The Fusion Still Needs a Better Optional Engine.

True story. And I fully suspect that the MPG camp FAR outweighs people like my father... By a LANDSLIDE.

but.. toyota and honda gives both worlds, why can't Ford fans get that?? Their two v6's are more potent and get better mileage. That's all I'm asking for. It was the wife's decision on the Fusion. I wasn't going to choose it.

• Like 1

but.. toyota and honda gives both worlds, why can't Ford fans get that?? Their two v6's are more potent and get better mileage. That's all I'm asking for. It was the wife's decision on the Fusion. I wasn't going to choose it.

Like akirby said, it may just be time for Ford to start doing this. Had to get all of their ducks in a row first. I agree with you, it would've been great to be able to get a bigger Eco or better yet, the 3.7, especially since a lot of the work was already done to put the 3.7 in the MKZ, but....priorities.

Edited by OHV 16V

possibly, but the take rate on Hondas 6 and toyotas 6 is minute compared with their 4 cyl models as well...almost seems like a no win....

Stop and think how many resources and how much cash it took Ford to consolidate Transit, Focus, Fusion and Escape on global platforms and how many brand new engines Ford has built within the last 5 years. 1.5L, 1.6L, 2.0L(2 versions), 2.3L, 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboosts plus a new 5.0L V8. How much has Honda or Toyota changed in that same timeframe?

Ford probably spent more on Fusion in one year than Toyota has spent on the Camry in a decade. That cash and resources are now available to do the things they couldn't afford to do before.

It also comes down to CAFE points, maybe Ford couldn't spare any MPG in MY2013-MY2015 with the new F-150 they probably have a few extra points per se, and can afford a small redution in overall fusion numbers, or that hybrids are making a few % more of sales and can offset it. To the average driver .1mpg is nothing, for CAFE it is HUGE.

Keep dreaming, unless CAFE gets rolled back to 27 mpg. But, again, dream on. It's like the Panther Mafia, wanting all RWD/BOF cars from Ford.

I expect Toyota and Honda will drop their V6 middies. Then will act as if they were the first to do so, going on and on about how 'green' they are.