'15 F450 Best in Class Towing

No matter how they came by the numbers, if the official GVWR is under 14k then it's a class 3.

Admittedly, the naming scheme is a bit odd ...especially for what is essentially a one off truck. (Only available in one configuration). Especially when they have to take two paragraphs to explain how it's closer to being an F-350 then an F-450 chassis cab.

Ram's 30k truck is only available in one configuration too: 4x2 RC. The only reason Ford has to keep explaining themselves is because of these blockheads at Ram won't back down.

But that Ram is part of the 3500 family...not a nonexistent non-chassis cab 4500 family for one truck.

Not saying it matters or is right or wrong. Just weird.

Edited by Intrepidatious

But that Ram is part of the 3500 family...not a nonexistent non-chassis cab 4500 family for one truck.

Not saying it matters or is right or wrong. Just weird.

?

What kind of car do you drive?

It's a "Town & Country Touring"

Could you please explain how this vehicle of yours is a 'touring' model?

Of course not, because it's a name. It's not a legally defined description. My car is a Sable. It is neither Sable colored nor is it made of Sables.

Apply similar logic to Ford's use of '450'--There is no industry standard for pickup names. There is barely a convention--a sort of approximate gentleman's agreement. And that agreement is basically taken from Ford nomenclature (remember when Dodge used to copy Ford numbers instead of GM?)

And what would you have Ford call the F-450 pickup? It does NOT have an F-350 frame. They should perhaps call it an "F-400"? An "F-350HD"? Should they call the F-450 chassis cab an F-550?

What of the F350s that are only class 2 rated (10,000lb GVWR)? Should they be called F250s instead?

Edited by RichardJensen

Of course, even that confuses things, because the F-450 doesn't use the exact same frame as the F-350.

It's a lot closer to an F350 than an F450 chassis cab.

And to the casual observer, that person probably wouldn't notice the difference between the F350 and F450 pickup frames if they were side by side.

And what would you have Ford call the F-450 pickup? It does NOT have an F-350 frame. They should perhaps call it an "F-400"? An "F-350HD"? Should they call the F-450 chassis cab an F-550?

What of the F350s that are only class 2 rated (10,000lb GVWR)? Should they be called F250s instead?

I understand where you are coming from. It's just my opinion.

My thought process: A beefed up F-350 (an F-350 frame with more metal as you said) sounds an awful lot like an F-350 or F-350HD more then an F-450 to me. (which all other models are chassis cabs with completely different frame and outfitter configurations). I'm not talking about industry conventions, I'm talking about what makes sense for selling the vehicle without confusing your customer.

Again, as I mentioned above, I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I don't care if they call it Princess Buttercup's Ultra-Wondo Trainmobile with extra Transfat. I myself (and apparently others) think the naming convention is a bit weird. But I'm not the intended buyer either. If Ford is fine with explaining the differences (they obviously don't see an issue with it), then great for them!

all this is a mess from both parties. Does claiming the most towing really effect sales that much?

had to edit because I didn't know how to use effect vs. affect. Yahoo search is my friend now :confused:

Always use effect as a noun and affect as a verb.

Except when you are supposed to use them differently.

I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

Marketing effects sales.

What you claim your vehicle is best at effects affects what you can market.

It also sounds better then having the most cupholders.

FTFY.

At least, that is my understanding. When using the verb form, use affects unless the noun follows directly after.

See what I mean...nobody knows for sure.

Grammar Rules for Affect and Effect

Now that we have the two definitions, how do we know which word to use? Here are a few suggestions to keep in mind:

1. If you are talking about a result, then use the word "effect."

• Example: What effect did the loss have on the team?

2. It is appropriate to use the word "effect" if one of these words is used immediately before the word: into, on, take, the, any, an, or and.

• Example: The prescribed medication had an effect on the patient's symptoms.
  • Example: In analyzing a situation, it is important to take the concepts of cause and effect into consideration.

3. If you want to describe something that was caused or brought about, the right word to use is effect.

• Example: The new manager effected some positive changes in the office. (This means that the new manager caused some positive changes to take place in the office.)

4. Affect can be used as a noun to describe facial expression.

• Example: The young man with schizophrenia had a flat affect.
  • Example: The woman took the news of her husband's sudden death with little affect.

5. Affect can also be used as a verb. Use it when trying to describe influencing someone or something rather than causing it.

• Example: How does the crime rate affect hiring levels by local police forces?
  • Example: The weather conditions will affect the number of people who come to the county fair this year.

My thought process: A beefed up F-350 (an F-350 frame with more metal as you said) sounds an awful lot like an F-350 or F-350HD more then an F-450 to me. (which all other models are chassis cabs with completely different frame and outfitter configurations). I'm not talking about industry conventions, I'm talking about what makes sense for selling the vehicle without confusing your customer.

The F-350 is an F-250 with a beefed up frame. So, should the F-350 be called an F-250HD, and transitively, the F-450 the F-250 HD HD?

Further, the only confusion is that which has been introduced by Fiat, who has apparently decided to conflate the first number of a truck's model designation with its DOT class, despite an abundance of F-350s and Dodge 3500s that carry Class 2 ratings.

Fiat invented this '3500 class' designation in order to claim a paper victory in towing over the F-450, and then when Ford pointed out that the F-450 was in fact a Class 3 truck, Fiat doubled down on their silliness rather than quietly backing away from it.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

The F-350 is an F-250 with a beefed up frame. So, should the F-350 be called an F-250HD, and transitively, the F-450 the F-250 HD HD?

No. As I've already explained above, it SHOULD have been called Princess Buttercup's Ultra-Wondo Trainmobile with extra Transfat.

But you've given me an idea that I think the guys down in marketing will love:

Princess Buttercup's Ultra-Wondo Trainmobile with extra Transfat 250HD HD

....Limited.

Edited by Intrepidatious

No. As I've already explained above, it SHOULD have been called Princess Buttercup's Ultra-Wondo Trainmobile with extra Transfat.

But you've given me an idea that I think the guys down in marketing will love:

Princess Buttercup's Ultra-Wondo Trainmobile with extra Transfat 250HD HD

....Limited.

And for the aluminum version: Light.

• Like 1

Grammar Rules for Affect and Effect

Now that we have the two definitions, how do we know which word to use? Here are a few suggestions to keep in mind:

1. If you are talking about a result, then use the word "effect."

• Example: What effect did the loss have on the team?

2. It is appropriate to use the word "effect" if one of these words is used immediately before the word: into, on, take, the, any, an, or and.

• Example: The prescribed medication had an effect on the patient's symptoms.
  • Example: In analyzing a situation, it is important to take the concepts of cause and effect into consideration.

3. If you want to describe something that was caused or brought about, the right word to use is effect.

• Example: The new manager effected some positive changes in the office. (This means that the new manager caused some positive changes to take place in the office.)

4. Affect can be used as a noun to describe facial expression.

• Example: The young man with schizophrenia had a flat affect.
  • Example: The woman took the news of her husband's sudden death with little affect.

5. Affect can also be used as a verb. Use it when trying to describe influencing someone or something rather than causing it.

• Example: How does the crime rate affect hiring levels by local police forces?
  • Example: The weather conditions will affect the number of people who come to the county fair this year.

This should be pinned at the top of every forum on the internet as well as similar ones for who's/whose, your/you're, seen/saw, and its/it's...What else am I forgetting to add to this list?

That being said, I just want to thank ALL OF YOU on this forum for at least generally caring enough to try. Seriously. This place is grammatically so much "easier" than other spots. Go other places and really pay attention.... :banghead::drop:

This should be pinned at the top of every forum on the internet as well as similar ones for who's/whose, your/you're, seen/saw, and its/it's...What else am I forgetting to add to this list?

That being said, I just want to thank ALL OF YOU on this forum for at least generally caring enough to try. Seriously. This place is grammatically so much "easier" than other spots. Go other places and really pay attention.... :banghead::drop:

My biggest peeves aren't grammar, they're using the WRONG word - like break instead of brake.

• Like 1

Their There you go again, complaining about there their grammar. Two bad some people don't give too two $hits about they're their use of the English language.

It took me a second to realize that you did all that on purpose.. silly me.

PS - I would have deleted this if I could have after I realized what you did there lol.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1