The Fusion Still Needs a Better Optional Engine.

I'll just get the usual comments out of the way for those involved:

"Nobody cares about midsize sedan performance""...yet, the top competitors, often outselling the Fusion, keep offering V6s. As they're moving more metal, it should be a consideration.

"Just because you want it doesn't mean it should happen"...I didn't write this article, and it's one of MANY that point out how the Ecoboost promise promises tend to fall a bit short. In this case, it doesn't perform like a V6 or get mileage like a 4-banger. Neither aspect is impressive.

"You know there'll be an ST version"...yeah, that was said years ago, before this generation was even in production.

"Car and Driver hates Fords"...yet, keeps putting them on the 10-Best List, has basically been fawning over the Fiesta ST since it came out, loved the Boss 302, and is genuinely impressed with most aspects of the Fustion...except its powertrain.

Those bases covered... http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-fusion-titanium-20l-ecoboost-awd-test-review

"More disappointingly, the turbo four is just as thirsty as a V-6. We averaged 20 mpg, below even the Fusion’s EPA city rating of 22 and nowhere near the 31-mpg highway rating. For those who’ve been paying attention to Ford’s EcoBoost strategy, this comes as no surprise."

I'm very happy this generation of Fusion is doing as well as it is. I just hope Ford builds one for the "rest of us" soon.

"More disappointingly, the turbo four is just as thirsty as a V-6. We averaged 20 mpg, below even the Fusion’s EPA city rating of 22 and nowhere near the 31-mpg highway rating. For those who’ve been paying attention to Ford’s EcoBoost strategy, this comes as no surprise."

No shit Sherlock! When you drive it like you stole it, fuel economy is going to suck. If you are going to use all 240 ponies, you have to feed them all. You can use 240 ponies and only feed 2/3 of them!

I do think it needs more oomph, most other competitors have more HP, but if your just going to give me 240HP, at least it should give you stellar fuel economy, but it's not doing that either. Maybe add a few more cogs would help? Also have competitors with V6 which are getting better economy and more HP as well. Or maybe cut some of the weight.

But Yes I get it, its easy to just throw our hands up and say "Well they are selling well", and just give up trying to improve a good product and watch the competition leapfrog the product, oh wait, that already happened many years ago...Damn history...

• Like 1

I don't see Ford throwing up their hands and quitting. The EB20 performance is parallel with the last generation D30 in the last Fusion and Escape. It is not the same as the D35 and I was hoping for that. Nonetheless, Ecoboost second generation is coming around with EB10, 15 and 23. I think the 2.0L will be updated in the upcoming Edge. The higher ATP's will definitely help out in new products. I would like to see the current EB20 updated in Fusion and Escape. The 2.3L or 2.7L in a ST I think would be awesome!

just give up trying to improve a good product and watch the competition leapfrog the product

The Fusion has the highest ATP in the segment, and does not have a V6.

Pretty sure that the competition has not leapfrogged the Fusion with their V6es.

I might also add that you can get behind in a hurry by spending money on stuff people don't care about, instead of the stuff they do.

I don't see Ford throwing up their hands and quitting. The EB20 performance is parallel with the last generation D30 in the last Fusion and Escape. It is not the same as the D35 and I was hoping for that. Nonetheless, Ecoboost second generation is coming around with EB10, 15 and 23. I think the 2.0L will be updated in the upcoming Edge. The higher ATP's will definitely help out in new products. I would like to see the current EB20 updated in Fusion and Escape. The 2.3L or 2.7L in a ST I think would be awesome!

I'm hoping that powertrain improvements are coming soon, and maybe something to bring its chassis manners up to the levels of the Accord and the 6, which remain the benchmarks in terms of "driver's cars" in the segment.

I'll never apologize for wanting Ford to make the best-in-class...in more categories than sales.

• Like 1

Ford will be forced to address fuel economy (i.e. improvement) as the end of the decade nears, the coming regs will require it. As history has shown, it would not be unreasonable to expect that as the FE effort unfolds, some "by the way" performance improvements will occur as well. One possible example could be when Ford unveils a new tranny with more gears for the FWD cars.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/comparison-test1.html

Here's a statistic that might blow your mind. Honda sold more than a quarter-million Accord sedans in the U.S. last year. While that might not be news to you, what you might not know is that nine out of 10 of those Accords were sold with a four-cylinder engine, not a V6

The issue is that the midsize car market is pretty boring because the vast majority of buyers think its an IJAC (its just another car) and there really isn't demand for a 400HP midsize sedan to commute to work with or pick the kids up from school in (which would most likely done by a minivan or CUV)

If people want performance, they rather upgrade into a luxury car or get a fun car like a Mustang or Camaro or the like.

Let's get something straight once and for all. I'm tired of people comparing the 2.0LEB to the 3.0L duratec and not the 3.5L because you're only looking at hp not torque.

3.0 L 240 hp (179 kW), 223 lb·ft (302 N·m). torque

3.5 L 263 hp (196 kW), 249 lb·ft (338 N·m). torque

2.0 L EB - 240 hp (179 kW; 243 PS) and 270 lb·ft (370 N·m). of torque

It has way more torque than even the 3.5L. The problem with the 2.0L is the first gen runs too rich hurting fuel economy under acceleration and the single turbo spools up fast but runs out of boost at higher rpm.

That said it's obvious Ford needs a 2.3L EB or 2.7L EB Fusion ST at some point. But those engines just became available this year and I'm sure they're not fully ramped up yet. I don't think they're running full capacity for Fusion production at FR yet but they are close and as Richard points out they're selling just fine without it. So once again it's a matter of priority and parts availability.

I would expect to see the 2.3L and/or 2.7L EB in the MCA as builtfordtough posted.

• Like 1

Audi A4 AWD 2.0 Turbo has 220 HP/258 Ft Lb and they are not jealous of the Asian competition. They are considered a performance benchmark!

Same Audi A4 with AWD - 17-21 MPG city, 22-26 highway- reported on various open forums that you can Google.

Ford Fusion is not coming up short in real numbers, only in perception.

I am with RJ on this one - If someone is going to buy a Toyota/NIssan/Honda/Hyundai with a V6 because they advertise more HP, then let them go haggle for the Hyundai. Like the Audi A4 - the person who really wants a Fusion will pay for a Fusion.

Edited by Kev-Mo

That said, Ford's F-AWD systems have been huge gas wasters for years now. Any plans to come up with a more efficient system?

Huh??

The difference between an FWD and AWD Fusion 2L is 1 MPG Combined and 2 MPG on the highway. About a 7% difference highway.

Taurus has more of a difference, but its also an older car.

Ford Fusion needs better engines (and transmissions), period. The standard 2.5L Mazda MZR based unit on S and SE models, while superior to the smaller Ecoboost engine that Ford has the audacity to charge nearly $800 for, falls short of similar engines from competitors in performance and fuel economy.

Does Ford still have technology sharing agreements with Mazda? Incorporating Mazda's SKYACTIV 2.5L engine and transmissions would be a nice upgrade for Ford Fusion. Then again, Fusion lacks the mass reduction techniques that Mazda successfully applied to chassis and body. So it likely won't perform as well as the current generation Mazda6 even with such powertrain upgrades.