13 year old Ford Bronco concept shows up in the Rock's next movie...

But where would they have built it at?

The Bronco has been more or less rumored since 2004...just didn't make any sense in the line up till now with gas prices being low

Do keep in mind gas prices where still $3.70 a gallon on average in 2014 and the bottom didn't fall out till end of the year.

My primary concern with the Ranger now is making it fit into the truck lineup with the F-series styling wise...the mules are still showing a softly styled front end that looks like it belongs on the Edge or Escape vs a "truck".

Softer styling may not be a bad thing - perhaps it appeals to a slightly different audience than F-series? And therefore doesn't take as many F-series sales, but takes from other brands/products?

My guess is the Ranger is going to be promoted as a "lifestyle" vehicle much like the old Sport Trac was. Just look at the description on Ford's official Ranger website. That sort of goes along with how GM has promoted their mid-size offerings. They are not promoting them as hardcore work trucks and I doubt either manufacturer wants to promote direct competition with their own full-size offerings. Not sure how well this is working out for GM based on their faltering full-size sales but that could also be customers waiting on the next generation of the Silverado/Sierra.

As far as Bronco styling, I wonder what the fascination is with the 1973 model year? Technically, the Bronco had the same basic styling from 1966 through 1977. About the only "styling" change in that entire time was the addition of side marker lights and reflectors in 1968. There were some significant mechanical upgrades like optional power steering and auto trans in 1973 and standard front disc brakes in 1976 but no real styling changes.

My guess is the Ranger is going to be promoted as a "lifestyle" vehicle much like the old Sport Trac was. Just look at the description on Ford's official Ranger website. That sort of goes along with how GM has promoted their mid-size offerings. They are not promoting them as hardcore work trucks and I doubt either manufacturer wants to promote direct competition with their own full-size offerings. Not sure how well this is working out for GM based on their faltering full-size sales but that could also be customers waiting on the next generation of the Silverado/Sierra.

As far as Bronco styling, I wonder what the fascination is with the 1973 model year? Technically, the Bronco had the same basic styling from 1966 through 1977. About the only "styling" change in that entire time was the addition of side marker lights and reflectors in 1968. There were some significant mechanical upgrades like optional power steering and auto trans in 1973 and standard front disc brakes in 1976 but no real styling changes.

I think the lifestyle strategy is a good approach and the Ranger should not mimic the F150 styling. It should stand alone as it's own vehicle style wise which might help prevent some canabalism. Pricing will be a key element to this as well.

As for Chevy/Gmc full sized truck sales, what is really the incentive to buy a new one? It's kind of like the Fusion, with little significant change to entice anyone.

I think the lifestyle strategy is a good approach and the Ranger should not mimic the F150 styling. It should stand alone as it's own vehicle style wise which might help prevent some canabalism. Pricing will be a key element to this as well.

As for Chevy/Gmc full sized truck sales, what is really the incentive to buy a new one? It's kind of like the Fusion, with little significant change to entice anyone.

If the spy shots and reports are accurate, gM is going alloy body / steel bed on Silverado and Sierra next year (2018).

So the next twelve months could see GM's truck sales a little subdues..although the 10-speed auto may give them

a nice bump and enough to get through to the new models.

Ranger is smaller /narrower enough not to conquest too many F 150 sales, especially if Ford prices it judiciously,

there's a nice little price niche just below F150 ripe for the picking, one confirmed by GM and the Colorado /Canyon.

I just hope Ford goes after mid sized buyers with the right gas engines, the 2.7 EB looks like the perfect fit and would

be unmatched by the competition.

Ranger is a cool truck and will act as a counterpoint to the sea of mid sized utilities now flooding the market.

Edited by jpd80

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Ranger came out looking more like the current Ridgeline than the current T6. I think the Ridgeline looks more like a Ford truck than the T6 does. The Ridgeline's underpinnings are another story...

Too bad we don't have an emoticon for stirring the pot. ;)

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Ranger came out looking more like the current Ridgeline than the current T6. I think the Ridgeline looks more like a Ford truck than the T6 does. The Ridgeline's underpinnings are another story...

:stirpot:
  • Like 1

NO THANKS!

Regarding the 2.7, I agree, that would be a perfect top of the line motor for it.

Edited by tbone

Saw this on another forum recently. The discussion had to do with another member of the forum trading his Sport Trac for a Colorado because he didn't like the looks of the current T6 Ranger which apparently meant he had no reason to wait for the 2019 Ranger. When I pointed out that no one other than perhaps Ford knows what the US version of the 2019 Ranger will look like another member posted this...

I don't care what the new Ranger looks like. I had a 30 minute discussion with a designer of the new Ranger. He asked me some detailed questions about what I liked about the Sport Trac and what I'd like to see in the new Ranger. I said I'd HAVE to have a power rear window and hard tonneau cover. He said those will be options on the new Ranger. He also said a bed extender will be available. It sounds like it WILL NOT be at all like the econobox that the old Ranger was. He said it'll have most of the features as the Edge or Explorer, except as a 4-door midsize pickup.

Saw this on another forum recently. The discussion had to do with another member of the forum trading his Sport Trac for a Colorado because he didn't like the looks of the current T6 Ranger which apparently meant he had no reason to wait for the 2019 Ranger. When I pointed out that no one other than perhaps Ford knows what the US version of the 2019 Ranger will look like another member posted this...

The thing I'd say to that, is that it's probably not a power roll down window like the Sport Trac had, instead a power sliding window.

That person's logic made absolutely no sense.

That person's logic made absolutely no sense.

Agreed. The only problem is that there is a lot of misinformation floating around and too many people have read or heard that we will be getting the T6 with probably a few minor changes. Hell, for all we know that could be absolutely true. Ford's cloak of secrecy doesn't help that situation at all.

Look at any website that has an article about the return of the Ranger and what do you see? A bunch of pictures of the T6. That's all they have to show and, unfortunately, a lot of people only look at the pictures....

The new Ranger will be packaged, positioned, and marketed as a lifestyle vehicle. Far closer to the 07-11 SportTrack than anything else domestically that's worn the Ranger nameplate.

I posted here about a year and a half ago that there was still indecision as to the name this truck would wear.

• Like 1

The new Ranger will be packaged, positioned, and marketed as a lifestyle vehicle. Far closer to the 07-11 SportTrack than anything else domestically that's worn the Ranger nameplate.

I posted here about a year and a half ago that there was still indecision as to the name this truck would wear.

Since Ford already has a 2019 Ranger webpage I would say that bit of indecision no longer exists.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

Edit: Just looking at that page it seems pretty obvious what direction their marketing is headed. The wording could easily be transposed into an old Sport Trac ad.

Edited by blksn8k2

Since Ford already has a 2019 Ranger webpage I would say that bit of indecision no longer exists.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

Edit: Just looking at that page it seems pretty obvious what direction their marketing is headed. The wording could easily be transposed into an old Sport Trac ad.

Where I live in Colorado - the trail head parking lots are Tacoma's and 4Runner's. Looks to me like the website is targeting the Tacoma customer.