Consumer Reports: Fusion beats Accord, Camry

Blue Oval Staff

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ESS01/611090316

There's your link.

The Fusion is also looking very good in my research, about half the repair rate of the next best domestic I have sufficient data on.

If my research had been as far along a year ago, I would have had this info six months ago. For example, I'm about to release results for the 2007 Dodge Caliber. CR won't have these for another year.

I've got much better methods, and I'm going to be providing more useful data, and all of this data will be free to people who participate.

All I need is more participants. For the details, and to sign up to help out:

http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php

Very impressive for FMC.

We will need to have Pioneer provide us with the definition of a domestic.

Here, let me guess:

"Bububu patriotism, $80 an hour to drive vehicles from the plant to the parking lot is fair pay, (insert 'bububu management' martyr speech here) and that's what the U-A-...err , I mean domestic cars are all about." :drop:

Edited by pcsario

Personally... Just because they pointed this out which is favorable for our camp... doesn't mean I find them one bit credible....

I agree - if CR is not to be trusted when blindly praising Toyota and Honda, my trust in them is not changing, now.

This CR news is still very good news for Ford, as it may begin to sway opinions and influence buying habits of countless sheep. More Ford cars sold at retail is a good thing.

This CR news is still very good news for Ford, as it may begin to sway opinions and influence buying habits of countless sheep. More Ford cars sold at retail is a good thing.

I'll agree only if Ford doesn't pull a Taurus and not get greedy and put product development on the back burner. I truly hope this is a beginning, but I'll have to wait and see.

I'd be glad to!

Domestic: An American based company, headquartered in the United States, building and selling a product in America, to Americans. American subsidiaries of foreign companies do not count.

Do you really mean "America" or "United States of America"? Mexico and Canada are both in America.

Maybe I am biased but I certainly think consumer reports is unbiased.

Why would they be biased and towards whom? They take no advertising $$'s (unlike consumer digest), sponsorship $$'s (unlike npr) so I think it is a stretch to lump them in with other car magazines.

Now I will say that if you could build a durable box that is safe, affordable and gets good gas mileage they would like that.

And let's face it....it is better to be recommended by them as opposed to being on the bottom of their list. Anyone going to the vehicles on the bottom of the list....didn't think so!

The funny thing is the Fusion lost in predicted reliability against the Accord.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...?showtopic=8145

Mixed signals to the public, I guess.

I don't see how it's a mixed signal. If people would actually pay attention and read, the writer indicated V-6 versions of the Accord and Camry not 4 cylinder variants.

It's exactly the same car and in every other variant it beat the Fusion. People will think the problems were related to something else beside the car, and so we're back to the "Honda > Ford" impressions from forever.

The mixed signal comes from the fact on one hand they're implying the Fusion is more reliable than the Accord, and in the next page they imply the opposite.

The Yaris also made the front cover, but it wasn't a winner.

It's still a gain for Ford, but the impact is diminished, it would've been great if they had named the Ford as the best family car instead of a Honda, that's my point. That would've made headlines in the mainstream media.

There's a difference between leaving the impression that the Fusion beat the Accord and the Camry, and the real one, which is more along the lines of "well, at least they improved quality a lot this year".

Edited by pcsario

It's exactly the same car and in every other variant it beat the Fusion. People will think the problems were related to something else besides the car, and so we're back to the "Honda > Ford" impressions from forever.

The mixed signal comes from the fact on one hand they're implying the Fusion is more reliable than the Accord, and in the next page they imply the opposite.

It's still a gain for Ford, but the impact is diminished, it would've been great if they had named the Ford as the best family car instead of a Honda, that's my point. That would've made headlines in the mainstream media.

There's a difference between leaving the impression that the Fusion beat the Accord and the Camry, and the real one, which is more along the lines of "well, at least they improved quality a lot this year".

Well if Ford's marketing arm were smart, they would play on where the Fusion beat out the competition and play on that idea.

Then again Ford and marketing don't go together, so we end up right back at square one. Which now I see what you are getting at.

It's exactly the same car and in every other variant it beat the Fusion. People will think the problems were related to something else beside the car, and so we're back to the "Honda > Ford" impressions from forever.

It definitely beat the Camry (all models), and the difference between the Fusion and the Accord is miniscule. That's quite a feat for a brand new vehicle that's only a year old.

Well if Ford's marketing arm were smart, they would play on where the Fusion beat out the competition and play on that idea.

Then again Ford and marketing don't go together, so we end up right back at square one. Which now I see what you are getting at.

consumer reports does not allow it's name to be used in any advertising for any product. That is why you will hear "a leading consumer magazine."

If any thing it shows that the mexican's sure can build some damn good cars!! They also build the tahoe's, subarban's as well.

I give detroit credit because it shows with their new products they are at least getting the quality right.

consumer reports does not allow it's name to be used in any advertising for any product. That is why you will hear "a leading consumer magazine."

If any thing it shows that the mexican's sure can build some damn good cars!! They also build the tahoe's, subarban's as well.

I give detroit credit because it shows with their new products they are at least getting the quality right.

Well magazine or source aside, marketing will probably miss out on the accolades this vehicle has received.

Every vehicle I've owned has tracked CR reported reliability. What other owners have flagged as issues have been issues with my cars.

I don't put much stock in CR's predicted reliability, as they are too inclined to give manufacturers credit for past performance, and I certainly don't put much stock in their comparison tests (which is where they get their ultra snide voices out, and--like Car and Driver--clothe personal opinion in fancy statistics).

But if CR owners say that this or that is an issue with a particular vehicle, odds are it will be. BTW, my Dad is a subscriber, and has owned nothing but Fords, and would not consider otherwise.