Here's Why Our Gleaming Self-Driving Future Has Been Delayed Indefinitely

5 minutes ago, probowler said:

IMO we're far closer to antonymous air taxis than we are self-driving road vehicles.  Hopefully someone at Ford has gotten the message to slap the abort button on this boondoggle.

The technology itself is still useful as a driver aid and accident avoidance.  It’s not wasted.

Thank you for sharing this Autoweek article silvrsvt sir.

"Autoweek attended a great number of these demos in the early part of the decade, and watched as developers and CEOs hedged and carefully promised everything ranging from a revolution in driving in mere years to some form of narrow use of autonomous tech in the far future 

once the legislative framework emerged from the dark ages and allowed for some nationwide uniformity."

Legislative framework for AV in the U.S. today is still in the dark ages, and there's still a long way to go for nationwide uniformity. Still, only 2 other countries (Netherlands and Singapore) scored higher than the U.S. on the KPMG AV Readiness Index last year.

Shareable.jpg

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. The quote about legislative framework was from 2nd paragraph.

But reliable semiautonomous capabilities above Level 3 that could be safely introduced to cars that people could actually buy, irrespective of the regulatory landscape, seemed to hit a wall. 

I read in one forum, either here or The Register (UK IT mag) etc., when a young child sees a beagle, they have a better chance to recognize  a collie as also being a dog compared to computer.

The number of images per objects that could be on the road, and different angles and different actions it can take is just mind boggling. 

The article covers this very well.

I've deal with electronic technology since 1980 and IT/computers since 1993. 

I've seen far too many times when the item was doing something which made me think, "It can't do this", but yet there is was.

Even if they are able to cover all instances mentioned or even 99% of them, something will fail to cause death or injury.

When that unfortunately happens, whose' responsible. 

The one area I'm surprise not so see anything mentioned is the rail system, unless it is being run so tightly, labor wise, removing one more person from the train won't make the difference.

At least with the rail, it' doesn't need to worry to 'keep it between the lines'.

I can't wait when the first delivery drone crashes into a car causing property or injuries, you thought seeing the cancer lawsuit ads are everywhere.

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

AV's might work in Nebraska, but not in he pot-holed, icy, snowy, congested, traffic jammed Northeast.

Ford has been testing AV technology in icy and snowy conditions since 2016. I think it was the first company to do that.

1500081991137.jpg