Ford refuses to use 9-speed GM's automatic transmission

Considering that the first vehicles likely to get the 8-speed auto this year will be Edge / MKX and probably the Lincoln cars,

I can see why Ford went with the 8F57 first. I'd expect at least one lighter version for the smaller Asian/European engines.

Sadly, according to the 2019 Fleet Preview guide, the 2019 Continental and MKZ still are using the 6-speed auto. The only vehicles noted with the new 8-speed are the Edge/Nautilus and Transit Connect for 2019 at this point.

• Like 1

Sadly, according to the 2019 Fleet Preview guide, the 2019 Continental and MKZ still are using the 6-speed auto. The only vehicles noted with the new 8-speed are the Edge/Nautilus and Transit Connect for 2019 at this point.

which suggests that the Lincolns may be short timing or if they switch, it will be as 2020 year models....

Edited by jpd80

If the Lincoln sedans or any Lincoln sedan is continued, it should be on the CD6 platform with RWD so the 8F57 wouldn't be used. Considering the sales of the current Continental and the type of buyers it attracts (except me), very few could tell the difference between the 6F55 and the 8F57. It wouldn't surprise me if the current Conti never gets the 8 speed.

• Like 1

I think he was referring to platform. We know future architectures will all be FHEV/PHEV/BEV capable.

No, the question was whether they would upgrade the E-CVT for the new hybrids. He was saying they might continue using it for C2 which would be the lower torque hybrids but not for CD6 which we know will have at least 400 hp.

They’re not going to swap a new transmission into an existing vehicle midstream. They’ll get it when they either get refreshed or get a new platform.

or: the year after [bad habit imho that I wish they'd get over]

C2? Maybe. CD6? Probably not.

I'm under the impression that the electrics are a separate, new architecture ... for plug-ins & BEVs

maybe call it "E1"?

so wonder about just how many [if] C2 &or cD6 vehicles/variants will get the third transmission...

...hmm, starting to almost sound like one transmission PER architecture

?

No, the question was whether they would upgrade the E-CVT for the new hybrids. He was saying they might continue using it for C2 which would be the lower torque hybrids but not for CD6 which we know will have at least 400 hp.

Well thats where the upgrades come in. I think the bones are there to be able to beef it up.

What what I can tell, C2 is primarily going the route of 48V hybrid so eCVT is possible option. But the way 48V system works is probably more likely that these cars will keep the 6F or 8F transmissions.

For CD6, the whole point is the share the drivetrain development cost with F-150 hybrid so Ford wouldn't bother with eCVT. It's going to be the 10 speed auto.

• Like 1