2015 Mustang Reviews?

But what about testing area (altitude), track condition, etc, etc....IMO its not worth getting your panties into a bunch over .02 a second difference, because of all the different variables that come into effect. Unless someone brings a 2014 GT off the lot and compares it with the 2015 given to the press at the same track with the same driver(s), you'll never get a straight fair answer.

Actually, one way that is answered, for me anyway, is the "Lightning Lap" Car and Driver has done for a few years, now. They micro-analyze the various straight and corner entry/exit speeds along with the overall times...and it allows one to get a look at how the cars stack up in their own price tiers, plus others above and below.

The outgoing GT500, despite being something of a (joyous) brute, made good showing for itself vs. plenty of much pricier competition. The new Mustang wasn't in this year's test (the only Fords were our hot-hatch ST models), but I'm looking very forward to next year's test...which may have the GT-350 involved as well.

As to the interior materials, as referenced by the Europeans...I don't expect most of their testers to "get it". Pony cars, even today's versions, are generally the products of borrowed platforms and bits from other models in the inventory. They're historically forced to over-achieve just to have relevance, and a certain degree of "rawness" is not only allowable, but expected and even celebrated by people that understand the segment at all.

The boon/curse of the modern Mustang is that it's been getting billed as a "poor man's M3/M4" since the '96 Cobra brought its DOHC mod motor to the party. The Mustang has since been tested against the BMW repeatedly, with the inevitable caveats regarding price differences and performance vs. refinement.

While the Mustang's lack of cornering prowess has been shamelessly exaggerated by Top Gear and others over the years, our favorite pony car is now headed for an area that has had some of the most amazingly flickable cars in history. For everything it does well, it'll be criticized for not having the road manners of a Cayman or a 4C, the feel of an M4, etc etc etc.

I'm curious to see if Europe gets it or not, but I am actually fairly optimistic.

Reading the C&D review.

Clicked on a link.

Are you serious? BMW pipes synthesized car noises into the cabin through the speakers? And Porsche mics the engine? That is so-----cheesy.

In case you are not aware: http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-fakes-its-engine-noise-1638853878

Although this isn't "new news", not sure why all of the auto sites are just now reporting it as such.

The people that matter are laughing (as RJ pointed out), at the ridiculous opinions of these UK reviews.

For a car that on Facebook almost eight million fans has - but of which less than half live in the United States. How strong is the Mustang brand, can also be seen on the grille. The Mustang is the only Ford model without blue brand logo - the galloping horse says it all.

In Germany 2.3L Ecoboost 34,000 € according to Spiegel cost.

An Audi A5 2.0 TFSI with 225 hp will cost € 40,500.

A BMW 428i with 245 hp will cost € 41,000.

A Mercedes C-Class 250 Coupe with 204 hp will cost € 42,000.

Mustang 5.0 with 418 hp will probably cost € 39,000 :)

Expected premium A5 interior

2011-Audi-A5-Coupe-035.jpg

vs expected cheap plastic Mustang

2015-ford-mustang-gt-interior-driver.jpg

I do not think the Mustang has anything to worry about.

On the A5 anything south of the ignition slot is pretty low rent stuff. The steering wheel is very tupperware stuff, and that gear shift would be fitting in a Toyota Yaris.

The only improvement I would have made on the Msutang would be to cover the centre console in leather or make it soft touch and remove the cup holders. Do you think they would have been better fitting an electonic hand/parking brake, free up some more room?

Autocar UK:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/mustang/first-drives/2014-ford-mustang-first-drive-review

Edited by geronimo183

The only improvement I would have made on the Msutang would be to cover the centre console in leather or make it soft touch and remove the cup holders. Do you think they would have been better fitting an electonic hand/parking brake, free up some more room?

Oh no where am I going to stick my coffee or 32oz soda!?!!??! Cup holders are a big deal in the States, that's why Mini gets so terrible ratings in the initial quality ratings. I'm not a fan of Soda, but hey I want some place to stick my coffee!

As for the electric hand brake...I don't think it fits the character of the car....plus I think a foot operated parking break could get in the way of using a clutch too.

This is pretty impressive:

Ford insiders say they set out to build not just the best Mustang ever but a car whose abilities would surprise people. When you drive the latest fastback coupé, there are times you could believe you're in a Jaguar F-Type, roughly double the price. But for this new Mustang truly to be a good all-rounder, the low-speed ride issue absolutely has to be fixed.

Considering the F-Type is nearly 3-4 times the price of the Mustang....

Though I wonder what they mean about the low speed ride of the car?

Oh no where am I going to stick my coffee or 32oz soda!?!!??! Cup holders are a big deal in the States, that's why Mini gets so terrible ratings in the initial quality ratings. I'm not a fan of Soda, but hey I want some place to stick my coffee!

Screw Europe--I want a place to put my coffee, too. One of the few complaints I have about my F-150 is that it only has one set of cup holders, and it's on the floor (well, OK, technically it's on the transmission hump, and there's the "cup holder" door pocket, but still...).

As for the electric hand brake...I don't think it fits the character of the car....plus I think a foot operated parking break could get in the way of using a clutch too.

Agreed--the electronic parking brake was fine on my Lincoln, but a Pony car needs the modulatible (if that's not a word, it should be) auxiliary braking provided by a handbrake, IMHO. What it doesn't need are the added weight and complexity of the electric mechanism.

The boon/curse of the modern Mustang is that it's been getting billed as a "poor man's M3/M4" since the '96 Cobra brought its DOHC mod motor to the party. The Mustang has since been tested against the BMW repeatedly, with the inevitable caveats regarding price differences and performance vs. refinement.

While the Mustang's lack of cornering prowess has been shamelessly exaggerated by Top Gear and others over the years, our favorite pony car is now headed for an area that has had some of the most amazingly flickable cars in history. For everything it does well, it'll be criticized for not having the road manners of a Cayman or a 4C, the feel of an M4, etc etc etc.

Unfortunately, the poor handling reputation was earned after 25 years of Fox and SN95 Mustangs running with a horrible 4 link rear suspension. Ford could have fixed this with SN95 by adding a panhard bar or watts link (even the Crown Vic got a watts link!) but chose to carry over the "Fairmont" design. While better, the rear suspension installed in the S197 meerly brought Mustang up to 1982 Camero/Firebrid standards.