New Bronco Sport packages - Black Appearance and Free Wheelin

Both of these are up on build and price now.

I didn’t think ford could make a sport uglier then the heritage, but here there are proving me wrong with this free wheeling package?

The black appearance package dresses up the big bend pretty well although I’d get rid of the hood graphics. 

Any word on the ‘25 model? They need to add a larger screen. Maybe the 12” screen from the ranger would look good. Also I’d still like to see the 2.0 available on other trims besides the badlands. An Outerbanks or the big bend with the black appearance package would be a pretty nice ride with the 2.0.

18 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I didn’t think ford could make a sport uglier then the heritage, but here there are proving me wrong with this free wheeling package

Yeah, going all out on the retro theme doesn't really suit the bronco sport like it does the bronco imo. The BS is just a more forward looking, modern, and refined product, whereas the full size Bronco is the brawnier throwback to previous generations. 

Seeing a Bronco heritage edition makes me go "That's a pretty cool idea" but on the BS it just feels tacky and forced. I would love if Ford used the more youthful BS as a platform to test out future ideas for the bronco. Have one product that leans hard into old school, and another that pushes the limits of where the bronco name could go in the future. Test out more futuristic designs and packages on the BS, see how your audience reacts, and discuss the feasiblity of incorporating these ideas into the larger bronco at a later point. That's what I would do at least. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Both of these are up on build and price now.

I didn’t think ford could make a sport uglier then the heritage, but here there are proving me wrong with this free wheeling package?

Any word on the ‘25 model? They need to add a larger screen. Maybe the 12” screen from the ranger would look good. Also I’d still like to see the 2.0 available on other trims besides the badlands. An Outerbanks or the big bend with the black appearance package would be a pretty nice ride with the 2.0.

The graphics are ok but those red wheel inserts are terrible! 

The BS Heritage looks ok in darker colors-I saw one in grey at my local dealership, but the Robins Egg Blue and Yellow ones are eyesores!

I don't think you'll see the 2L expanded across the lineup due to CAFE, I think adding the hybrid to the BS is more important. 

• Like 1

Maybe cafe has something to do with it like you said. It’s always seemed odd to me that the sporty off-road vehicle would be stuck with such a tiny engine. Even the escape has 3 trims where the 2.0 is offered. So your boring commuter vehicle gets more power than an adventure lifestyle vehicle? That’s never made sense. 

Edited by T-dubz

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Maybe cafe has something to do with it like you said. It’s always seemed odd to me that the sporty off-road vehicle would be stuck with such a tiny engine. Even the escape has 3 trims where the 2.0 is offered. So your boring commuter vehicle gets more power than an adventure lifestyle vehicle? That’s never made sense. 

It may be tiny in size but it puts out roughly 180 hp and torque which is 20 more hp than the old pushrod 4.0L cologne v6 from the old Explorer.  We’ve become spoiled with 250+ hp being commonplace.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

It may be tiny in size but it puts out roughly 180 hp and torque which is 20 more hp than the old pushrod 4.0L cologne v6 from the old Explorer.  We’ve become spoiled with 250+ hp being commonplace.

Driving conditions have changed since then too. Most of my driving is where the speed limit is 80-85 mph which means drivers are going closer to 90-95 mph. I would lose out on any gas mileage benefit from the smaller motor at those speeds and also lose out on the extra power for passing as well. My situation probably isn’t that common, but adding an additional engine has always been a way to appeal to more customers and get more money at the same time. I have no doubt the take rate of the 2.0 would be higher than the free wheeling package.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Driving conditions have changed since then too. Most of my driving is where the speed limit is 80-85 mph which means drivers are going closer to 90-95 mph. I would lose out on any gas mileage benefit from the smaller motor at those speeds and also lose out on the extra power for passing as well. My situation probably isn’t that common, but adding an additional engine has always been a way to appeal to more customers and get more money at the same time. I have no doubt the take rate of the 2.0 would be higher than the free wheeling package.

Well BS is quite a bit smaller than Escape.  Didn’t compare weight though.  Sometimes they limit things like that to reduce the take rate either due to some negative effect on CAFE or due to supply constraints.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Well BS is quite a bit smaller than Escape.  Didn’t compare weight though.  Sometimes they limit things like that to reduce the take rate either due to some negative effect on CAFE or due to supply constraints.

11 hours ago, T-dubz said:

After driving a BS for several thousand miles, as well as our Escape, I found the 1.5L more than adequate.  We also have two performance vehicles and for perspective, I would classify by driving style as aggressive, which I’ll leave at that, and I haven’t been disappointed in the 1.5’s capabilities.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tbone said:

After driving a BS for several thousand miles, as well as our Escape, I found the 1.5L more than adequate.  We also have two performance vehicles and for perspective, I would classify by driving style as aggressive, which I’ll leave at that, and I haven’t been disappointed in the 1.5’s capabilities.  

Same for me with the 2.0 on heavier vehicles (fusion/nautilus).  The immediate torque of the ecoboost gets you going easily.  I much prefer the 2.0l/8spd in our Nautilus to the 3.7/6 spd in the MKX.  You had to really romp on the 3.7L to get it moving.  

They do run out of oomph around 5000 rpm but for everyday driving that’s not a problem.

19 hours ago, akirby said:

The BS is around 5 pounds of the Escape, but I'm not sure if that AWD or FWD Escape. 

On 7/26/2023 at 6:10 AM, silvrsvt said:

The graphics are ok but those red wheel inserts are terrible! 

They're giving me 'nam flashbacks to this abomination. Mechanically speaking, the Boss 302 was great for it's time. But visually, at least in that spec, it looked like a West Coast Customs special. 

2012-2013-boss-302-specs_575f4b27.jpg

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:10 AM, silvrsvt said:

The BS Heritage looks ok in darker colors-I saw one in grey at my local dealership, but the Robins Egg Blue and Yellow ones are eyesores!

I'm generally not a fan of the Bronco Sport's styling, but I saw a heritage edition in Robins Egg Blue in a Meijer parking lot recently and it looked GREAT. It really made it look more like a "real" Bronco and it really stood out among all the cars in the parking lot.

This new stuff though . . . ecch.