Window tint! Quality? Heat reduction? options?

danielj

46 minutes ago, TheFatInTheHat said:

I asked the guy that usually does my tint about doing the moonroof of my SD and he said he had heard stories of sunroof/moonroofs getting too hot and cracking due to the tint holding more heat in the glass. It could be total BS but he convinced me not to do it and cost himself money so I don't see why he would lie about it.

WOW. I would have never thought about tint causing a window to crack. I wonder why it would crack the sunroof/moonroof but not the side windows. I am going to have to do some research on that one. That will for sure make a difference in deciding to tint the sunroof/moonroof or not. 

Did he say anything about if it made a difference on the % of tint? Maybe sunroof/moonroofs are just so much more work to install and he is so busy he wanted to try and avoid having to do the job. 

Has anyone else experienced a cracked sunroof/moonroof after tinting?

2 hours ago, danielj said:

WOW. I would have never thought about tint causing a window to crack. I wonder why it would crack the sunroof/moonroof but not the side windows. I am going to have to do some research on that one. That will for sure make a difference in deciding to tint the sunroof/moonroof or not. 

Did he say anything about if it made a difference on the % of tint? Maybe sunroof/moonroofs are just so much more work to install and he is so busy he wanted to try and avoid having to do the job. 

Has anyone else experienced a cracked sunroof/moonroof after tinting?

It could very well have been that he just didn't want to do it but he's pretty honest as far as I can tell. I just figured the sun was worse beating straight down on to the top glass instead of the actual windows. ?‍♂️

9 hours ago, TheFatInTheHat said:

It could very well have been that he just didn't want to do it but he's pretty honest as far as I can tell. I just figured the sun was worse beating straight down on to the top glass instead of the actual windows. ?‍♂️

I agree. It is in constant direct light. I am going to look up and see how often it has happened. Very interesting to find out. I will post the results that I find.

• Like 1

I had to go look at that one. I live where the sun is relentless and have every intention to tint the sunroof. I am glad this came up, according to this site it is OK if you use the right tint. It looks like you want to stay away from very dark tints in hotter, sunnier climates.

https://www.teamacme.com/tints/is-sunroof-tinting-safe-learn-all-the-risks-how-to-avoid-them/#:~:text=Tinting the sunroof is an,causing more harm than good.&text=Darker tints retain more heat,in the cooler%2C northern region.

https://garagestpicks.com/best-tint-for-sunroof-biggest-myth-busted/

So I will do a ceramic tint to block the heat I just won't go super dark.

bob

5 hours ago, road turtle said:

Side windows are NOT laminated.  Don't know about sunroof glass.

I think it depends on the manufacturer on whether or not they want to do a laminate on the sunroof. I believe Volvo and Volkswagen are two that do it, there may be more. I am not sure one way or the other with Ford's panoramic roof.

bob

7 hours ago, NWnative said:

15% on driver / passenger. 15% over factory tint. Live in Phoenix so i like to keep it dark. 

Do you have any kind of heat reduction tint? Does it make a big difference? Like going inside the gas station for 10mins and temp change of 10 degrees vs 120 degrees?

6 hours ago, danielj said:

Do you have any kind of heat reduction tint? Does it make a big difference? Like going inside the gas station for 10mins and temp change of 10 degrees vs 120 degrees?

Yes...sorry, failed to mention that. I use 3M Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic on my vehicles. Makes a big difference here in the desert. AC doesn't have to work as hard to keep the interior cool. When you get in your car after it's been parked awhile, you don't burn your hands on the steering wheel or your backside on the seats.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NWnative said:

Yes...sorry, failed to mention that. I use 3M Llumar Pinnacle Ceramic on my vehicles. Makes a big difference here in the desert. AC doesn't have to work as hard to keep the interior cool. When you get in your car after it's been parked awhile, you don't burn your hands on the steering wheel or your backside on the seats.  

That is awesome input! So much appreciated! Do you also do the windshield? 

2 hours ago, danielj said:

That is awesome input! So much appreciated! Do you also do the windshield? 

A lot of people do tint the windshields here but I don’t. With the heat here, a simple chip in the glass will turn to a long crank in minutes. With the likely hood of having to replace the windshield every few years here, i don’t want the hassle / expense of having to get it re-tinted every time i have to replace it. I just use one of those sunshades that go up on the dash and it works fine. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:02 PM, NWnative said:

15% on driver / passenger. 15% over factory tint. Live in Phoenix so i like to keep it dark. 

So you do 15% on the front windows, and then another 15% on the back windows that already have the factory tint? What about the rear window? I live in MS, not quite as hot as Phoenix but we get some pretty serious heat.

14 hours ago, ChuckDiesel said:

So you do 15% on the front windows, and then another 15% on the back windows that already have the factory tint? What about the rear window? I live in MS, not quite as hot as Phoenix but we get some pretty serious heat.

Yes - 15% on all of them. Have 15% on the wife’s CX-9 as well. 35% is legal here on the front windows, can go as dark as we want on the back. I am technically not legal on the front windows however, they don’t bother you much at all here in Phoenix. 13536C28-6DED-4DA4-80DF-CA7F85C8154E.thumb.jpeg.2a8223a76f08995aac529c96a786a754.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NWnative said:

Yes - 15% on all of them. Have 15% on the wife’s CX-9 as well. 35% is legal here on the front windows, can go as dark as we want on the back. I am technically not legal on the front windows however, they don’t bother you much at all here in Phoenix. 13536C28-6DED-4DA4-80DF-CA7F85C8154E.thumb.jpeg.2a8223a76f08995aac529c96a786a754.jpeg

That tint looks awesome. Not sure I want to go that dark though for night visibility. But the way that looks in your truck I might need to find one close by with the same tiny and check visibility. 

Btw... I like the running boards! Looks great! 

• Like 1

I can second the benefit of the nearly clear LLumar ceramic on the windshield.  It makes a huge difference in the south.  I believe I used 85 AIR.  You can barely tell there is any tint but the UV blocking had similar effectiveness to the tint on the windows.  The ceramic UV protection is also good for the life of the dash/interior if you don't park in a garage.

• Thanks 1

I went with LLumar IRX heat-rejecting window tint at 35% light transmission all the way around - on the advice of the installer.  Wish I had gone with 50% on the rear doors/window as it would be less of a mis-match with the front (would still not match though) and would provide more visibility at night.

14 hours ago, NWnative said:

Yes - 15% on all of them. Have 15% on the wife’s CX-9 as well. 35% is legal here on the front windows, can go as dark as we want on the back. I am technically not legal on the front windows however, they don’t bother you much at all here in Phoenix.

Thanks for the info. And great looking truck! What size wheels/tires you got on there and appears to be a leveling kit?

So a question for you tinting experts. Washington State allows a VLT down to 24% on the front side windows, so we can darken them quite a bit. Lets say I darken it to 30% and drive up to the state of Alaska that only allows a VLT down to 70%. Could I get a ticket in that state, or are there exemptions for where you bought the vehicle?

2 hours ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

So a question for you tinting experts. Washington State allows a VLT down to 24% on the front side windows, so we can darken them quite a bit. Lets say I darken it to 30% and drive up to the state of Alaska that only allows a VLT down to 70%. Could I get a ticket in that state, or are there exemptions for where you bought the vehicle?

you could check AK state laws, but in MI, a MI registered vehicle is not permitted any tint on the driver and pass windows, however, other state registered vehicles aren't restricted.  I got into an argument with a state police officer one day, and I pulled the law up to show him that out of state registered vehicles are not subjected to the law.  The look on his face was priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1