President Biden Says All Autoworkers Should Be Unionized

https://fordauthority.com/2023/11/president-biden-says-all-autoworkers-should-be-unionized/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that currently, foreign manufacturers are exporting a lot of autos from their US plants. What happens if they unionize and can no longer compete off shore? Do they move home? It seems to me that domestic unionized  automakers make the bulk of their profits from large ICE vehicles, vehicles which are not sold or manufactured here by foreign transplants in any scale. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that currently, foreign manufacturers are exporting a lot of autos from their US plants. What happens if they unionize and can no longer compete off shore? 

The "if they unionize" part of your question does not support the "and can no longer compete" part. There is no reason that any automaker operating assembly plants in the U.S., whether foreign or domestic, would become uncompetitive for exporting because they employ a unionized workforce. 

35 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

The transplants will just do what the latest UAW contract will lead the domestics to do more of. More auto plants in Mexico.

Or import more.  It’s mind boggling how so many people - especially politicians - just don’t understand simple business economics.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

The transplants will just do what the latest UAW contract will lead the domestics to do more of. More auto plants in Mexico.

The latest UAW contract stipulates numerous commitments by the OEMs for work at their UAW represented auto assembly plants in the U.S., and has nothing to do with "more auto plants in Mexico". Examples from Ford - UAW 2023 contract.

image.thumb.png.c28a377053058bba5dae5a4f76b426d2.png

Edited by rperez817

30 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The latest UAW contract stipulates numerous commitments by the OEMs for work at their UAW represented auto assembly plants in the U.S., and has nothing to do with "more auto plants in Mexico". Examples from Ford - UAW 2023 contract.

image.thumb.png.c28a377053058bba5dae5a4f76b426d2.png

Always take that with a grain of salt. I’ve seen numerous examples over the years where investments were announced for certain plants that were later changed or canceled. Remember when OHAP was supposed to become a BEV hub? Remember when what became Mach-E was supposed to go to Flat Rock? Remember when MAP Mod Center was supposed to become an AV upfitter? Remember when Kentucky Truck was supposed to have a HEV Expedition and Navigator by now? Both of those last 2 were in the 2019 contract and neither happened.  

IMG_3317.jpeg

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Always take that with a grain of salt. I’ve seen numerous examples over the years where investments were announced for certain plants that were later changed or canceled. Remember when OHAP was supposed to become a BEV hub? Remember when what became Mach-E was supposed to go to Flat Rock? Remember when MAP Mod Center was supposed to become an AV upfitter? Remember when Kentucky Truck was supposed to have a HEV Expedition and Navigator by now? Both of those last 2 were in the 2019 contract and neither happened.  

IMG_3317.jpeg

The ultimate decider is always "market forces"

• akirby locked this topic