Ford ‘misled customers’ in Australia over faulty vehicles and onsold problem cars to buyers, ACCC says

CAR maker Ford’s Australian business is facing legal action from the consumer watchdog over allegations it misled customers who bought faulty cars.

And despite being aware of widespread problems, the company allegedly onsold problem vehicles to unsuspecting new buyers.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/ford-misled-customers-in-australia-over-faulty-vehicles-and-onsold-problem-cars-to-buyers-accc-says/news-story/11c05121b636e5125936786cffa15ff5

And from caradvice.com.au

The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) has started proceedings against Ford Australia today, over long-running concerns regarding the company’s PowerShift automatic transmission fitted to variants of the Ford Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport sold between 2011 and 2016.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/570156/accc-to-sue-ford-over-powershift-conduct-ford-strongly-refutes-allegations/

Let's face it, Powershitt is a problem child transmission and no amount of clutch replacement

will cure those inherent faults from recurring at a later date,

1. Oil leaks on original clutch linings

2. Clutch dust build up in housing

3. Hot running gearbox causes eventual failure of control unit.

The fact that Ford Australia has now moved away from Powershift and onto 1.5 EB with 6F transmission

is in itself tacit confirmation that a major rework of the product was done behind closed doors.

I'm surprised that litigation crazy USA hasn't been slamming Ford long before now,

maybe Ford thinks it's done enough to eliminate immediate complaints (short sighted).

Edited by jpd80

I find it amusing that Chrysler, a company with somewhat of a reputation for shit transmissions can put together a DCT and Ford's is/was a total lemon from the beginning.

What do they sell that has a DCT in it now? All their small/mid-sized products are dead outside of CUV in the form of Jeep.

Edited by silvrsvt

Most rental car lots don't give that kind of complaint...

I know a few people that own them. Some of them know cars and some barely know how to put gas in the tank and I've never heard any of them complain about it.

The Focus DCT is another story. People even think it's somehow my fault because I help build the damn things. They don't seem to understand the fact that a. I work on doors and b. I'm not an engineer.

Re: Dart owners. I've often said that I openly question the intelligence of people that buy most FCA products. I've also said I openly question the critical thinking skills of millenials, usually ending with me proclaiming I hate my generation.

Every single person I know who owns a Dart is under the age of 30.

FCA sold so few units of the 1.4Turbo and Hyundai sourced DCT, I am not surprised you have not heard the noise :-)

September 15, 2015

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling more than 26,000 Dodge Dart vehicles from the 2013, 2014, and 2015 model years.

The recall is limited to 2013-2015 Dodge Darts equipped with dual dry-clutch transmissions. It affects 23,688 vehicles registered in the U.S., 3,376 in Canada, five in Mexico, and 451 elsewhere.

source http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1100032_2013-2015-dodge-dart-recalled-for-transmission-problem.

No manufacturers "DRY" dual clutch transmissions are any good.

FCA sold so few units of the 1.4Turbo and Hyundai sourced DCT, I am not surprised you have not heard the noise :-)

September 15, 2015

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling more than 26,000 Dodge Dart vehicles from the 2013, 2014, and 2015 model years.

The recall is limited to 2013-2015 Dodge Darts equipped with dual dry-clutch transmissions. It affects 23,688 vehicles registered in the U.S., 3,376 in Canada, five in Mexico, and 451 elsewhere.

source http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1100032_2013-2015-dodge-dart-recalled-for-transmission-problem.

No manufacturers "DRY" dual clutch transmissions are any good.

To be fair....The recall was for a bracket that held the TCM in place. Not really a "DCT problem".

To be fair....The recall was for a bracket that held the TCM in place. Not really a "DCT problem".

I believe if you read owners experiences whom had the recall done, still experience a faulty transmission. FCA's claim that it was a "bracket" issue IMO where incorrect in their assessment. Even with a new bracket and new TCM installed, many have had to have numerous TCM's replaced and still end up with malfunctioning transmission issues.

Edited by MKII