MK or Mark

I thought we were supposed to pronounce the Lincoln lineup with Mark instead of MK. Has anyone else seen the new MKZ commercial where they call it an MKZ and not a Mark Z? Now I'm completely confused.

Dealers wanted to call it only M-K, not Mark, so thats what was agreed to.

Dealers wanted to call it only M-K, not Mark, so thats what was agreed to.

Shouldn't they have figured this out before they had any press releases telling people how to pronounce the names of the cars? This seems like the kind of jumbled mismanagement we have come to expect.

This seems like the kind of jumbled mismanagement we have come to expect.

Yes, it does.

At least it's just about name pronunciation. Unlike Martens rather public statement last year that no product development jobs were at risk only a few months before product development people had their positions terminated.

I so badly want to call it "Mark" because Emm Kay Blaah is very clumbsy. I don't think Ford could have picked and more phonemically challenged nomenclature.

Paint them all pink and we could just call them Mary Kay...

Please dear God make Lincoln go back to real names. Even Bob Lutz hates his Cadillacs having alpha letter names...

Watch it now... The Zephyr sales are gonna plummet with the new MKZ name...

An MKT is a mobile Field Kitchen towed behind a Truck in Army speak! :P

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Good one. Fits well with these MKx cars that look like a takeoff from the Chrysler Pacifica. Why anyone would bother, I don't know. Pacifica doesn't exactly light up the horizon. Why one with a Lincoln badge should be any different ... :shrug: who knows.

If the Lincoln LS didn't set the world on fire, and that was a decent car, what makes you think the MKx cars will? Anybody actually think most customers can tell the difference?

Because all those people who bought the Zep because they have fond memories of the last Lincoln Zep are going to stay away, right?

Old Lincoln Zephyr.... Old Mercury Zephyr.. Some may remember and some not.. Doesn't matter because the name Zephyr just by itself is more interesting and memorable and instantly conjures up an association to an object rather than trying to remember a bunch of meaningless alpha-mumeric names.... If people were numbered instead of named do you think you would be able to associate their number with their face? Mention Lincoln MKZ to most people and they will either hav eto think hard which car that is or wont know at all...

Renaming the Zephyr gives Lincoln the opportunity to draw attention to the substantially newer model, even if it looks identical to the Zeph. Name confusion will only get people to think about the Lincoln for more than a few seconds, and that might be positive.

I prefer alpha-numeric nomenclatures, especially for luxury brands which need to establish their 'ladder' to the top of the lineup. It unifies the brand which is VERY important in the premium luxury field. Right now, Lincoln is a hodge-podge of products and customers and it will take years to develop a strong brand equity. This is an important step in the process to get people to think of the brand and not just the individual car.

Edited by Edgey

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Good one. Fits well with these MKx cars that look like a takeoff from the Chrysler Pacifica. Why anyone would bother, I don't know. Pacifica doesn't exactly light up the horizon. Why one with a Lincoln badge should be any different ... :shrug: who knows.

If the Lincoln LS didn't set the world on fire, and that was a decent car, what makes you think the MKx cars will? Anybody actually think most customers can tell the difference?

It looks very similar to the Lexus RX350 and they sell a TON of those. Or at least 100K or so. Regardless of the name, the MKX will sell quite well.

Renaming the Zephyr gives Lincoln the opportunity to draw attention to the substantially newer model, even if it looks identical to the Zeph. Name confusion will only get people to think about the Lincoln for more than a few seconds, and that might be positive.

I prefer alpha-numeric nomenclatures, especially for luxury brands which need to establish their 'ladder' to the top of the lineup. It unifies the brand which is VERY important in the premium luxury field. Right now, Lincoln is a hodge-podge of products and customers and it will take years to develop a strong brand equity. This is an important step in the process to get people to think of the brand and not just the individual car.

You didnt have to get people to think about what brand they were buying in the past... People knew a Continental was a Lincoln... People knew an Eldorado was a Cadillac... So why hasn't the Navigator switched to MKN? Thats because people know it by Navigator and they know it's a Lincoln... What if Ford went to alpha-numeric names for its Mustang just to get people to think Ford first? Doesn't make sense... Luxury brand or not...

You didnt have to get people to think about what brand they were buying in the past... People knew a Continental was a Lincoln... People knew an Eldorado was a Cadillac... So why hasn't the Navigator switched to MKN? Thats because people know it by Navigator and they know it's a Lincoln... What if Ford went to alpha-numeric names for its Mustang just to get people to think Ford first? Doesn't make sense... Luxury brand or not...

It's simple. Caddy did it that way and Ford is pulling a "me too". This new name thing is just plain dumb. The Boston Herald put out an article about the Zephyr being replaced by the v8 MKS in Sept. It is the MKZ that replaces the Zephyr. Not only can't anyone remember the names or get the cars right, but now they created the impression that the Zephyr was a failure, and the Herald claimed that in their article too. Alpha numeric names didn't work for the Lincoln LS. Lincoln must copy Caddy who must copy the German names.

Ford does have an alpha-numeric name. It's just spelled out "Five Hundred". And yes, you have to say "Ford" in front of it like you have to say the brand in front of any alpha numeric name.

Zephyr, Continentail, and even Mark spelled out were rich traditional names, and as I said before Heritage is a great asset when used wisely, Mustang being the best example. Build something that looks new off of your tradition. The Germans have a tridition of naming cars off of letters and numbers, so they can get away with it. The Japanese started with nothing in the Luxury field ,so they could get away with copies of German alpha numeric names. I just want someone in America to stand up and not be ashamed to produce something that's American and not copy everything the foreign companies do.

Edited by atomcat68