First Drive: 2007 Lincoln MKX (edmunds.com)

pcsario

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=117443

With a roughly equal level of standard equipment, the Lincoln MKX's base price (front-drive: $34,795; all-wheel drive: $36,445) undercuts the RX 350's by about $3,000. We're not sure that's enough of a cut to lure buyers away from a vehicle with a reputation for excellence built over the course of a decade. Our heavily optioned all-wheel-drive tester listed for a not insubstantial $44,270, including destination.

Forget for a moment the benchmark and consider the Ford Edge, which in SEL Plus trim provides the same package, the same excellent powertrain and most of the same standard equipment for about $5,000 less than the 2007 Lincoln MKX.

We prefer the bars.

:reading:

Well, it's a start. Clearly these cars need to go back to the drawing board for some improvements. Still, I don't think Ford will have a hard time satisfying customers and maintaining a sustainable sales volume.

And I still don't understand what vehicle they are comparing the Edge to. They liked the Edge better than the Nissan Murano, but claim it's not competitive. I don't get it! If the customer is better off looking at the competition, what would they be looking at?

I just read another very negative review of the Edge in the latest issues of Automobile magazine, essentially panning it as a bad example of 'business as usual' at Ford.

All of the negative reviews will do SOME harm, but not much. At least if sales are not blockbuster, then maybe those of us looking for one with rebates will finally get one :).

The major complaints seem to revolve around the interior design, handling, steering, breaking, and rear seat comfort. Almost everybody likes the drive train and styling. I was surprised to hear comments about the lack of an on-center feel in the steering.

Edited by Edgey

[

I just read another very negative review of the Edge in the latest issues of Automobile magazine, essentially panning it as a bad example of 'business as usual' at Ford.

Keep in mind, Automobile is run by a woman who thought Jac the Knife was the greatest and was screwed by Ford. So much for Automobile's credibility!

[

Keep in mind, Automobile is run by a woman who thought Jac the Knife was the greatest and was screwed by Ford. So much for Automobile's credibility!

The article was dreadful. There was a line in the article about "Ford is barely in business at all"...yeah! Thank you Automobile but I will not be renewing my subscription.

Well, it's a start. Clearly these cars need to go back to the drawing board for some improvements. Still, I don't think Ford will have a hard time satisfying customers and maintaining a sustainable sales volume.

And I still don't understand what vehicle they are comparing the Edge to. They liked the Edge better than the Nissan Murano, but claim it's not competitive. I don't get it! If the customer is better off looking at the competition, what would they be looking at?

All of the negative reviews will do SOME harm, but not much. At least if sales are not blockbuster, then maybe those of us looking for one with rebates will finally get one :).

The major complaints seem to revolve around the interior design, handling, steering, breaking, and rear seat comfort. Almost everybody likes the drive train and styling. I was surprised to hear comments about the lack of an on-center feel in the steering.

Aren't most of these reviews being done with pre-production models? This is an all new vehicle, new engine, new tranny, etc. It's bound to have a few bugs initially. I'm withholding judgment until it's been out a few months first.

Aren't most of these reviews being done with pre-production models? This is an all new vehicle, new engine, new tranny, etc. It's bound to have a few bugs initially. I'm withholding judgment until it's been out a few months first.

Without defending nay first-year bugs - these are pre-production prototypes - Ford said that they did 100's of changes in the vehicles AFTER the media fleet was built ..

that s why Edmunds usually runs 2 tests .. and smartly so.

Igor

From the edmunds.com article:

Where the Lincoln really lags behind Lexus is in perceived quality. The dual-pod design of the MKX's instrument panel is handsome enough, but the materials from which it is assembled are not top-notch. The "satin-nickel-look" trim, for example, looks less like satin-finished nickel than it does like plastic painted the color of nickel. The lack of headliner-mounted grab handles is also a silly omission. It appears as if the company chose an awfully obvious place to save a few bucks.

I thoroughly agree with the above. Check out the flat silver-painted center console of the MKX vs. the RX350's angled wood/silver/black center console. Check it out here:

20027917-E.jpg

Overall the article was fairly nice, honest about the MKX's strengths and weaknesses. Braking, weight, and, of course, pricing. It's fairly obvious that the MKX is going to compete against the RX350 and others based on price. $3000 is significant, but I don't know if it's enough at this level. Maybe $5-6000 difference would be more convincing.

But no matter what the MKX beats Lincoln's current crossover entry: nothing. It's a step in the right direction. Let's hope Ford is listening and is prepared to fix what is needed to make the MKX more competitive.

Scott

Maybe it was the way you said it that just cracked me up...."the major complaints seem to revolve around the interior design, handling, steering, breaking, and rear seat comfort."

Those are some major shortcomings that's for sure-more than enough to damage a vehicle before it even launches. I guess they are not going to be quoting any magazines in their advertising that's for sure!

Of all the things they are complaining about (and I happen to agree-plus a few other's-smart key, etc.) the one I am most disappointed about is braking. That is one of those over looked stats that mean a hell of a lot in the real world-60mph stops should be no more than 120'-125'-max. With distances approaching 160' this is totally unacceptable.

I am not an engineer but I can tell you that the extra 26' in stopping distance will not only result in a vehicle getting totalled out but someone possibly severely injured.

Maybe ford needs to look into this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/10/ebrakin...ng-distance-50/

I hate being a monday morning quarterbacking but the question will be is should they of waited one-two years and got all of these things corrected along with unique sheetmetal?

Edited by kyle

First of all, Lincoln really needs to come off of showing that light colored interior at every single press event (as well as their website). It does the vehicle no justice.

It amuses me how edmunds lauds the Lexus' interior, because as far as I'm concerned it looks no better and I HIGHLY doubt the interior refinement is any better than that of the Lincoln's.

e3_4.JPG

Not to mention the fact that the interior is essentially an updated carry over version from when the car made its debut. Which was full of plasti-wood, and wasn't all that luxurious. Things I highly doubt the press questioned at the time.

WOW, I just realized that either of the RXs pictured have a manumatic.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

A few things are evident:

1. The MKX needs that 3.7 motor ASAFP.

2. The brakes in both could use attention.

3. Going into 2009, Ford needs to spend some money in the sheetmetal department, and differentiate these two more.

Especially one and two from your post are the most significant.

The Lexus RX doesn't et bashed so much for basically being a Highlander because Toyota invested in sompletely unique sheetmetal and different powertrains. Ford didn't, change those and the MKX can start to move away from being a gussied up Ford as it is now.

I dont subscribe, or rarely buy, the big 4 'buff books' anymore since the internet became more common.

Agreed. The "Big Four" buff books are just that, books that cater to the so-called enthusiast.

In reality, the most important car magazine out there is Consumers Reports. When America goes car shopping, they grab a copy of Consumers Reports, not MT, C&D, R&T or Automobile.

First of all, Lincoln really needs to come off of showing that light colored interior at every single press event (as well as their website). It does the vehicle no justice.

It amuses me how edmunds lauds the Lexus' interior, because as far as I'm concerned it looks no better and I HIGHLY doubt the interior refinement is any better than that of the Lincoln's.

e3_4.JPG

Not to mention the fact that the interior is essentially an updated carry over version from when the car made its debut. Which was full of plasti-wood, and wasn't all that luxurious. Things I highly doubt the press questioned at the time.

WOW, I just realized that either of the RXs pictured have a manumatic.

I need to get what ever drugs you are on.....if you don't think the lexus interior uses better quality materials and design originality....I don't know what to say. I HIGHLY doubt I am the only one who feels that way. This to me is the mentality of why ford struggles.....some of you guys are not realistic.

Let me turn the tables....I think the 150 is vastly superior to the tundra-not even in the same ballpark....now do you agree with that or feel that the tundra is just as good?

Edited by kyle

That Lexus dash is, IMO, ugly. I am no fan of the Mazda dashes either, or any of the "toilet paper tubes around gauges" dashboards. The odd metallic finish/black plastic "V" that divides the HVAC and stereo controls into thirds is also design that bucks functionality, and I don't know what's up with putting the shifter in a hole like that.

Besides, let's not forget, Ford will be thrilled if the MKX sells at 1/3rd the rate of the RX.

I need to get what ever drugs you are on.....if you don't think the lexus interior uses better quality materials and design originality....I don't know what to say. I HIGHLY doubt I am the only one who feels that way. This to me is the mentality of why ford struggles.....some of you guys are not realistic.

Let me turn the tables....I think the 150 is vastly superior to the tundra-not even in the same ballpark....now do you agree with that or feel that the tundra is just as good?

It's not being realistic, it's just a matter of different tastes. I happen to like the MKX interior much better than the Lexus. I think it is worth the additional price over the Edge interior also. I don't have Ford blinders on. I just happen to like some of the Lincoln interiors. I find the Lexus too busy.

It's not being realistic, it's just a matter of different tastes. I happen to like the MKX interior much better than the Lexus. I think it is worth the additional price over the Edge interior also. I don't have Ford blinders on. I just happen to like some of the Lincoln interiors. I find the Lexus too busy.

I agree, and in the case of ones "opinion", it only matters if you are actually going to buy one of the vehicals mentioned here -I have a White Choclate MKX on order - IMO the MKX simply outclasses the Lexus RX. No apoliogies needed regardles of differing "opinions". I am not arrogant, only partial to FoMoCo and it does not bother me a bit to be an underdog - I doubt mind proving people wrong.

Here is a review that "gets it" http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...183.A11078.html

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I agree, and in the case of ones "opinion", it only matters if you are actually going to buy one of the vehicals mentioned here -I have a White Choclate MKX on order - IMO the MKX simply outclasses the Lexus RX. No apoliogies needed regardles of differing "opinions". I am not arrogant, only partial to FoMoCo and it does not bother me a bit to be an underdog - I doubt mind proving people wrong.

Here is a review that "gets it" http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...183.A11078.html

Why don't they complain about (or even mention) that the Lexus doesn't have a manumatic either?

Yeah, what exactly screams better quality in that picture? The silver painted buttons? The plastichrome rings around the gauges?

I tell you what I'll give you some of my drugs if you give me some of yours, because there is nothing about that interior that makes me want to buy it over an MKX. The RX has its merits, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that the interior is leaps and bounds over anything in this class.

the reason why we don't have to complain that it does not have a maual shifter is numerous.

1. they are the undisputed leader-from the dealership experience to the residual value of the vehicle.

2. their target maret is slanted more towards the female buyer-is that what lincoln is going after-NO.

3. It has so many more features that the lincoln does not even offer. From the information system on the vehicle to the auto down/up windows for all 4 doors to the one pass key (or whatever it is called)-

If ford wants people to migrate towards their product they have to do a better job than the competition-not good enough-not almost-i just don't like excuses.

If you don't care for the design-fine-it is personal-but you can't say it uses better materials and is not designed well.

Don't get me wrong....I like the lincoln-I just would purchase the edge for 10k less. When you go over the $45k price there are no excuses-none! Especially if you are the guy who is trying to get to the front.

And for the guy who is purchasing the mkx-i am going to go out on a limb here...but do you have a xplan discount or affilated with ford?

Heh-I hope I am wrong-but as the saying goes.....where there is smoke there is fire...by that if only one magazine or critic called them out on it...so be it...but it is getting to sound like a wave of critics.

Just imagine if every magazine wrote articles of praise and it was by far the new benchmark in the segment....that should be there goal.

It all comes down to personal preference. I have driven the RL, MDX, TSX, and sat in the RX. They all have really nice leather seats and steering wheel controls. The door switches feel more substantial and the two tone dash boards and faux wood trim are a really nice touch.

But as I said, it all comes down to personal preference. The one thing Ford needs to address though is the massive weight of these vehicles. Towing 600 lbs more than the competition will leave it last in class where it counts: fuel economy and performance.

That heavy sunroof has got to make a significant difference in the fuel economy of the vehicle. I wonder what model the MPG is based on. I know some of the rags have complained that fuel economy is around 15MPG, which is probably the fully loaded model.

That would not happen, and that should not be their goal.

If they buiilt the best vehicle then the accolades will come....including the magazine reviews.

And I dare ask why in the world would you spend the extra $$ on the lincoln when you can get an almost identical vehicle in the edge?

How many of you have sat in the lexus-maybe even driven it? I hate to give them credit but you have to wonder why they have features that the lincoln should have.

It is the same if you jump in a bmw or mercedes or a cadillac or infiniti....the design is more engaging and they have more features. Come on guys....I am not comparing an edge with this group...but if the lincoln is $45 you cannot tell me with a straight face that it is in that class....

As I have said many times....I like the lincoln-think the grill works great on that vehicle..but it is a half ass job. You don't get than many times ot launch a vehicle and get favorable press....trust me they would much rather have positive reviews....and if I am so naive...why do you think that they keep promising that the upcoming vehicle will differ more from their ford counterpart?

and again I continue to argue the position that this is why ford continues to struggle (and I know I am not the only one!) their vehicles are built with to many compromies in them.

Exactly what drugs was this reviewer on when he drove the Emm Kay Exx? Here's his description of the exterior:

"The MKX is one of the most gracefully styled Lincolns in a decade. It's tastefully rendered, with a genuinely attractive exterior shape set off by Lincoln's waterfall grille up front ..."

WHAT? Sorry, Erik, put the bifocals back on. Unfortunately u were dreaming the thing has a waterfall grille, as I am. Instead it has a horribly ugly eggcrate thing stolen from the AMC Spirit of the mid 70s. Blech. The Edge is much more attractive from the front. THe Lincoln has a much nicer rear treatment.

And though he noticed no manumatic, he didn't mention the trademark Ford "Drivers NOT wanted" D-L shifter. I've always been partial to Fomoco, but nomo. They ned homeruns and they're trying to get by with infield singles. As MT said in it's Edge review "After driving the Edge, we're not optimistic about Ford's future." Neither am I, sorry to say as an owner of 2 Lincolns and 2 Fords.