'16 F150 Features Sport Mode

All you had to say is you don't like it and would never use it and leave it at that. Calling it a gimmick implies that it's not useful to other people and that's simply not true.

You continually make objective statements that aren't factually accurate then get your panties in a wad when people call you out on it.

Learn how to state your subjective preferences as opinions, not facts.

Its an easy way to have better shift scheduling without having to muss your fuel economy numbers with the EPA. I like the idea.

Exactly. Mercedes-Benz offers 'Agility Select' and BMW offers 'Driver Experience Control' on its newest cars for this very reason. Customers can configure Eco, Normal, and Sport oriented settings to satisfy their driving preferences, while the manufacturers can program the default settings to satisfy the EPA.

Edited by aneekr

All you had to say is you don't like it and would never use it and leave it at that. Calling it a gimmick implies that it's not useful to other people and that's simply not true.

You continually make objective statements that aren't factually accurate then get your panties in a wad when people call you out on it.

Learn how to state your subjective preferences as opinions, not facts.

The only one with his draws in a knot about this is you. You just can't let it go can you?

Just because a lot of people like it doesn't make it not a gimmick. It's a gimmick. I couldn't care less what you or the rest of the world think about it. That's what I think about it and no amount of objection on your part is going to change my mind.

I'm just telling you where I come out on it. I'm going to be buying a full size pickup in the not to distant future and for me a pickup truck with sport mode is just silly. Mind you we aren't talking about SVT / Lighting / purpose built sport trucks. We are talking about a run of the mill light duty truck. I'd rather have the 4 row radiator than the the sport mode if they are going to start putting things on trucks that they don't really need. Heck even a dedicated transmission cooler would be more useful to me than some sport mode.

I guess that wasn't clear enough.

But back on topic, I wonder if they will offer this sport mode in the 4WD models and how that will work out?

Edited by BlackHorse

my guess is its just a ECM mode exstention of Tow Mode, and will it be a selling point...doubtful...Im looking forward to the 5.2 Flatplane AWD single cab short bed ...WITH A MANUAL TRANS.....

Now the flat plane crank engine in the F150 would be interesting but I wonder if that engine would be as good at towing or hauling as a more conventional crank motor?

F150s have a 4 Low mode or just 4 High? I would hope they disable the sport mode while the truck is in 4 Low to prevent people from damaging their drive line.

Yes, F150s have 4 Low. I don't think the sport mode would damage the drive line as it is just holding RPMs longer or down shifting sooner.

The sport mode is a gimmick. It changes the shift pattern a bit but it's nothing note worthy. If they really wanted to do something with the F150 than lets talk about a heavy duty 4 row radiator as standard equipment. How about a more heavy duty transmission? Something along those lines. You know, something that a truck actually needs. An F150 needs a sport mode about like a fish needs a bicycle.

Since the bulk of F150s are crew cabs and mostly used like large cars, i think the sports mode is in keeping with those buyers.

I think you're calling for options based on past experience in times where trucks were built to minimums

and their transmissions and cooling systems couldn't cope with some heavy towing conditions.

No doubt there is always room to improve but the gap on deficiency is less these days..

I just saw on youtube a 2.7 EB F150 tow 8,000 lbs up Ike Gauntlet at 60-65 mph at times backing off to avoid speeding.

The thing kicked RAM 1500 Ecodiesel's balls in, nine miles of constant hill and an eternity between the two..

Not meaning to sounds like a fan boy here but this new 2.7 EB seems to be under rated by Ford,

I suspect that in real life it tows nearly as well as the 3.5 EB but with a lot better economy and

I'd love to read your perception if/when you test drive some of your potential truck purchases... :)

I'm a little disappointed with what Ford is doing with the 5.0, it seems like it's being marginalized by the EBs

instead of ford say, increasing capacity to 5.4 or maybe 5.8 to give a better V8 experience..

Edited by jpd80

Since the bulk of F150s are crew cabs and mostly used like large cars, i think the sports mode is in keeping with those buyers.

I think you're calling for options based on past experience in times where trucks were built to minimums

and their transmissions and cooling systems couldn't cope with some heavy towing conditions.

No doubt there is always room to improve but the gap on deficiency is less these days..

I just saw on youtube a 2.7 EB F150 tow 8,000 lbs up Ike Gauntlet at 60-65 mph at times backing off to avoid speeding.

The thing kicked RAM 1500 Ecodiesel's balls in, nine miles of constant hill and an eternity between the two..

Not meaning to sounds like a fan boy here but this new 2.7 EB seems to be under rated by Ford,

I suspect that in real life it tows nearly as well as the 3.5 EB but with a lot better economy and

I'd love to read your perception if/when you test drive some of your potential truck purchases... :)

I'm a little disappointed with what Ford is doing with the 5.0, it seems like it's being marginalized by the EBs

instead of ford say, increasing capacity to 5.4 or maybe 5.8 to give a better V8 experience..

Actually i already drove a 2.7 in regular cab 4WD configuration (2014 model). It had plenty of power on its own. I couldn't see me ever using a sport mode in it.

2014 model did not have the 2.7.

Salesman must have lied then. I never looked under the hood. It was definitely a 2014. Either way, I wouldn't use a sport mode in a pickup.

It must have been the 3.5 because I distinctly remember some sort of ecoboost gauge.

Edited by BlackHorse

Salesman must have lied then. I never looked under the hood. It was definitely a 2014. Either way, I wouldn't use a sport mode in a pickup.

It must have been the 3.5 because I distinctly remember some sort of ecoboost gauge.

If it was a '14, and had the EcoBoost badge on the door, then it was the 3.5. Otherwise, maybe the 3.7?

If it was a '14, and had the EcoBoost badge on the door, then it was the 3.5. Otherwise, maybe the 3.7?

It was definitely an ecoboost. I remember the badging and the boost gauge info on the little center screen of the instrument cluster. It was an FX4 package so pretty well optioned out. Had to have been the 3.5 and the guy just said 2.7. Eighty percent of car salesman don't know crap about their own products.

• Like 1