2015 Ford F-150: Aluminum Body Repairs Part 1 (With Video)

@akirby....not sure who that was directed at, but I will go so far as to say if someone took a sledge hammer to a steel bodied f-150, which ISNT as strong or ding resistant as the Alum, the damage would have been more extensive AND would have reflected in a smaller cost gap than Edmunds would have you believe.

not to mention that tail light is still going to be more expensive that what you would think it should be.

PS, the ONLY places I know of that charge $120 an hour for bodywork cater to Maserati, Audi, Rolls and Ferrari etc etc ....they would charge the same if you took an F-150 in there for the "privilege" of being charged more. Also, by coming Aluminum ready, those $120hr customers can now come to us and save $60 an hour which THEIR insurance carriers will LOVE...in fact Ive already seen several BMW's and Audis out back, so ROI on the necessary equipment will be somewhat subsidized by makes OTHER than Ford....win win for us I would say.

I was just going to mention this. The aluminum training and equipment subsidies Ford dealers received from Ford may be a real boon for the dealers. Not only will they be set for aluminum Fords, those same assets can be used to get work for other brands. Even higher aluminum hourly rates may look very reasonable compared to other shops. Healthy, profitable dealers is good for Ford as a whole.

@ FUZZY....all parts are expensive now, but add LEDS and a BLIS system to anything and its going to be pricey...hell, go smash a mirror with signals and blind spot...same scenario....

I'm going back to when I had to replace one for my focus. Dealer wanted 150 for it. Found one on eBay for a third of that price. It was still a shock

@Richard, well don't forget the BIG picture, I would guess the personell are being paid $20-25 and hour, plus theres probably a markup on parts cost of 10% as well, as for survival...its easy, 3 bedroom house with 20 occupants...lol ( sadly thats been the case in some of these fires lately ) but I FULLY understand, dual income is pretty much a necessity.

@Richard, well don't forget the BIG picture, I would guess the personell are being paid $20-25 and hour, plus theres probably a markup on parts cost of 10% as well, as for survival...its easy, 3 bedroom house with 20 occupants...lol ( sadly thats been the case in some of these fires lately ) but I FULLY understand, dual income is pretty much a necessity.

yeah, $45k/year in Orange County sounds like it would land you a nice apartment that could be improved only by a Kevlar door and inch thick glass in the windows.

This is so dumb I don't care to comment.

You purchase a $50k vehicle with tech options then get pissy when a part is more the $25. Seems to me, if a tail lamp was $25 dollars, then why did the truck cost $50k?

Yes, this is a dumb story. Created to do what? Working at the Rouge this new F150 is tough and attractive. I think it scares the competition, a lot.