D3 platform and Edge/MKZ in recall for right hand side halfshaft failures

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ford-recalling-100566-vehicles-safety-issues-24467975

The largest recall, of 92,022 vehicles, affects the 2013 and 2014 Taurus, Lincoln MKS, and Police Interceptor sedans, the Flex and Lincoln MKT crossovers, the 2012-2014 Edge and 2014 Lincoln MKX. Ford says the right-hand halfshaft, which is part of the axle, may disengage over time, making the vehicles inoperable.

Ford is recalling 5,264 2011-2014 F59 commercial stripped chassis because corrosion could lead to a fire risk. It's also recalling 2,124 Escape SUVs from the 2014 model year because their panoramic glass roofs might leak or fall out.

"because their panoramic glass roofs might leak or fall out."...oh I'm wondering how many people experienced that...just FALL out...I can just imagine the person la-dee-da driving down the road and like a wet tampon "oops it fell out"...

Might have been a bad batch of glue or something.

Could have been. But do they take a sample of each batch and test it before using it? Shouldn't that be part of the quality procedure, no?

Edited by coupe3w

Could have been. But do they take a sample of each batch and test it before using it? Shouldn't that be part of the quality procedure, no?

That's really difficult to do with today's JIT manufacturing. The glue that showed up this morning is probably being used this afternoon (or close to it). Same goes for many parts. Suppliers should be holding up their end of the deal and you should not have to test everything before you use it. If there is testing to be done on each batch of glue, it should be done by the supplier.

How do you think they found the problem after only a couple thousand were built that way? That's only a few days worth of production.

That's really difficult to do with today's JIT manufacturing. The glue that showed up this morning is probably being used this afternoon (or close to it). Same goes for many parts. Suppliers should be holding up their end of the deal and you should not have to test everything before you use it. If there is testing to be done on each batch of glue, it should be done by the supplier.

That's what I meant (at the supplier) they should check every batch BEFORE shipping.

That's what I meant (at the supplier) they should check every batch BEFORE shipping.

Well of course they should. Stuff happens. You identify the root cause and fix it and move on. Maybe the robot was out of calibration and it wasn't a supplier issue. Stuff happens. All you can do is hope to catch it really quickly if it does happen.

"because their panoramic glass roofs might leak or fall out." Really Ford? How does this even happen? I thought they use robots for glass sealing and installation.

Robots are used to set windshields. They put urathane on then press the glass into position. Over the years, I have found a lot of sealer skips in urathane causing water leaks. 97-03 f150 were awful for leaking front (and rear, which are not from urathane skips) windshields. It's not as common now but happens from time to time.

If you have ever seen how fast things move in a factory it's understandable how things get missed. Over all, Ford has gotten better from what I see.