Lincoln MKT Quietly Discontinued?

Now the only question remains is can I retro-fit the new horizontal slat grille onto my 2011 MKX?

PS: The horizontal slat grille worked wonders for Navigator sales...just sayin'.

Retrofit it on an MKX? No it wouldn't fit. Or was that supposed to say MKT?

Navigator also got an entirely new front end, rear end, and a relevant/modern powertrain (the latter of those, to be fair, MKT has had all along), so it was a much more thorough revamp that vastly improved its looks. MKT is still stuck with the same....shall we say unique...rear end, though. Some horizontal slats won't change that.

We could see an increase, but I expect it to be slight at best.

Retrofit it on an MKX? No it wouldn't fit. Or was that supposed to say MKT?

Navigator also got an entirely new front end, rear end, and a relevant/modern powertrain (the latter of those, to be fair, MKT has had all along), so it was a much more thorough revamp that vastly improved its looks. MKT is still stuck with the same....shall we say unique...rear end, though. Some horizontal slats won't change that.

We could see an increase, but I expect it to be slight at best.

Just kidding about the retro fit.... ;)

Has this moved to fleet only orders? Anybody buying a 2015 MKT in 2016 will take a massive depreciation hit, I know the incentives don't cover the difference.

The Instrument Panel is the same one they added with the update in 2013.

Not sure I like the new grille insert over the more finessed grille that worked with the rest of the fascia. I always liked how that previous grille tucked in at the bottom and had a denser more premium look. This horizontal grille looks too basic. In any case, you don't really need to make an Uber X look attractive, haha.

Edited by BORG

The grille change helps.

It's odd that the new insert is meant to align with the MKZ's 2013 "whisker" language, as the rest of the lineup quickly moves to the Continental embossed squircle grille.

Well, as I (think I) said above, it makes sense to me. MKT lives on until 2018 (2019MY?). For the 2018MY, Navigator is finally replaced with the concept one. Then for 2019 MY, MKC is set to be redesigned (completely, with the Conti grille), and MKX should also be getting a refresh (presumably also gaining the Conti's grille). Therefore MKT finally fits in with the rest of the crossovers/SUVs with the horizontal split wing grille for 2 or 3 years until both the split wing grille and MKT are ushered out the door.

Has this moved to fleet only orders? Anybody buying a 2015 MKT in 2016 will take a massive depreciation hit, I know the incentives don't cover the difference.

The Instrument Panel is the same one they added with the update in 2013.

Not sure I like the new grille insert over the more finessed grille that worked with the rest of the fascia. I always liked how that previous grille tucked in at the bottom and had a denser more premium look. This horizontal grille looks too basic. In any case, you don't really need to make an Uber X look attractive, haha.

Ah, I didn't realize they added that instrument panel then. Did they also add the last-gen MKX's touch slider/touch center stack controls then too? If so, I didn't realize it.

I think the new grille looks better.

I don't think its fleet only. The 3.7 and 2.0 EB are indicated as fleet only engines, the 3.5 EB is not, which leads me to believe it's available retail (at least theoretically).

Intesting that the engines are called GTDI instead of using the EB branding.

I don't think its fleet only. The 3.7 and 2.0 EB are indicated as fleet only engines, the 3.5 EB is not, which leads me to believe it's available retail (at least theoretically).

That's a Lincoln thing. They're doing that across the whole brand.

Hmm...I had no idea they offered the 2.0 in the MKT in any form. Interesting.

Lincoln as a whole is shifting away from using EcoBoost branding as an intentional effort to separate itself from Ford (i.e. not a "dressed up Ford"). This began with the 2017 MKZ and Conti which receive #.#T branding (3.0T for example) as opposed to EcoBoost badges. I think it's a smart move....FWIW, I still don't think using TwinForce - which is what EcoBoost was going to be called - for Lincoln would be bad either, but T works ok).

Bottom line is, the less the average buyer (and perhaps more accurately, auto reviewers) have to associate Lincoln with Ford, the better. And that's obviously not to say association with Ford is bad, per se, but Lincoln as we all know has a reputation of being nothing but tarted up Fords. This is just one more effort to shed that image. And it shows that they're aware of the details that are needed to give Lincoln a new image.

• Like 1

Honestly, I look for Ford to move away from the EcoBoost name soon and start using GTDI. I think it has run its course, and can even be seen as a negative for those with bad experience in the MPG front with their turbo engines.

I suppose it's possible, especially as hybridization and electrification become more mainstream, but in the meantime, it's hard to argue with the branding strength they've gotten out of the name......perhaps they'll emphasize the "Boost" more than the "Eco" part of it. Here's a sneak peek at the new logo: :hysterical:

EcoBoost

• Like 2

I suppose it's possible, especially as hybridization and electrification become more mainstream, but in the meantime, it's hard to argue with the branding strength they've gotten out of the name......perhaps they'll emphasize the "Boost" more than the "Eco" part of it. Here's a sneak peek at the new logo: :hysterical:

EcoBoost

Oh, they've definitely gotten a lot of branding out of the name, and I think it has been great. I'm just thinking that it is becoming more commonplace now, and it may be time to move on. I like the new logo though! :hysterical:

Here's the fleet card for the 2017 MKT.

It receives a horizontal slat grille. Also looks to get a new gauge cluster (center speedo surrounded by 2 screens) and steering wheel.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2017/2017%20Lincoln%20MKT.pdf

2017MKT_zpsvfn3q2y9.png

(there's a second page at the link showing colors, dimensions, etc.

I've never been fond of the MKT but this new revision looks the best!