Ford April Sales: All-time Monthly Hybrid Sales Record

Posted (edited)

LOL, all that means is you opinion is as worthless as mine…

but as someone who has actually seen both in the flesh, I do have an advantage…

And yes, I bet the Everest rear body was based on Durango styling exactly because

it was never intended for sale in the USA…

If Bronco sales are just flagging because of high prices, the remedy of incentives takes away

Ford’s reason for making such a premium vehicle in the first place but  26,000 in inventory

doesn’t mean that Ford should panic, and buyers should get ready for a summer with good  

cash incentives or killer buy back leasing deals 

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Some people just don’t understand how much impact price has on sales.  Every $5K you go up in price you reduce the potential buyers considerably just due to affordability.  The surest way to increase sales is to lower the price including rebates.  The opposite is also true.

Ford knows exactly why sales are slow and I’m sure they’re just waiting to see if it rebounds or stays the same and they’ll take action like they did with Mach-e.

Pretty much, this is the challenge ford is facing right now, they want to have healthy profit margins, and to build passion products, but in many respects, the Ford and Lincoln badges don't merit these super high prices. 

Take the mustang for instance. It's the only V8 muscle car in existence. Ford could use that as justification to jack up prices substantially moving forward, but that would significantly weaken than car's appeal to people in my age demographic. I'm getting closer to being able to buy an s650 gt, but if Ford pushes the base price of the gt into the 50s or even 60s, I don't believe I'll be able to justify it. I know a lot of people who feel the same way with many of Ford's other products. 

They probably won't do it, but it would be neat if they started to go the other way with the pricing on their icons like the bronco and mustang, pushing prices back down again. There would be no real need to do that, but it would make their products even more desirable to a wider array of buyers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Pretty much, this is the challenge ford is facing right now, they want to have healthy profit margins, and to build passion products, but in many respects, the Ford and Lincoln badges don't merit these super high prices. 

Take the mustang for instance. It's the only V8 muscle car in existence. Ford could use that as justification to jack up prices substantially moving forward, but that would significantly weaken than car's appeal to people in my age demographic. I'm getting closer to being able to buy an s650 gt, but if Ford pushes the base price of the gt into the 50s or even 60s, I don't believe I'll be able to justify it. I know a lot of people who feel the same way with many of Ford's other products. 

They probably won't do it, but it would be neat if they started to go the other way with the pricing on their icons like the bronco and mustang, pushing prices back down again. There would be no real need to do that, but it would make their products even more desirable to a wider array of buyers. 

The reason that the Mustang is now the only V8 muscle car left is because that buyer group

has reduced to the point where the strongest (corporate support) example survives.

I don’t know that there’s anything extra that could be done save reducing prices to increase sales.

So when it gets to that point, Ford is keeping the Mustang simply as a mark of respect for those

rusted on buyers who want one and also other V8 buyers than have no other choice but Mustang.

Edited by jpd80

Aussie top ten for April, it’s been a long time since Ford had two vehicles in the top ten

which is normally dominated by Toyota and the Korean brands.

The rise in hybrids is also happening here in Australia

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/vfacts-april-2024-record-month-hybrids-and-plug-in-hybrids-surge

Top 10 Brands - 

Toyota 20,771 +72.7%
Ford 8648 +71.3%
Mazda 7301 +5.4%
Kia 6653 +7.3%
Mitsubishi 5314 +19.7%
Hyundai 5185 -9.5%
Isuzu Ute 4256 +46.6%
MG 3781 +9.2%
GWM 3330 +50.3%
Subaru 3246 +29.3%

Top 10 Models - 

Toyota RAV4 5857
Ford Ranger 5569
Toyota HiLux 4693
Ford Everest 2400
Isuzu D-Max 2380
Toyota Corolla 2097
Toyota LandCruiser wagon 1970
Isuzu MU-X 1876
Toyota Camry 1873
Mitsubishi Outlander 1848

SUVs - 55.7%
Light commercial vehicles - 22.0%
Passenger cars - 17.8%
Heavy commercial vehicles - 4.5%

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 9:52 PM, sullynd said:

I’ve only ever bought Fords, but if in the market for a full size SUV I’d have a hard time not going with one of the GM triplets, probably the Denali. 

Same here, although I would only consider the Denali.  I’m hoping the Expy and Nav will be home runs though.  It’s quite ridiculous it is taking so long for their release.  

And now Bronco is charging extra for non grey-scale colors and they do on the Mustang. I guess they'll try anything to improve sales. 🤡

I think there will come a time when some insignificant feature will be decontented or become extra charge, like offering cup holders at additional charge and/or in a High Package, and we reach a tipping point where the market says collectively, "Enough!" And new vehicle sales plummet 50% or more.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

And now Bronco is charging extra for non grey-scale colors and they do on the Mustang. I guess they'll try anything to improve sales. 🤡

I think there will come a time when some insignificant feature will be decontented or become extra charge, like offering cup holders at additional charge and/or in a High Package, and we reach a tipping point where the market says collectively, "Enough!" And new vehicle sales plummet 50% or more.

Reminds me of when airlines started charging customers to check bags. In response, a lot of customers started going with just what they could fit in the overhead bin. Some airlines then started charging for carry-ons too.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Aussie top ten for April, it’s been a long time since Ford had two vehicles in the top ten

which is normally dominated by Toyota and the Korean brands.

The rise in hybrids is also happening here in Australia

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/vfacts-april-2024-record-month-hybrids-and-plug-in-hybrids-surge

Top 10 Brands - 

Toyota 20,771 +72.7%
Ford 8648 +71.3%
Mazda 7301 +5.4%
Kia 6653 +7.3%
Mitsubishi 5314 +19.7%
Hyundai 5185 -9.5%
Isuzu Ute 4256 +46.6%
MG 3781 +9.2%
GWM 3330 +50.3%
Subaru 3246 +29.3%

Top 10 Models - 

Toyota RAV4 5857
Ford Ranger 5569
Toyota HiLux 4693
Ford Everest 2400
Isuzu D-Max 2380
Toyota Corolla 2097
Toyota LandCruiser wagon 1970
Isuzu MU-X 1876
Toyota Camry 1873
Mitsubishi Outlander 1848

SUVs - 55.7%
Light commercial vehicles - 22.0%
Passenger cars - 17.8%
Heavy commercial vehicles - 4.5%

FoA is 2nd best selling brand last month, essentially based on 1 vehicle - a ute - and the SUV version of that ute. They must be rubbing their hands. Dev costs on that platform must have been recouped by now, and with most sales being the higher civilian oriented versions, they must be printing money for FoA... 

On 5/3/2024 at 6:11 PM, jpd80 said:

LOL, all that means is you opinion is as worthless as mine…

but as someone who has actually seen both in the flesh, I do have an advantage…

And yes, I bet the Everest rear body was based on Durango styling exactly because

it was never intended for sale in the USA…

If Bronco sales are just flagging because of high prices, the remedy of incentives takes away

Ford’s reason for making such a premium vehicle in the first place but  26,000 in inventory

doesn’t mean that Ford should panic, and buyers should get ready for a summer with good  

cash incentives or killer buy back leasing deals 

If Toyota can sell the 4Runner, Prado, and GX in North America, then Ford can sell the Bronco and Everest. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

If Toyota can sell the 4Runner, Prado, and GX in North America, then Ford can sell the Bronco and Everest. 

I wouldn’t expect it but considering there’s a change of product emphasis, it’s maybe another remote possibility….

25 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Toyota does not sell the GX, and lumping it in with the other two is a red herring. If Ford brought Everest to NA do you think there wouldn’t be a Lincoln version?  It’s yet to be seen how well Toyota will do with the overlap of the LC and 4Runner. 

The Everest would sell in GTO/G8 numbers. It’s equally dated to those vehicles when they came over. It would need to be redesigned, and would need a whole new interior. The Ranger interior is barely serviceable for a midsize truck, and would not work in what would be a premium SUV. 

Fixed top Bronco is a much better vehicle for NA. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Toyota does not sell the GX, and lumping it in with the other two is a red herring. If Ford brought Everest to NA do you think there wouldn’t be a Lincoln version?  It’s yet to be seen how well Toyota will do with the overlap of the LC and 4Runner. 

The Everest would sell in GTO/G8 numbers. It’s equally dated to those vehicles when they came over. It would need to be redesigned, and would need a whole new interior. The Ranger interior is barely serviceable for a midsize truck, and would not work in what would be a premium SUV. 

Fixed top Bronco is a much better vehicle for NA. 

That earlier Everest was on a different platform and had a Tupperware interior,

there was no T6 Everest until last year, so it’s a share with Ranger, not a premium utility.

In any case, Everest is by all accounts never coming to America

The real issue with Bronco is the high prices that Ford thinks it can charge,

that’s an easy fix if Ford chooses to do so, incentives or good lease deals.

Edited by jpd80

12 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I’m talking about the current Everest. It’s dated, it’s interior is mediocre, and would be even more dated by the time they’d spool it up here. 

The interior is basically the same as the Ranger's, save the changes they made for NA.

Never said the Everest would come as a Lincoln. Just pointing out that there is a ton of overlap between the 4Runner, Prado, and GX in price and features. 

There is of course overlap with the Everest and Bronco...but the Everest would offer 3rd row. 

I just noticed that there’s over 53,000 Explorers in inventory

with just under 44,000 at dealer’s nationwide.

Need some incentives to get sales moving or cut production.

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It may not mean anything, but Ford has been testing 3 Everests on Michigan roads.

Thanks, they do some testing in Michigan as part of global projects,

Im waiting for the press to spot it and run wild with assumptions….