Jeep's New Grand Wagoneer Could Cost "Up to $140,000"

blwnsmoke

WTF????

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31002/new-jeep-grand-wagoneer-price/

So let's compare. A base Range Rover costs $85,000, rising to $140,000 for Autobiography. But Manley is confident Jeep can compete at that level once people learn how awesome the Grand Wagoneer is.

So how high could the Grand Wagoneer's sticker go? "Pushing the car up to $130,000 to $140,000 may be possible, but we need to establish Grand Wagoneer in its own right first," Manley said. "That's why I wouldn't say there's price ceiling."

PS - reported the post to have the title fixed to JEEP'S .

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

I think what he is trying to say (not very eloquently) is that it will not have a price anywhere near that amount. However, if it has demand, they will offer versions that are "super luxury" that could compete in the same rarified price range. He clearly says that they need to establish the vehicle in its own right first. Seeing the paragraph prior to his quote, it seems to me they tried to put words in his mouth and he failed miserably.

That being said, I just built out an Escalade and I gave up checking boxes when I hit $108k. I'd say we wait to see the vehicle first to see what potential it has.

• Like 2

Jeep doesn't have the amenities of the Continental and there is a huge difference between $80K and $130K.

You don't know what the Wagoneer will have and I doubt buyers won't buy it because it don't have 30-way seats.

With that said the only Mopar worth over $100k is Viper. IMO they should gone with a new Commander and priced up to $80k instead.

Edited by Fgts

You don't know what the Wagoneer will have and I doubt buyers won't buy it because it don't have 30-way seats.

You can't justify a $80K+ vehicle without certain features. Lincoln has those features, Jeep does not today. Sure they can develop them - just pointing out that they don't have any of those today so they'd be starting from scratch.

Jeep doesn't have the amenities of the Continental and there is a huge difference between $80K and $130K.

The Lincoln starts around $49,000 and has that 80,000 version advertised. The Jeep I could see starting around $70,000, so a climb up to 130,000 would not be that much more out of touch than that Lincoln. Remember, I said it is a smoking crack kind of idea, not a smart one.

One of PT Barnum's suckers born every minute would love either of these, while smart people would not.

As far as the Jeep being twice as expensive, remember Jeep is a much hotter brand that Lincoln (and the only thing that's valuable in FCA). Lincoln made big strides, but has a long way to go from being perceived as the "Sans a Belt" brand of cars or the "you're still here?" brand. Jeep sells SUV and CUVs which are in much more demand than anything Lincoln has to offer.

Only something like Iran firing missiles into the Straights of Hormuz and sending gas prices of $6.00 would crash Jeep.

How much do you think a Navigator Black Label will cost? The Continental is $80K, that's a $20K+ increase over the most expensive MKS and nearly DOUBLE the baseline for Continental. So there is inherently huge swings in this segment. Lincoln typically doesn't go through those big swings because they've always been a value-level semi luxury brand but they are moving up a few notches with Continental.

I think Navigator will easily clear $100K+ and represent the biggest price swing yet for Lincoln, although I think it will be a very different type of vehicle than the Land Rover (Bigger, Truckier, Soft Roading Only).

Edited by BORG

Let's be real, 95% of Range Rovers don't even see soft roading, considering their off-road capabilities.

I do believe that the Navigator should be different than the Range Rover, as the Range Rover is purposely only built with two rows of seating because they believe it to be a straight luxury vehicle not a family vehicle. I learned this while doing research on a full size replacement SUV. Much to my dismay there was no third row to be had.

How much do you think a Navigator Black Label will cost? The Continental is $80K, that's a $20K+ increase over the most expensive MKS and nearly DOUBLE the baseline for Continental.

The Conti moved up in price because of the MKZ, which can top out at 55k or so with all the options.

As for the baseline for the conti...I'm sure that he 44k price point is for livery duty, if ford decides to pursue it.

The Conti moved up in price because of the MKZ, which can top out at 55k or so with all the options.

As for the baseline for the conti...I'm sure that he 44k price point is for livery duty, if ford decides to pursue it.

Actually MKZ tops out around $62K.

Continental is designed specifically for livery duty in China and I think it's a certainty we'll see a "Town Car" version here once MKT is phased out, if not sooner, but they'll certainly cost more than the baseline Continental which is specifically intended for retail.

Edited by BORG

FCA has been leaving a lot of Jeep money on the table. I'm not saying $140k is the right amount for the fully loaded Wagoneer but it is the right strategy to keep pushing the MSRP upwards. I can see the base MSRP in the $60k range and the super fancy one in the $110k range.

I could see it competing with Explorer/Aviator in the $40K - $70K price range. To go higher would require a premium dealer experience - how are they going to do that with current Jeep dealers? It would almost require a new brand.

I'm sure Jeep dealerships in China will be quite premium, which I'm sure is the primary market. I think everybody needs to remember that the primary market is always China.

I could see it competing with Explorer/Aviator in the $40K - $70K price range. To go higher would require a premium dealer experience - how are they going to do that with current Jeep dealers? It would almost require a new brand.

I tend to agree... for every other brand but Jeep is one of those elastic brands that can probably be successfully stretched. Grand Cherokee buyers are already quite affluent on average and they typically cross-shop luxury brands and still end up buying a Jeep. So there is some slack there that Sergio is seeking to exploit. Grand Cherokee Summit is $60k and SRT is between $70 and 80k so it's not a big stretch to now push the top end of MSRP towards $100k.

I think we all agree that $140k is not going to happen but I think $100k is a reasonable reach for Jeep.

• Like 1