Stellantis/FCA Q1 2024 Sales Results

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

And 1 Viper lol

I swear that FCA must have a warehouse somewhere that they just plop some of these vehicles in and roll them out occasionally just to mess with the folks that do the sales charts.  I have no idea how they always seem to have a random sale here and there of models that were discontinued 5+ years ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

Why are the Patriot, T&C, Dart, and Alfa 4C all listed if they didn't have any sales this or last year?

...and they sold negative one 200s!

Probably because they have some in dealer inventory still sitting around that no one will touch.  Likely the -1 on the 200 was the last one left and the factory just took it back.  I bet the Viper was carrying an insane dealer markup sitting as a "showpiece" until someone with enough cash decided to finally buy it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Probably because they have some in dealer inventory still sitting around that no one will touch.  Likely the -1 on the 200 was the last one left and the factory just took it back.  I bet the Viper was carrying an insane dealer markup sitting as a "showpiece" until someone with enough cash decided to finally buy it.

I think when this happens with Ford they just sell the vehicle to the dealer at a huge discount to get it off the books.  Maybe @ice-capades can confirm.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I think when this happens with Ford they just sell the vehicle to the dealer at a huge discount to get it off the books.  Maybe @ice-capades can confirm.

In the nearly 35 years I was involved with managing new vehicle inventory, I'd never seen Ford sell vehicles at a discount to dealerships. Dealers make the decision to buy vehicles from Ford and every Dealer pays the same prices. There are no volume or other discounts. There were times when Ford would do some horse trading though by offering allocation for a model in short supply in return for taking some allocation for a less desirable vehicle. However, none of this affected the prices that dealerships paid. The dealership owns the vehicle when they accept delivery from the factory. At that point, the dealership either pays Ford the Dealer Invoice price or the vehicle expense goes on the dealership's floorplan financing account and they pay floorplan interest until the vehicle is reported sold or traded to another dealership. Once the dealership takes delivery it becomes their responsibility to sell it.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anthony said:

Why are the Patriot, T&C, Dart, and Alfa 4C all listed if they didn't have any sales this or last year?

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

Potentially a good future Mecum or Barrett-Jackson auction piece especially if it's stored: "... This was the very last Viper sold in the world!!..."

11 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

In the nearly 35 years I was involved with managing new vehicle inventory, I'd never seen Ford sell vehicles at a discount to dealerships. Dealers make the decision to buy vehicles from Ford and every Dealer pays the same prices. There are no volume or other discounts. There were times when Ford would do some horse trading though by offering allocation for a model in short supply in return for taking some allocation for a less desirable vehicle. However, none of this affected the prices that dealerships paid. The dealership owns the vehicle when they accept delivery from the factory. At that point, the dealership either pays Ford the Dealer Invoice price or the vehicle expense goes on the dealership's floorplan financing account and they pay floorplan interest until the vehicle is reported sold or traded to another dealership. Once the dealership takes delivery it becomes their responsibility to sell it.    

I didn’t word that correctly.  I thought that after a certain amount of time after a vehicle was discontinued if it was still in dealer inventory Ford would do something so that they didn’t have to continue reporting it in the sales data.  You don’t see Ford reporting sales of vehicles that were discontinued 3 years ago.  Or do they just do a better job of getting rid of them.

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

I didn’t word that correctly.  I thought that after a certain amount of time after a vehicle was discontinued if it was still in dealer inventory Ford would do something so that they didn’t have to continue reporting it in the sales data.  You don’t see Ford reporting sales of vehicles that were discontinued 3 years ago.  Or do they just do a better job of getting rid of them.

I don't remember the exact details or timing right now, but at some point, Ford issues a "Final Pay" flat rate payment to Dealers which is the last incentive paid to Dealers directly. As it is at all times that a vehicle is in the Dealer's inventory, it's the Dealer's responsibility to negotiate a price in order to sell the vehicle whether at a profit or loss. The "Final Pay" incentive paid to Dealers is made well after the vehicle is out of production.  

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I don't remember the exact details or timing right now, but at some point, Ford issues a "Final Pay" flat rate payment to Dealers which is the last incentive paid to Dealers directly. As it is at all times that a vehicle is in the Dealer's inventory, it's the Dealer's responsibility to negotiate a price in order to sell the vehicle whether at a profit or loss. The "Final Pay" incentive paid to Dealers is made well after the vehicle is out of production.  

I think that’s the point that Ford reports it as a delivery and no longer carries it in their tracking system.  Apparently Stellantis doesn’t do that.

19 hours ago, Anthony said:

Remember, we're only in Q1 - until they balance out to 0 for the full year, they'll still appear on the list.

To directly answer your question on the units above,

Patriot sold 1 unit last year, vs. 4 in 2022, so it'll remain through the end of this year and next and then go away (unless they find another one)

T&C sold 2 units last year after selling 0 in 2022

Dart Sold 3 last year after selling 4 in 2022

4C Sold 1 unit last year and 1 in 2022

• Like 1