Cadillac CT6 First Drive

rmc523

They should've called it CT5, then nobody would've known the difference with it looking like CTS.

That actually may not have been a terrible strategy.

Instead, they're replacing their SRX utility with the new XT5, which will have to share showroom space with with moribund XTS for a little while...

I dunno, I've heard CT4 would essentially re-merge ATS and CTS, while a smaller-than ATS CT2 will come later.

Something the size of original CTS (i.e. between BMW 3 and 5 series) will come out as CT4 to compete with BMW 3 series/Audi A4/Mercedes C-class/Lexus IS

Something the size of ATS will come out as CT2 to compete with BMW 1 series/Audi A3/Mercedes CLA/Lexus CT

They should've called it CT5, then nobody would've known the difference with it looking like CTS.

I don't think there will be a 4 door sedan with odd numbers.

Sedans

CT2

CT4

CT6

CT8

Coupes (it may be the 4 door kind)

CT3

CT5

CT7

CT9

SUV will be opposite, odd numbers "normal", even numbers "coupe".

If this plan looks a little like Audi, I think Johan would like you to think that.

It will be interesting to compare the engineering and designing details between the CT6/Conti.

Who raised the "bar" the most?

I don't think there's much of a question as to engineering and performance - the CT6 is a nice vehicle.

But I might give Conti the edge in features, styling and appealing to potential buyers.

Something the size of original CTS (i.e. between BMW 3 and 5 series) will come out as CT4 to compete with BMW 3 series/Audi A4/Mercedes C-class/Lexus IS

Something the size of ATS will come out as CT2 to compete with BMW 1 series/Audi A3/Mercedes CLA/Lexus CT

I don't think there will be a 4 door sedan with odd numbers.

Sedans

CT2

CT4

CT6

CT8

Coupes (it may be the 4 door kind)

CT3

CT5

CT7

CT9

SUV will be opposite, odd numbers "normal", even numbers "coupe".

If this plan looks a little like Audi, I think Johan would like you to think that.

That's more or less what I said.

As for the nomenclature, I know how it IS set up. I was just saying in an alternate universe, where they could've had the sedans odd (fitting with the beloved BMW setup), and named one "CT5," which looks just like CTS unless you look hard enough (with the more square font they use)

The XTS was pure stop-gap, a Buick-based replacement for the DTS to appeal to whatever was left of Cadillac's traditional buyers, and maybe pick up some professional car business along the way. It was decent for what it was, but it really wasn't much. The CT6 is a much more serious effort and it shows, but I don't see it as a range-topper. Just a nice large car. You bet China figures into this thing too.

Edited by 7Mary3

If I had my way, CT6 would be called Deville, and the ATS/CTS replacement would be called Seville. The current CTS has only one more cubic foot of interior and cargo space than the 3 series, so I'm not enthusiastic about any more Cadillacs smaller than the current CTS.

If I had my way, CT6 would be called Deville, and the ATS/CTS replacement would be called Seville. The current CTS has only one more cubic foot of interior and cargo space than the 3 series, so I'm not enthusiastic about any more Cadillacs smaller than the current CTS.

Well that's just it - CTS is marketed against the 5 series, yet is tiny inside.

Cadillac is killing the CTS and be replaced by an older Sigma sized CTS replacement (CT4). I'm sure heads rolled over the CTS legroom and price points.

• 2 weeks later...