The New Navigator-

Wow. Fire the whole product team. Brand new and dead last.

I know the "C/D hates domestics!" crowd will be all over this, but here's my point:

It's slowest.

It has the longest braking distances.

Its instrument cluster is truly, horribly, fugly.

It handled worst.

So...here's the point...if these measured performance failures are consistent from publication to publication, it's not some editorial opinion that sunk this barge-it's the engineers.

The gauges really do remind me of 20+ year-old Fords I've owned. C/Ds verdict is very quotable:

"What were they thinking?"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the "C/D hates domestics!" crowd will be all over this, but here's my point:

It's slowest.

It handled worst.

So...here's the point...if these measured performance failures are consistent from publication to publication, it's not some editorial opinion that sunk this barge-it's the engineers.

The gauges really do remind me of 20+ year-old Fords I've owned. C/Ds verdict is very quotable:

Hate to say it, but I agree. The truck is FUGLY.

What did they compare it to ?

Escalade

QX56

Q7

GL450

All were between 200 and 210 inches long. The Nav was biggest and (in keeping with current tradition) heaviest.

Least hp

Among worst in FE

I may puke. If this is Lincoln's direction, I think it'd be the best brand to sell off.

How can the initial reviews on the Expedition be so good, and the Navigator be so bad?

Dosen't make sense, are they not essentially the same vehicle?

Exactly, they're tvery similar vehicles in two differnent classes. I bet with a higher hp engine it would have done better in the rankings.

why do you guys listen to these magazines? espeically C\D? They are very biased... heck, they said alot of goofy things about the fusion which were completely bogus, especially the 0-60 and 1/4 times.. plus, its all opinnion... everyone make your own, dont let a bunch of so called know it alls make you decide whats good and not.

The Expy isn't competing against a 400 hp Escalade, or entries from Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, or Audi. The Nav got its ass thoroughly kicked.

The Expy only has to deal with Tahoes, Suburbans, Sequoias, and Titans.

Ok, and besides gold lettering, the difference between a Sequoia and a LX is?

This is only somewhat surprising ..

We all knew the negine is too weak for th e class - while Expy's class has plenty of 300hp runners, the Luxo-SUV's are all in 400's ..

Also we should keep in minds that Q7 is nowhere near being a competitor to the Navi - it is Unibody midsize SUV. And even without that - Q7 is as all new as the Navi and the Escallade. Then only old runners in the comparo it the Lexus and the Infinity

However , I am surprised handling and braking anf interior is bashed. The Expy was praised for handling, and besides the Q7 I do not see one truck in that group that handles well. Interior is matter of taste, but I sure would prefer real wood than the 'Lade's fake one .. ot the horrendous GL interior.

I will wait until I can read the full review, to fully speculate, but while I was not expecting Navi to take the competition by the storm, I did not expect worse than midpack.

Igor

Edited by igor

why do you guys listen to these magazines? espeically C\D? They are very biased... heck, they said alot of goofy things about the fusion which were completely bogus, especially the 0-60 and 1/4 times.. plus, its all opinnion... everyone make your own, dont let a bunch of so called know it alls make you decide whats good and not.

I've found that 99% of all "C/D is biased" whining to be just that-whining.

The Fusion's performance times were consistent with most other publications'. The results wer actually better in C/D (2nd in comparo) than others I read, where the Fusion finished midpack.

Again, the "bias" has seemed to be worst while Ford's car wer, by their own admission, non-competitive. I don't buy the "bias" at all, especially when my own driving experiences back up their stories repeatedly.

Given that the Navigator is tallest, heaviest, and has the least power in class...why would any of those figures be false? Simple-they're not. The instrument panel is horriffic, and that's MY opinion.

The Expy is a great deal, but the Nav is the junk of its class.

Hopefully it will get a “Zephyr to MKZ†type update in 08 or 09 and get the 6.2L Hurricane standard and maybe an optional 7.0L with 450+ HP and fix that fugly front end & instrument panel. Otherwise, this thing may get the largest rebate Ford has ever offered just to sell a few. Why would anybody buy a Navigator over an Expedition Limited? The Expy offers the same of everything except the higher price. They really screwed themselves, again.

C/D didn't like the first gen Expy when it was the top seller in its segment. Not sure I'd get too excited about their opinion of these vehicles, since their track record has not been to "be in love" with the vehicle that sells best or even fares well in the segment.

Edited by Harley Lover

Is Ford really so stuck in their ways that they couldn't change a grille and instrument panel in the 8 months between its unveiling to when it goes on sale? They knew back in January that the public hated the looks of this thing. To even let it get to production is embarrassing.

Sure, it's woefully underpowered for its size, but if it at least LOOKED elegant, I think reviewers may be a bit inclined to overlook other shortcomings a bit more.

Ford, you screwed the pooch on this one. You should just delay it until you can redesign it. Period. :doh:

Lexus LX 470 - 268 hp

Dosen't make sense.

The Lexus isn't in the Comparo!!!!!! Atleast not in my issue of Car and Driver, and I doubt they edited my issue just because.

To get back on topic

Is it any suprise? You can call C&D biased all you want but they are 100% correct on this, Lincoln is the newest only to debut in last place among competitors, speaking of which I just got done taking a Ford Bold Moves survey where i get paid $5 a survey and they ask me what do I think about Fords current direction. LOL at that question.

C/D has always been a joke. Never in touch with the real world. and as far as the Navi goes, it should not have been released until it had a more powerful engine.

That's B.S. (IMHO). I've read these guys (C&D) for at least a 15+ years, and I've rarely seen them not call a spade a spade.

Road and Track on the other hand......

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

It's slowest.

It handled worst.

I saw one a few weeks back at a fund raiser in Miami everyone that was looking thought it was a step backwards. I think its just that bland boring look Ford has been showing off, from the 500/Freestyle to the Edge, nothing to make you say WOW I WANT ONE!!!!