HotRunrGuy

Tragic accident in California

I'm glad it appears the accident was not the truck driver's fault.  Although I'm sure some will try to blame him anyway.

Yes, they often do. They like the cops get blamed 99% of the time. Another reason for continued border security. Unfortunately the loss of life will only continue to climb with the new administration.

1 hour ago, FossilFuelBurner1 said:

Yes, they often do. They like the cops get blamed 99% of the time. Another reason for continued border security. Unfortunately the loss of life will only continue to climb with the new administration.

It’s possible these were migrant workers not illegals.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s possible these were migrant workers not illegals.

It appears the SUV was filled with people that crossed the border illegally through a hole on the fence. I also read that the middle & rear seats were removed. I guess that's how they fit so many people in it. Very sad situation.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/us/imperial-california-crash-wednesday/index.html

5 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

It appears the SUV was filled with people that crossed the border illegally through a hole on the fence. I also read that the middle & rear seats were removed. I guess that's how they fit so many people in it. Very sad situation.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/us/imperial-california-crash-wednesday/index.html

I knew the seats had been removed. 

So here's a philosphical question - given that nobody was wearing seatbelts and the vehicle was grossly overloaded, even if the trucker had been at fault in the accident should he be charged with vehicular homicide?   Similarly in any crash where the fatality occured primarily due to negligence on the victim's part (not wearing seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, etc.) should the party at fault face charges?   I say absolutely not.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, akirby said:

I knew the seats had been removed. 

So here's a philosphical question - given that nobody was wearing seatbelts and the vehicle was grossly overloaded, even if the trucker had been at fault in the accident should he be charged with vehicular homicide?   Similarly in any crash where the fatality occured primarily due to negligence on the victim's part (not wearing seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, etc.) should the party at fault face charges?   I say absolutely not.

Contributory negligence. It's a balancing test of how much each party's actions contributed to the outcome.

5 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Contributory negligence. It's a balancing test of how much each party's actions contributed to the outcome.

Except I never see mention of contributory negligence on the victim’s part.  It’s always about what the driver did wrong.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Except I never see mention of contributory negligence on the victim’s part.  It’s always about what the driver did wrong.

There's a reason why it's always harder to win when you’re the defendant.

Posted (edited)

I can't understand how people can drive like this. It's unbelievable what side effects can have such a behavior. I think that such driving should be prohibited and sanctioned. We have to live in a safe and peaceful society. I remember that two years ago, a kid was driving very aggressively and hit my car. I was very angry. This case gave me a lot of headaches. But, luckily I worked with a lawyer from rflaw.net. These guys are truly the best, from my point of view. The layer that worked with the insurance company and got the money back in a very short period.

Edited by Ada1mhill