'18 F150 Top Safety Pick by IIHS

They produce to much glare for on coming drivers, (almost 200% over allowable threshold) they also don't have good visibility in turns. That actually is an issue with the Fusion and MKX as well. Edge I think is the worst vehicle tested with the HID's, it is almost 500% over the glare threshold in one of the tests.

If you go here http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/f-150-extended-cab-pickupclick on headlights you can look at both the technical measurements for glare as well as the difference for LED and Halogen.

Speaking of headlights I've always wondered why when you order the tow package it doesn't include even manual adjustable leveling headlights. Auto Leveling would be even nicer.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

That is why I love auto dimming outside and inside mirrors, you never realize how much they help until you drive a car without one. They are a GREAT feature.

One of the Worst for glare are the HIDs in the MKX when they come at me I always think they have the high beams on. On two lanes roads they are downright blinding where you see stars after they pass, older Audi's are equally as bad at this.

• Like 1

My 2008 focus has an auto dimming rear view. 2012 on it isn't even offered, which is BS for what is a nicer car.

I never want another car without it again

Yeah, I never understood that the Auto Dimming mirror and Rain sensing wipers went away after the first model year on the Focus. Though I thought the Auto dimming mirror came back then went away a second time.

I'm usually not bothered by the car/truck headlights behind me, but I wish my windshield would darken when oncoming traffic headlights hit it.

The LED lights from oncoming traffic are a real pain when the road undulates up and down. This is even more of a pain when the roads are wet.

I'm usually not bothered by the car/truck headlights behind me, but I wish my windshield would darken when oncoming traffic headlights hit it.

The LED lights from oncoming traffic are a real pain when the road undulates up and down. This is even more of a pain when the roads are wet.

What you would like are these active headlight -- they are however illegal to sell in the USA. Though some people with Mercedes, BMW's and Audi code their US Cars to do this, you could also probably code a MKX with the LED option as well, though I'm not sure if the US version have the levelers installed. Ford offers these on the Mondeo and Edge in the ROW markets

The US really needs to make some significant changes to the lighting standards, or just adopt the UN vehicle lighting standards.

• Like 1

I'm Not ready for baby number 2 yet. Too much uncertainty next year to go there

My wife on the other hand... well let's just say that's a bit of a point of contention right now.

You know, we were that way for a while (my job was not very secure for a bit), but then we realized we couldn't put our life on hold for what MAY happen and had to just live and hope and pray for the best. I definitely understand your position, so not telling you what to do, just thoughts from someone who has been there. Best of luck to you, and enjoy the little one(s) when they're little because time goes WAY too fast.

• Like 2

What you would like are these active headlight -- they are however illegal to sell in the USA. Though some people with Mercedes, BMW's and Audi code their US Cars to do this, you could also probably code a MKX with the LED option as well, though I'm not sure if the US version have the levelers installed. Ford offers these on the Mondeo and Edge in the ROW markets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPtmmzc1XM

The US really needs to make some significant changes to the lighting standards, or just adopt the UN vehicle lighting standards.

That is some cool tech. It doesnt make any sense there are laws preventing it from being utilized here.

• Like 1

You know, we were that way for a while (my job was not very secure for a bit), but then we realized we couldn't put our life on hold for what MAY happen and had to just live and hope and pray for the best. I definitely understand your position, so not telling you what to do, just thoughts from someone who has been there. Best of luck to you, and enjoy the little one(s) when they're little because time goes WAY too fast.

I agree with this position. You cant predict the future so be sure to not delay your life too much. You have to live it because I can assure you that time will fly for you now that you have one child. Its incredible how fast time moves now.

I personally would rather wait until Ben is a little older (in the 2-3 year range) so he's a little more self sufficient before we take on another infant. Plus that way he's old enough to maybe help out a little bit with minor things to help take some of the strain off of us. She seems doesn't want to wait that long for some reason.

Either way 2 car seats aren't fitting in the back of a Focus, and definitely not in the 2 door one. I haven't even tried with that one and with all the issues with it there's no way I'm putting a child in it anyway.

I personally would rather wait until Ben is a little older (in the 2-3 year range) so he's a little more self sufficient before we take on another infant. Plus that way he's old enough to maybe help out a little bit with minor things to help take some of the strain off of us. She seems doesn't want to wait that long for some reason.

This I understand. Ours are three years apart for that reason.

Either way 2 car seats aren't fitting in the back of a Focus, and definitely not in the 2 door one. I haven't even tried with that one and with all the issues with it there's no way I'm putting a child in it anyway.

I agree for the very reasons you mention. I think 2-3 years is about optimal.

This I understand. Ours are three years apart for that reason.

There is 2 years, 2 months between our first two and 3 years, 4 months between our second and third. 3 years apart in school, so we'll only have one year of overlap for college in each (assuming 4 years) to help ease the pain. :) Somewhere in there is about right IMO.

That is some cool tech. It doesnt make any sense there are laws preventing it from being utilized here.

Yes sir. IIHS filed a petition to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration back in 2012. It is attached. They said that FMVSS 108 (regulation that governs automotive lighting in the U.S.) needs to be revised to allow more advanced lighting technologies in U.S. market cars and light trucks. FMVSS 108 hasn't been updated since 1997.

IIHS provided evidence that advanced lighting technologies that were available at the time such as adaptive headlamps reduced collision and property damage insurance claims for models from at least three different car manufacturers.

comment_2012-09-10.pdf