Ford cancels Mexico plant. Will create 700 U.S. jobs in 'vote of confidence' in Trump

There was never a commitment from FNA to take the CD4 Taurus, it was developed by Ford Asia Pacific

at Geelong, Australia. Those people were advised early on that the US would be dong the MKS replacement

as a separate project..hence the wheelbase and top hat is entirely different.

My opnion is that Nth America will dead leg D3 Taurus as long as the PI and PI Ute remain and then

consider where they are with large cars after that, not sure if they'd import from China.....

Exactly.

The main takeaway from what you said is Oakville has room to expand production even though it is

feeding Edge sales globally, there's still a bit of head room left.

I was thinking about MKZ moving to Flat Rock to free up Fusion and Focus production at Hermosillo,

that may or may not work for the supplier parks....

We still have a rather "empty" plant at Cuautitlan...I think that's the Ute production balancer in all of this.

I don't see a large sedan in the US after D3, also the supplier park is interesting as there isn't really much of one around FRAP. That could be that many suppliers have various plants around metro Detroit and just truck shipments in, or maybe they will be building some around FRAP. There is a huge CN rail yard nearby so they maybe the plan is to bringing in supplies by truck/rail.

• Like 1

I don't see a large sedan in the US after D3, also the supplier park is interesting as there isn't really much of one around FRAP. That could be that many suppliers have various plants around metro Detroit and just truck shipments in, or maybe they will be building some around FRAP. There is a huge CN rail yard nearby so they maybe the plan is to bringing in supplies by truck/rail.

they already do. Those trains are a royal pain in the ass here locally

they already do. Those trains are a royal pain in the ass here locally

So as FRAP get bigger, maybe Ford needs to consider other more reliable just in time delivery modes...

I say Ford because it's up to them to tell suppliers that the present situation is not good enough.

Edited by jpd80

"This is a vote of confidence" in Trump and the economy, said Fields. We are "encouraged by pro-growth policies, particularly reform around tax and regulatory policies."

-----

Drudge headline:

GREAT AGAIN: CONSTRUCTION HITS 10 YEAR HIGH

FORD CANCELS MEXICO PLANT; EXPANDING IN MICHIGAN

Good work, Ford. You've ensured my next vehicle won't be a Ford or Lincoln. Even if the decisions announced here make a ton of sense, I won't give money to a company that believes or portrays Trump's win as something good for the economy or the country.

The racist, misogynist, xenophobic Trump voters can keep Ford going. I won't be part of it.

Good work, Ford. You've ensured my next vehicle won't be a Ford or Lincoln. Even if the decisions announced here make a ton of sense, I won't give money to a company that believes or portrays Trump's win as something good for the economy or the country.

The racist, misogynist, xenophobic Trump voters can keep Ford going. I won't be part of it.

4c74c3326da65af5d3fb4d6536548c68.jpg

• Like 2

I can't comprehend how some people don't understand that adding new jobs is good for the economy. More jobs equals less government assistance and more tax revenue.

The economy adds OVER 5,000 jobs A DAY, EVERY DAY. 700 jobs is nothing on a macro level. I can't comprehend how some people don't understand just how big the US economy is.

Let's think through this logically: If the max SAAR is somewhere around 17-18MM vehicles, and Ford's taxes go down and regulations are eased to make it easier for corporations to abuse the environment, do you think Ford will sell more vehicles (to who?) or increase profit?

If you want to reduce taxes on corporations, make it easier to pollute the environment and make it easier for employers to take advantage of employees, that's your call. All I've said is I won't be a part of that. Ford could have portrayed its move as purely economical and in response to market conditions. They purposely chose to politicize their decision. The fun part is, I've got the money, so I get to decide who gets it and I can politicize my purchasing, as easily as Ford politicizes their decision-making.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

Except they didn't politicize it beyond saying that was a small portion of the decision. The main message is that the market isn't going to dictate a new plant by the time the San Louis Potosi plant would have opened.

It's almost as if you haven't read the press release or watch Mark Fields' speech....

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I feel like this is a veiled shot at me ;)

I was under the impression that this is a whole separate building, but I guess that whole part of the plan is a little vague. I live in the neighborhood opposite of I-75 from the plant so I will be able to give construction updates once things get rolling.

Put in to transfer? Not sure if that's possible but they'll need more workers if they're expanding. Lol.

I'm not sure I understand why creating jobs is a political issue. Trump is a business man first and a politician only because that was the best way he could find to fix what he believes needs to be fixed. He didn't need this new job and his life will likely be a whole lot more miserable now and he was probably one of the few candidates on all sides that fit that description. Demonizing someone for trying to make your life better when he didn't have to do a damn thing for his own well being is also hard for some of us to comprehend.

• Like 1

racist, misogynist, xenophobic Trump voters can keep Ford going.

Watch it.

And before you accuse me of being a Trump voter, I didn't vote for him. I don't like him. I think he's unctuous, barely literate, and uncouth.

But I dislike partisan fury, I dislike people who believe they're on the side of angels, and that their opponents as a whole are inherently more base, stupider, more immoral or more given to criminal activity.

If you can't come on this forum without attacking people who voted for someone you don't like, then you don't belong here.

Period.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

The economy adds OVER 5,000 jobs A DAY, EVERY DAY

Are you qualified to speak to the employment mulitiplier involved in adding 700 high level manufacturing jobs? Or the economic impact of assembling upwards of $7B worth of merchandise?

No?

Then perhaps you shouldn't be lecturing the rest of us on economic growth.

Edited by RichardJensen

doesn't that plant build for all of Central and South America?

I heard that South America really put the brakes on Mexico selling into their markets,

that must surely affect any future decisions.......

Observing production and inventory over the last four years, the majority of sales from the two

Mexican plants is aimed at USA, Canada and a few for Mexico as well as some for Latin America.

Edit,

Ford Brazil doesn't advertise Ford Escape but Argentina advertises new Kuga,

maybe there's a hint of potential market coverage?

Edited by jpd80

This decision was made months ago.

There is more investment coming other than what has been announced. Some other investment into parts plants will be coming.

Not sure about powertrain, but there will be investments in Stamping plants around Flat Rock. Woodhaven, Flat Rock and maybe even Dearborn Stamping will be needed to support these vehicles.

Watch for it. More good news is coming.

• Like 1

Ford could have portrayed its move as purely economical and in response to market conditions. They purposely chose to politicize their decision. The fun part is, I've got the money, so I get to decide who gets it and I can politicize my purchasing, as easily as Ford politicizes their decision-making.

So let me get this straight....so if Ford just said "we're cancelling the plant because we foresee a market decline and don't need the excess production of a full plant," you'd have been fine with that, but they say "we're cancelling the plant because we foresee a market decline and don't need the excess production of a full plant and are making the move as a vote of confidence in the economy" and you're all up in arms?

This decision was made months ago.

There is more investment coming other than what has been announced. Some other investment into parts plants will be coming.

Not sure about powertrain, but there will be investments in Stamping plants around Flat Rock. Woodhaven, Flat Rock and maybe even Dearborn Stamping will be needed to support these vehicles.

Watch for it. More good news is coming.

I hope you're right, I'm tired of waiting....

I'm not sure I understand why creating jobs is a political issue. Trump is a business man first and a politician only because that was the best way he could find to fix what he believes needs to be fixed. He didn't need this new job and his life will likely be a whole lot more miserable now and he was probably one of the few candidates on all sides that fit that description. Demonizing someone for trying to make your life better when he didn't have to do a damn thing for his own well being is also hard for some of us to comprehend.

It's hilarious you think he's trying to make my life better. And I'm a middle-class, straight, white male. There is no scenario under which Latinos, members of the LGBT community, women or the poor are better off with Trump. "He's a businessman." For God's sake.

So let me get this straight....so if Ford just said "we're cancelling the plant because we foresee a market decline and don't need the excess production of a full plant," you'd have been fine with that, but they say "we're cancelling the plant because we foresee a market decline and don't need the excess production of a full plant and are making the move as a vote of confidence in the economy" and you're all up in arms?

LOL. Except, that's NOT what they said, now is it? They said it was vote of confidence in Trump. I'm not sure why it's difficult to see and understand my objection to Ford's public statements on the issue, not their decision itself.

Watch it.

And before you accuse me of being a Trump voter, I didn't vote for him. I don't like him. I think he's unctuous, barely literate, and uncouth.

But I dislike partisan fury, I dislike people who believe they're on the side of angels, and that their opponents as a whole are inherently more base, stupider, more immoral or more given to criminal activity.

If you can't come on this forum without attacking people who voted for someone you don't like, then you don't belong here.

Period.

No sweat. Have fun letting people on here bash Democrats, and whoever else they want, like Obama was repeatedly criticized (and his voters) without objection from you.

When the economy is in a recession in a year, you can say "I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm better than you because I don't talk about it" while everyone here who did vote for him refuse to accept responsibility when their big argument was "He's a businessman! He knows more about everything than that idiot Corey does!"

I'll just stand by and laugh.

Have a good one. It was fun while it lasted.

It's hilarious you think he's trying to make my life better. And I'm a middle-class, straight, white male. There is no scenario under which Latinos, members of the LGBT community, women or the poor are better off with Trump. "He's a businessman." For God's sake.

congratulations on being just as closed minded as he supposedly is