'23MY S650 mule spied

58 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

Not sure why they're saying that's an unusual brake configuration. Maybe it is for the Mustang, but the DEW-98s used trailing front calipers and leading rear calipers, and they were certainly not AWD.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe GT350 and 350R used the same configuration. Possibly GT500 too, but I haven't examined one of those in person much yet. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe GT350 and 350R used the same configuration. Possibly GT500 too, but I haven't examined one of those in person much yet. 

You'd be correct

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/23/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-suspension-deep-dive/

1_fr_oa.jpg4.jpg

12_rr_oa.jpg1.jpg

I'm guessing the smaller caliper is the parking brake and helps if it has linelocks?

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

You'd be correct

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/23/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-suspension-deep-dive/

1_fr_oa.jpg4.jpg

12_rr_oa.jpg1.jpg

I'm guessing the smaller caliper is the parking brake and helps if it has linelocks?

Now that I'm looking at it, the pics in the mule shots have the brake caliper on the leading edge and the parking brake on the back. This one is reversed. 

10 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Lol at the salute there.

----

Is this an S650 mule or just another special variant one ('22 MY)?  Those are Mach 1 wheels.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Now that I'm looking at it, the pics in the mule shots have the brake caliper on the leading edge and the parking brake on the back. This one is reversed. 

I dunno, it looks like it has the standard brakes that are on the GT and GT350 with an additional caliper for the parking brake? 

From a quick search, only the GT500 has an electronic one now and the rest of the lineup is manual. I guess they are getting upgraded to an electronic parking break in the next gen.

Speaking of that, I need to take a better look at my wife's Escape, since that is my first car with an electric parking brake to see if its similar or not.  

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I dunno, it looks like it has the standard brakes that are on the GT and GT350 with an additional caliper for the parking brake? 

From a quick search, only the GT500 has an electronic one now and the rest of the lineup is manual. I guess they are getting upgraded to an electronic parking break in the next gen.

Speaking of that, I need to take a better look at my wife's Escape, since that is my first car with an electric parking brake to see if its similar or not.  

Your Escape has either the same or very similar electronic system as my Fusion. It's the old school use the inner disc as a drum mechanism but instead of being cable driven to the center console there's an electronic actuator that pulls the cable in the rear end. 

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Lol at the salute there.

----

Is this an S650 mule or just another special variant one ('22 MY)?  Those are Mach 1 wheels.

With regards the salute..............I honestly think Ford want the attention. Why else would they put camo on a stock car? They're not trying to hide changes, because this is just a mule using the current body. The camo actually has the opposite effect here in drawing attention to an otherwise almost stock car. So the fact the driver is "saluting" is a little ironic :)

As for another special variant for '22MY........I doubt it, although it's possible. Those are indeed Mach 1 wheels, specifically they're the Handling Pack wheels which have a more aggressive offset, so I wonder if this is needed to clear the revised brakes.

9 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

With regards the salute..............I honestly think Ford want the attention. Why else would they put camo on a stock car? They're not trying to hide changes, because this is just a mule using the current body. The camo actually has the opposite effect here in drawing attention to an otherwise almost stock car. So the fact the driver is "saluting" is a little ironic :)

As for another special variant for '22MY........I doubt it, although it's possible. Those are indeed Mach 1 wheels, specifically they're the Handling Pack wheels which have a more aggressive offset, so I wonder if this is needed to clear the revised brakes.

Given the amount of camo (stickers only) there's probably only slight revisions to whatever this is. Air intakes and that kind of stuff. Given what we expect to see with body changes for S650 if there's any prototypes out there (I doubt it at the moment) they’re very heavily camouflaged. Vinyl wrapping and padding. The works. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Given the amount of camo (stickers only) there's probably only slight revisions to whatever this is. Air intakes and that kind of stuff. Given what we expect to see with body changes for S650 if there's any prototypes out there (I doubt it at the moment) they’re very heavily camouflaged. Vinyl wrapping and padding. The works. 

That's why I'm leaning toward a variant of the current body rather than a mule for a new one.  Feel like we'd see more changes even if it were just a powertrain mule.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Its most likely an early attribute mule...the wheels look screwed up offset wise (maybe AWD like they said in the article) and maybe new brakes or just a electric parking brake is being tested. The hood looks flatter too, but that might just be the camo. 

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Its most likely an early attribute mule...the wheels look screwed up offset wise (maybe AWD like they said in the article) and maybe new brakes or just a electric parking brake is being tested. The hood looks flatter too, but that might just be the camo. 

Yeah, pretty sure it's just an early mule for S650. The wheels are from the Mach 1 Handling Pack. They have a very aggressive offset that require a small plastic fender lip on the production Mach 1 (they run 305 up front, 315 in the rear).

4 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Yeah, pretty sure it's just an early mule for S650. The wheels are from the Mach 1 Handling Pack. They have a very aggressive offset that require a small plastic fender lip on the production Mach 1 (they run 305 up front, 315 in the rear).

I don't want to be a dick about it but I really believe you’re wrong about this. 

28 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't want to be a dick about it but I really believe you’re wrong about this. 

So what do you think it is then? With only one more model year ('22MY) to go before we expect to see S650, I'm certainly not expecting any special editions or upgrades to S550 for just one year.

34 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

So what do you think it is then? With only one more model year ('22MY) to go before we expect to see S650, I'm certainly not expecting any special editions or upgrades to S550 for just one year.

But aren’t special editions and one off upgrades what Ford does to keep interest in the last year(s) of a model run?  If S650 is model year ‘23, I would expect something a little farther along than what we see here.  

6 hours ago, slemke said:

But aren’t special editions and one off upgrades what Ford does to keep interest in the last year(s) of a model run?  If S650 is model year ‘23, I would expect something a little farther along than what we see here.  

S650 is a 23 model. If you’re looking at recent history of Mustang launches, prototypes won't be out during daylight hours any time soon and they sure as hell won't have that little amount of camo on them. We won't see a prototype out in daylight hours until much closer to the reveal. See also: Bronco. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 3