2.7 Liter Ecoboost

Melltimejr

An engineer buddy of mine was talking with me about the Edge the other day when I told them that I was looking into ordering a 2016 as soon as I could. The engineer, former Ford, now at a supplier, strongly suggested that I avoid the 2.7 ecoboost. Though they didn't go into specifics, the consensus was that there are long term longevity issues that haven't necessarily been worked out yet and that the engine, in the long run, would likely cost me a good amount of money.

I was disappointed because I had been pretty set on getting a Sport, and also surprised to hear this since Ford is putting that engine in the F-150...I wouldn't think they'd risk anything subpar in the F-150. Given the circles that this engineer runs in, I'm inclined to believe their words of caution. Anyone else hear or have any inside information pertaining to this?

I have heard about the carbon problem. The one thing that sets Ford apart is the turbo. There is no Ford approved induction cleaning service for the EcoBoost. Engineering has found that the cleaning service, such as BG or equivalent, is taking out the turbos. So until they find out a little more, don't induction clean. The video I saw, the guy suggests that you should use a top tier fuel and not just the cheapest gas you find. Another thing is to just go out on the backroads and blow it out like we did in the old days. Some people call it the old " Italian tune up". Other than that, the Eco's appear to be a good engine choice. I love the torque I get out of my truck. I could pull the wheels off my old 5.4L.

Edited by Xbar

Is there a real world difference between the Ford and Lincoln versions? I see the specs call out a slight difference in output, but is it really a big enough jump on that type of car or is it a marketing thing to help draw a line between the edge and mkx?

Previous EcoBoost engines for trucks were "tuned" for more low end torque.

I just don't buy into this kind of propaganda. If there were some behind the scenes conversations to back this up and it was leaked, your telling me the Auto News Media would not have already been all over it and Nancy Drew'd it to death????

What propaganda are you speaking of?

What propaganda are you speaking of?

The whole deal about avoiding buying a 2.7 because some former engineer who won't go into detail etc. etc. If there were some significant underpinning type longevity problems with the 2.7, do you really think that some engineer would leak NDA type information (former employee or not) and that the Automotive Press would not have already been unearthing the skeletons???

There is the classic line, "Never buy a car the first year of production." For the same logic, it applies to the powertains (engine and transmissions).

Partly true. But what about when they start to do cost saves down the line and cheapen them up? Sometimes, after they get the bugs worked out in the end of the first year or early second year, that may the best time to buy. Salary workers are always on the lookout for cost saves, good or bad.

Edited by Xbar

Partly true. But what about when they start to do cost saves down the line and cheapen them up? Sometimes, after they get the bugs worked out in the end of the first year or early second year, that may the best time to buy. Salary workers are always on the lookout for cost saves, good or bad.

I haven't seen Ford do that recently. Any examples?

I work with enough Engineers to know that they are always on the prowl for cost saves. Whether it's process, material, or design, their performance reviews sometimes depend on it. One example would be this: Sit in a 2007 (first year) Edge, then sit in a 2010. The seating was so less plush and less comfortable that I held out until 2015 to let go of my "07". Just one observation.

Edited by Xbar

• 1 month later...

So the problem that is troubling the engineer is that the engine block is two pieces and those two pieces are made of different metals; aluminum and cast iron. Apparently this is the only ecoboost variant to use two different metals for the block. The fear is that the longevity through repeated cycles will be compromised since different metals wear, expand, and contract at different rates. The block will eventually leak and cost thousands to repair/replace. Apparently the design was delayed multiple times and engineering wasn't pleased with its longevity. However, with the $$$ invested in it, the white collars decided to push it through. The engine seems like a marvel now, but once they get time and miles on them...??? What say you?