The Fusion Still Needs a Better Optional Engine.

The Fusion has the highest ATP in the segment, and does not have a V6.

So Fusion not only has mediocre powertrains, but is also the most expensive vehicle in its segment? That's not an appealing combination for prospective midsize sedan customers.

So Fusion not only has mediocre powertrains, but is also the most expensive vehicle in its segment? That's not an appealing combination for prospective midsize sedan customers.

Wow, do you argue just for the sake of arguing? Or do you just not get it?

According to you, the Fusion should sell around 0 due to the complete mediocrity of its engine and its high price tag.

Perhaps...............

.........and I know this is a stretch for you.............................

But it's just possible...............................

It might be the case that................

You don't have your finger on the pulse of this segment.

What *you* want is not what *buyers* want.

---

Of course, Ford can't afford to be complacent.

But what Ford needs to do to maintain their competitive advantage may not necessarily be what you want them to do.

---

And, by the way, let's all take a moment and reflect on the fact that Ford now has a definite competitive advantage in this segment, and that this is the first time this has happened in *years*.

Edited by RichardJensen

I think a Fusion Wagon would generate more sales than a more powerful engine. If i remember correctly the mix for the 3.5 on the last fusion was ~7% while the wagon on the last Focus was ~15%.

I would like to see a Wet DCT mated to the EB2.3 as the power pack for the Fusion ST.

Any type of wagon for some reason does not particularly sell well in the North American market....why?? Maybe it is because SUVs and CUVs compete for the same customers and America is just plain in love with their SUVs/CUVs...

Its because they got stigmatized just like Minivans did. The last successful wagon IIRC was the Taurus Station wagon back in the mid to late 1980s. Once the Explorer took off in 1991, it killed the wagon market and the minivan market to an extent.

Edited by silvrsvt

There is nothing wrong with 2.0EB power wise or fuel consumption wise. The supposed problem with MPG can only be fixed with better transmission and reduced weight. Ford needs to get the 9 speed auto in the car sooner rather than later.

As for an optional engine above the 2.0 EB, I'm of the opinion that Ford has the market figured out much better than blueoval forum... the up-sale in this segment is hybrid and PHEV and Ford is leading the pack here. These models are the reason why Fusion has the highest ATP in the segment. Fusion hybrid is outselling Camry hybrid, and Fusion PHEV is outselling Accord PHEV. Enough said.

Its because they got stigmatized just like Minivans did.

I don't think wagons were ever stagmatized. I think 'Muricans just fell in love with SUVs in the early 90s which then spawned CUVs when people wanted a similar style but better ride quality and fuel economy. A lot of folks (my wife included) prefers the taller seating height of a utility and would not consider a wagon.

In Europe it's the opposite.

Dodge tried the Magnum. Why did it get cancelled? Because nobody bought them - they bought utilities instead.

Huh??

The difference between an FWD and AWD Fusion 2L is 1 MPG Combined and 2 MPG on the highway. About a 7% difference highway.

Taurus has more of a difference, but its also an older car.

Edge and Explorer suffer the same as the Taurus, but they also are older. I may have been thinking about those three vehicles and cast aspersions on Fusion (and Escape) because of that.

I don't think wagons were ever stagmatized. I think 'Muricans just fell in love with SUVs in the early 90s which then spawned CUVs when people wanted a similar style but better ride quality and fuel economy. A lot of folks (my wife included) prefers the taller seating height of a utility and would not consider a wagon.

In Europe it's the opposite.

Dodge tried the Magnum. Why did it get cancelled? Because nobody bought them - they bought utilities instead.

Wagons were stigmatized once the minivan came out.

Minivans were stigmatized once SUVs/CUVs became popular. Coincidentally, the wagon became the hipster mobile that everyone started begging for even though they didn't plan to buy one.

Heck, even Volvo barely sells wagons Stateside anymore. That's telling.

Edge and Explorer suffer the same as the Taurus, but they also are older. I may have been thinking about those three vehicles and cast aspersions on Fusion (and Escape) because of that.

In the grand scheme of things, how much money is it going to cost you extra a year? maybe $10 bucks a month?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it applies to wagons, trucks and vans.

I think the seating agrament is the key part...2 seats-Chicken tax...4 seats-no chicken tax...why the Subaru Brat had seats in the back of it and why Ford got nailed with the Transit Connect with the chicken tax.

I think the seating agrament is the key part...2 seats-Chicken tax...4 seats-no chicken tax...why the Subaru Brat had seats in the back of it and why Ford got nailed with the Transit Connect with the chicken tax.

Right. The Transit Connects being shipped over had windows and 2nd row seating, which made them "wagons", and subject only to some small duty (I think there's a 2.5% duty on cars--I *think*).

Ford took out the windows & seats, and converted them to "trucks"