition where opportunity costs most likely determined that the return on investment

was better in another project.

Edited by jpd80

I put it to you that Ford clearly chose to invest funds into something else over doing a Fusion ST and therefore,

it is a black and white proposition where opportunity costs most likely determined that the return on investment

was better in another project.

Meaningless, unless you can prove exactly which funds were moved. It's an unbackable argument, unless you're among Ford's bean counters and want to introduce company financial documents into an online automotive argument.

Meaningless, unless you can prove exactly which funds were moved. It's an unbackable argument, unless you're among Ford's bean counters and want to introduce company financial documents into an online automotive argument.

You've got hat wrong way around.

Which existing products is going to miss out on funds to make room for that Fusion ST?

The absence of a Fusion ST proves that Ford saw no viable business case over existing projects.

End of story.

The burden of proof is on you to show that your Fusion ST business case holds up

because Ford hasn't seen fit to fund development of that vehicle....

You don't have to be a member of Ford's inner circle to conclude that if a certain vehicle is not built

then the business case didn't hold up... otherwise Ford would have built the damned thing.

Use your brains....

Edited by jpd80

I know how billion dollar business decisions are made. I've seen, created and analyzed them several times over the last 10 years. I know how corporate projects get funded (or not).

How many billion dollar corporate business cases have you done?

Ford has the Fiesta ST, Focus ST and Taurus SHO. They clearly have both the desire and resources to create a Fusion ST. We also know there was no engine available between the 2.0L EB and 3.5L EB until the last few months.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can put those two facts together and see that if they're going to do a Fusion ST it would have been waiting for either the 2.3L or 2.7L EB engine. They're here now so we'll either see one in the next 12-18 months or we'll know that Ford decided to spend those resources elsewhere.

It's that simple.

And BTW - saying that Ford should have used the 3.7L V6 in the Fusion just so you can brag that it has more power than Accord or Camry is so juvenile....

Edited by akirby