Ford Quality - 2015 Mustang GT with Bad Paint and Transmission at 244 miles!

15mustang

Full Details: Bad Transmission and Paint at 244 miles! Please help!

I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned from the factory (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, they confirmed the door hits the fender, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). Pictures in Youtube video below. The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership, and when I drove away in my Mustang (after the dealership had it for ~16 miles), I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right at all (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care (also worth noting, the dealership managed 12.6 MPG while in their care. I’ve been averaging 16MPG+ in normal driving around town).

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern so far.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What should I do?

Poor Paint Repair:

Update 2/4: Transmission now has Problems at 244 miles on odometer! While with the Ford dealership for warranty paint repair and door/fender alignment, the manual transmission shift quality became VERY poor in 4th gear. So at 244 miles on the odometer it's now got manual transmission and paint problems!!

Update 2/18: After talking to the dealership service manager, GM, and Ford I have still not been offered a brand new transmission for the car. Anyone with experience with rebuilds or rebuilt transmissions?

Update 3/9: Test drove a brand new 2015 Mustang GT Manual at Autonation Ford Jacksonville where I confirmed that a new Mustang GT manual does NOT exhibit the same shift problem.

Update 3/12: No resolution reached despite dozens of phone calls to Ford and dealerships. Still have serious transmission problems with 4th gear.

Update 3/14: For additional confirmation, took it to an independent transmission repair shop 3/14 with 996 miles on it where the mechanic confirmed a transmission problem exists.

Update 3/17: Having trouble getting Ford dealerships to acknowledge transmission problem in writing. They don't seem to want to be involved.

Update 3/19: Unable to get transmission fixed at all (neither rebuild or new) up to this point. Stuck. Not sure what to do next.

Update 3/20: Seems like more dealership run-around and denials etc...

Update 3/24: Another independent repair shop drives car 3/24 and mechanic said there def. is a problem with transmission. Believed to be bad syncros. *Though, a Ford dealership still has NOT given me anything in writing that lists a problem they could find with transmission.*

Update 4/3: Serious transmission and also lingering paint problems (but I still have five other gears, right). Time to get exact numbers on oil consumption.

Update 4/4: 2 months, still working on getting transmission/car fixed and resolved. I want to thank everyone who has supported me by responding to my thread and viewing my Youtube videos! The more responses and views I get, the more support I have. I have received a lot of great advice from all of you, my fellow car enthusiasts. Sharing my experience is about helping others avoid what has happened to me. Please wish me luck, your support is always much appreciated.

Update 4/13: I am deciding if I should bring my Mustang in to a Ford dealership again (or move to plan B). Two independent repair shops already confirmed the transmission problem, so one would think a Ford dealership will eventually fix it (or maybe they never will). I will post updates to help everyone. Thanks for all your responses and support guys!

Update 4/19: Still not fixed. Plan B. It's been a tough couple months for me and no one should have to go through it (dozens of phone calls, hundreds of miles, dozens of hours and counting).

Update 5/4: I am thankful for the support everyone has given me!, as I take further steps to get my transmission fixed. I will update the thread with more detailed information and hopefully a final resolution soon.

Update 5/20: Transmission still not fixed, but I will update everyone on the final outcome (things are in the works). Please message me if you want to help. I have sympathy for anyone who has ever been through something similar, I feel your pain.

**My terrible experience is now on websites and forums. I will try to include latest updates on my video appeal to Ford below**

Edited by 15mustang

Sounds like you've got a major issue..............

.....................with the dealer.

---

I would immediately take your Mustang to another dealer------preferably one that's been certified by Ford to work on the aluminum F150-------and let them work on the vehicle. Both items should be warranty repairs.

(why a Ford dealership certified to work on aluminum F150s? Because that's probably your best way of locating a competent body shop)

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 4

---

I would immediately take your Mustang to another dealer------preferably one that's been certified by Ford to work on the aluminum F150-------and let them work on the vehicle. Both items should be warranty repairs.

(why a Ford dealership certified to work on aluminum F150s? Because that's probably your best way of locating a competent body shop)

^This!

The dealer took the car to low quality repair shop. It sounds like along the way either the dealer or the body shop went joy riding.

Find a new dealer who can repair the body and paint damage and repair the transmission.

Best of luck with your 5.0.

• Like 2

^This!

The dealer took the car to low quality repair shop. It sounds like along the way either the dealer or the body shop went joy riding.

Find a new dealer who can repair the body and paint damage and repair the transmission.

Best of luck with your 5.0.

Thanks for the assistance!! :)

---

Thanks for the great idea with the certified aluminum F150 dealer! :)

Good luck getting another dealer to get involved in a warranty repair already done and paid to another dealer. You need to get Ford involved and have them send you and the car to another dealer.

Two thoughts:

- 1 - the original dealer hasn't dealt with the transmission issue, so that's not an existing warranty repair

- 2 - the warranty repair done under the oversight of the other dealer is an obviously defective repair

I don't think he should have an issue in this instance.

Except that Ford would not want to pay twice for the warranty repair. They would most likely want the original dealer to fix it right on their dime since Ford already paid them for it. And if Ford thinks the original dealer also damaged the transmission they would want them to fix that, too, and not have to pay another dealer for a warranty repair (IF they know or find out later).

They could refuse to pay the first dealer for the warranty work on the paint but I don't think that would hold up in court - the dealer would simply argue they should be allowed to fix it. Rock and a hard place.

• Like 1

Disagree on various fronts:

-- Ford may not have paid the first dealer, and even if they have, they have the means and the ability to recapture payments made for shoddy/defective work.

-- Ford would not "want" the original dealer to fix the transmission if they damaged it. It would be nearly impossible to *prove* that the first dealer damaged the transmission, which means Ford would have to pay for the repairs in any case, and in such an event, arguably, they would *not* want a dealer that damaged a part to receive payment for fixing it, as this could lead to dealers generating warranty work by damaging parts during routine service.

-- A dealer wouldn't sue Ford over a minor paint job that was clearly done poorly, and even if they were so inclined I'm almost 100% certain that Ford and its dealers are required to pursue arbitration before suing, and I can't imagine that any arbitrator would require that Ford allow a dealer that *does not have a body shop* the opportunity to repair defective body work.

I don't think so.

I've dealt with dealer principals. When it comes to some things--and warranty compensation is one of them--the manufacturers definitely have the whip hand.

If this were an instance where a dealership's body shop did shoddy repair, Ford would likely request that the customer return the vehicle to the dealer for repair, because it is far easier for Ford to force a dealer to do additional uncompensated work than it is for them to recover payment or to void a previously approved warranty repair.

But that's not the case here.

Here, you're dealing with a 3rd party body shop that----IMO---raises serious questions about Ford's warranty compensations and kickbacks. Questions that a Ford rep may also be curious to have answered.

Edited by RichardJensen

I'd thought that when a vehicle is repaired under warranty, there is a "pot" that the money comes from for that specific vehicle that is tied to the original selling dealer. If the work is performed by another dealer, the money comes from the original dealer's "pot".

And that "pot" is tied to original dealer holdback(s).

Not true?

(not sure I'm making sense here)

Edited by RangerM

I'd thought that when a vehicle is repaired under warranty, there is a "pot" that the money comes from for that specific vehicle that is tied to the original selling dealer. If the work is performed by another dealer, the money comes from the original dealer's "pot".

Not true?

I'm pretty sure that's not even close. Warranty is paid by Ford and not tied to the original dealer or the holdback at all.

Not true?

As Richard would say, that's not even wrong.

There is no relationship between the selling dealer and warranty repairs. That may have been true a long time ago when Ford required you to go back to the selling dealer unless you were out of town. But not recently.

The dealer submits warranty work to Ford for direct reimbursement.

Not true?

You might be thinking of the monthly debit/credit that Ford does with the dealer's bank account.

To the best of my recollection, Ford settles accounts with franchises on a monthly basis. This is accompanied by a rather complex sheet that notes out debits and credits. In this instance, Ford would probably credit the dealer's account the amount of the warranty repair.

If the repair work is subsequently judged insufficient and additional work is performed by another dealer, Ford can debit the original dealer's account by that amount and credit it to the other dealer.

Generally, it's easier for Ford to require the original dealer to make things right, but they can opt to have another dealer handle the repair and recapture the costs.

Yup, Ford did ask me to bring it back to the dealer that did the paint repair, for proper paint repair. Since the body shop the dealer used did additional damage to the paint and clearcoat when they had it (and then put what looks to be touch-up paint on it), it will never be as good as when I dropped it off at the dealer. My manual transmission that got damaged while the dealership had it for paint repair is a big concern to me. I thought the 2015 mustang transmissions had been further upgraded for reliability?

Yup, Ford did ask me to bring it back to the dealer that did the paint repair, for proper paint repair. Since the body shop the dealer used did additional damage to the paint and clearcoat when they had it (and then put what looks to be touch-up paint on it), it will never be as good as when I dropped it off at the dealer. My manual transmission that got damaged while the dealership had it for paint repair is a big concern to me. I thought the 2015 mustang transmissions had been further upgraded for reliability?

Part of me is deeply suspicious of this arrangement. A shoddy repair job by a third party paid for by Ford just screams "kickback" to me. Ford pays the dealer $300, the body shop charges $100 for a thoroughly rotten job, and guys at the dealership and body shop split the overage.