Ford November 2019 Approx. Sales

15 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Gotcha!   What I think is amazing is the large jump the 2.3EB AWD got from 2019 to 2020, even considering the relatively minor gear ratio change.

HRG

Here are the outgoing & incoming gear ratios. What do you make of them?

1 2 3 4 5 6 R Final drive
4.484 2.872 1.842 1.414 1.000 0.742 2.88 2.77, 3.16, 3.39
4.6957 2.9851 2.1462 1.7690 1.5201 1.2700 1.0000 0.8536 0.6892 0.6357

If the assumption is that the bulk of the demand on the powertrain comes at launch, are we looking at a higher tow rating based primarily on the first gear?

Also, I wonder how much those three overdrive gears do to improve highway mileage.

12 minutes ago, RichardJensen said:

If the assumption is that the bulk of the demand on the powertrain comes at launch, are we looking at a higher tow rating based primarily on the first gear?

Also, I wonder how much those three overdrive gears do to improve highway mileage.

I don't know?  The SAE J2807 test protocol that both years used is supposed to be much more comprehensive that just off the line acceleration, maybe the new RWD-based chassis is just that much better?

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

On 12/5/2019 at 4:24 PM, Trader 10 said:

I think Ford’s in trouble with the new Escape. It’s just not a good enough effort in a class with lots of competition. There are a lot of remaining 2019’s even with  $5000 rebates. I don’t think the new model sells anywhere close to the last generation unless big rebates are in place. The new Explorer has jumped a lot in price which may explain the decline there. 

We're finally seeing road tests of the new Escape and I hate to say it, but I was right on point.  Ford blew it.  The 3-cylinder was a misstep - it's buzzy and vibrates harshly.  PLUS, it's way overpriced, considering that all of the competition offers an extra cylinder, often for less money.  Ford had better have a backup plan.  Predicted reliability (Consumer Reports) is also subpar.  I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of November Escape sales were '19s.  The ads for it on TV (the '19) are nearly nonstop.  The 3 cylinder is fine in the Ecosport (we'll soon see them in GM competition), but not in the Escape.  The new Explorer looks too much like the old one and it's launch troubles are fairly well-known.

Edited by CLTEcoBoost

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

maybe the new RWD-based chassis is just that much better?

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

HRG

Maybe? But you'd think that would bump up tow rating across the board.

Of course, if the 2.3 could pass every test except the launch on grade, they wouldn't pass the test...

2 hours ago, RichardJensen said:

It’s not the ratios.  You guys forgot that D4 2.3L was transverse with the 6F50 tranny whereas the 2020 gets the RWD 10R60.

Edited by akirby

2 hours ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

We're finally seeing road tests of the new Escape and I hate to say it, but I was right on point.  Ford blew it.  The 3-cylinder was a misstep - it's buzzy and vibrates harshly.  PLUS, it's way overpriced, considering that all of the competition offers an extra cylinder, often for less money.  Ford had better have a backup plan.  Predicted reliability (Consumer Reports) is also subpar.  I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of November Escape sales were '19s.  The ads for it on TV (the '19) are nearly nonstop.  The 3 cylinder is fine in the Ecosport (we'll soon see them in GM competition), but not in the Escape.  The new Explorer looks too much like the old one and it's launch troubles are fairly well-known.

Aren’t those still pre production units?  I’d wait til we see some owner reviews of actual production models before getting too concerned.  Also - the 1.5 might be slightly down on hp compared to the competition 2.5L but gets the same fuel economy and Escape offers the 2.0Leb that the competition doesn’t have.

3 hours ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

Alright chicken little...

• Like 1

I get that Ford is still building sales momentum with Escape and Explorer, early production strategy is to build

a richer sales mix with a lot more middle and higher trim levels, maybe take the winter to build inventory.

Does anyone know if the 2020 gasoline Super Dutys are in production / being delivered yet, I can't wait

to see the response to the new 7.3 V8, I'm  hoping that it boosts sales and really stretches production.

12 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought the 6f55 only came with the 3.5LEB (which I assume was std on sport and platinum)

Nope, if you opted for the tow package on the NA 3.5, you also got the 6f55.  I had it on my 2011 which the ecoboost 3.5 didnt come out till 2013 for the Explorer.

Edited by blwnsmoke

31 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Nope, if you opted for the tow package on the NA 3.5, you also got the 6f55.  I had it on my 2011 which the ecoboost 3.5 didnt come out till 2013 for the Explorer.

Interesting.  It's only referred to as the "selectshift automatic transmission" in the order guide and no mention of the model number on wikipedia.  Good to know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Does that go for the Flex too? Now I'm curious what transmission mine has. Tow package, AWD. 

Looks like just the normal 6F50 with or without the Tow package on Flex.   At least it doesn't have the same verbiage in the order guide as the Explorer did.  There should be a code or model number on the door jamb.

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

Looks like just the normal 6F50 with or without the Tow package on Flex.   At least it doesn't have the same verbiage in the order guide as the Explorer did.  There should be a code or model number on the door jamb.

Good to know. I'll have to look when I get home from running errands.