IIHS Midsize SUV Overlap Testing

I can personally attest from feedback from our body shop...the flex is built like a tank....more bogus IIHS tests which seem to rate vehicles great one year then questionable the next...what does that tell you....

I wouldn't say that it is a bogus test, it is just an adaptation of the tests as vehicles to perform better they can raise the bar. These tests have made vehicles safer as the death rate in vehicles continues to get lower and lower, that is a fact. So while you might not hit something exactly like this test it leads to a much safer vehicle.

It's impressive that this vehicle is rated as high as it is considering it has that rating back to 2009 when the IIHS told manufactures it would be developing this test. It has the same or better rating than Ford vehicles developed after 2009 when they new this test would be used. A Ford vehicle has yet to receive a "good" in this test as of yet, and no Ford vehicle is a top safety pick+ as they have no collision mitigation system in the North American Market. Also starting next year as of yet no Ford vehicle will be rated as a top safety pick as a vehicles must receive a good rating in this test to have that. I would assume that the 2016 Edge/MKX will be the first vehicles to meet these requirement.

Ford's internal research probably sees the same thing that is said on these boards in that it doesn't affect purchasing decisioning by their customers so they choose not to improve vehicles or offer the mitigation systems as it isn't important to their customers, where as Toyota sees it is affecting buyers decisions so they choose to do a structure upgrade and offer the systems.

Jason, my point is they change the parameters every year...ridiculous, its like they create their own eco system. There isn't a car on the road ( barring a SMART car ) built today I would drive in fear of my life, hell go back 10 years...by constantly changing the guidelines and tests as constantly as they do IIHS has made cars safer yes, but how much safer do they need to be than todays or last year?...by changing things up all they do is justify their existence along with increasing vehicles curbweights and costs....IMO cars would be safer today and there would be less fatalities if there was something as simple as TEXT blocking...and I BET that's on the way as well, structurally theres nothing wrong with the cars today, its the DRIVERS.

• Like 1

They should change every year and they should get harder, that drives better and safer cars. These changes are not just popped on manufactures they are told years in advance of the changes that are coming just as the way the feds do phase in periods for changes. Incremental changes are needed so not to raise cost, could IIHS have made the small overlap test in 1995 sure but technology wasn't there to build them at an affordable rate.

I don't think its just texting its just distracted driving in general, which is probably why vehicles that have Collision Alerts have a dramatically lower rate of accidents in early showings. In a perfect world sure a text ban would work, but what about passengers in the car, how would you allow them to use a device when the vehicle is in motion and just block the driver plus as soon as they would do it, people would hack it to remove that feature. It all comes back to driver responsibility which I agree, don't text and drive, just as you don't drink and drive, or don't drive without a valid license. There is a small subset of the population that is going to do it no matter what. It goes back to how this started, making sure that when you do end up in an accident you are protected and safe.

But we are reaching the point of diminishing returns where these new tests aren't making cars much safer but they're adding substantial cost. And the ever sliding scale where. 5 star excellent car a few years ago is poor today is disingenuous at best and it's done to make the IIHS seem more relevant just like all the new tests with only slight variations.

• Like 3

I can personally attest from feedback from our body shop...the flex is built like a tank....more bogus IIHS tests which seem to rate vehicles great one year then questionable the next...what does that tell you....

I agree. Although this platform is old and could use some modifications for this test, the flex,explorer,mks,Taurus all have serious sub structures. The front frame rails are massive. However, this test runs down the side of it. I looked at new F150 and I believe frame ford added two large metal braces for this test. It has a large bar that extends from the frame in front and behind the wheel. I expect it to do well in this test.

bottom line Jason, after swerving to avoid a texter this morning doing 35 in a 50mph zone AND weaving, nix texting in a car full stop. Bet it would bring families closer as well. People today just CANT SWITCH OFF....and its one reason I REALLY enjoy riding a motorcycle....its pure.

bottom line Jason, after swerving to avoid a texter this morning doing 35 in a 50mph zone AND weaving, nix texting in a car full stop. Bet it would bring families closer as well. People today just CANT SWITCH OFF....and its one reason I REALLY enjoy riding a motorcycle....its pure.

You're brave for riding one today, I'd be scared to do that anymore. At least when the texter hits me I have some steel around me vs becoming an organ donor. Around here it isn't even just the texters, it's the people eating, putting on makeup, reading the paper, old drivers, etc.

• Like 2

I'm at 85000 miles on the bike, and still in one piece, secret is to ride like you've had 16 double espressos, be hyper aware of what's going on around you...AND some luck...it may be one reason I think these tests are getting ludicrous...I don't even have safety belts and I don't ride scared....

Funny--when I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "IIH$." That somehow seems appropriate.The fact that they threw "Institute" and "Safety" into their name doesn't negate the fact that they are beholden to the insurance industry which has a very big profit motive in declaring vehicles unsafe. "Oh, that Canyonero is a one-star SUV, so we'll need to jack your premiums, thankyouverymuch..."

• Like 2

Too much focus on making vehicles even safer when more driver education is required,

until we change the mindset of drivers and get them to recognize to what are unsafe acts,

we won't see any meaningful decrease in close calls, minor accidents and serious MVAs.

It all starts with what leads up to car crashes and how they can be avoided in the first place.

It just amazes me how many drivers do not think their actions impinge on others.

Edited by jpd80

We just spent 2 weeks cruising the Mediterranean. The drivers in Rome are nuts - way worse than any in the U.S. that I've seen. And the scooters were the worst, darting in and out of traffic. Lanes and other markings are merely suggestions. Yet they say there are very few accidents because everybody pays attention.

I do a lot of bicycle riding. I don't know anyone who rides a lot who has not been hit or had some type of run in with cars. ( run off road) . Even if you are super aware some asshat putting on makeup will do something so unexpected you can't even react.

We just spent 2 weeks cruising the Mediterranean. The drivers in Rome are nuts - way worse than any in the U.S. that I've seen. And the scooters were the worst, darting in and out of traffic. Lanes and other markings are merely suggestions. Yet they say there are very few accidents because everybody pays attention.

A few years ago, I went through some technical training, and one of the guys in the class had spent several years in Europe while in the USAF. He said you absolutely had to pay attention when driving in Italy--f'rinstance, there'd be two lanes of traffic heading one way, and if the cars in front of you started parting, you'd better dodge to the side, too, because there was a car coming the opposite direction, right up the middle of the road.

A few years ago, I went through some technical training, and one of the guys in the class had spent several years in Europe while in the USAF. He said you absolutely had to pay attention when driving in Italy--f'rinstance, there'd be two lanes of traffic heading one way, and if the cars in front of you started parting, you'd better dodge to the side, too, because there was a car coming the opposite direction, right up the middle of the road.

Our guide even said that the lines on the road were merely suggestions. Including stop signs, traffic lights and crosswalks. She was right. Some roads didn't even bother with lane markings. You just made your own lane. But it worked!