It's a Colorado! It's a Dakota...No it's...

JLaudioF150

What the hell was Chevy thinking???

I've seen 2 on the road. God, I am almost going to say it's uglier than the first batch of Avalanches that hit the street (with all the cladding). I will say that the two silverados were the plain, 4x2 extended cabs. But man, UUUUUGGGGLLYYYY. To me, now the new Avalanche looks better than the Silverado.

Maybe the GMC Sierra looks better in person. Too bad for the General. Even after a redesign, their all new trucks look whimpier than the Titan and Ford and AND the new Tundra (which I also saw in person at the Toyota Center here in Houston).

What the hell was Chevy thinking???

I've seen 2 on the road. God, I am almost going to say it's uglier than the first batch of Avalanches that hit the street (with all the cladding). I will say that the two silverados were the plain, 4x2 extended cabs. But man, UUUUUGGGGLLYYYY. To me, now the new Avalanche looks better than the Silverado.

Maybe the GMC Sierra looks better in person. Too bad for the General. Even after a redesign, their all new trucks look whimpier than the Titan and Ford and AND the new Tundra (which I also saw in person at the Toyota Center here in Houston).

It's going to sell well, but I agree the looks leave much to be desired on the outside (interiors look nice, though). I don't like the huge front bumper and the worst component to me are those goofy wheel-well flares. Does have that Dakota-type look to it. Also it has a softer look than either the Ram or F-Series. We'll see how it's accepted in the long run, right now I'm sure sales are up just because the GM faithful have been waiting to get their hands on their next truck, similar to how Ford sells a ton of trucks the first months every time they're redesigned as well.

I have to say that, this is the first Chevy/GM truck generation that I think looks truly modern. While I'm by far not a fan of the design, it does speak an up to date design language IMHO. It still looks more evolutionary than Ford's more revolutionary design philosophy (where the 97 looked almost nothing like the 96 back models, and the 04 looks much different than the 03.

I saw one behind me today, in black... sort of chuckled, it had this gleaming wide smile look to it, non-intimidating type of look. Sort of like Gary Coleman looking at me thru the rear-view mirror.

Really don't find anything butch about it, if anything, it's kinda bland, softer...like something Honda would make.

I just saw a couple of loaded Silverados and honestly, these things look like all of the worst of the '73-'87 style in an updated package. I think this truck will go down in the "What the hell were we thinking" Hall of Fame. Compared to the F-150, these trucks look bland and unrefined. They almost make the Dodge look good (almost). Ford needs to bat a line drive with the F-150 now and really put the General behind the 8-ball. The GMC is slightly better looking, but when you start with the Silverado you have nowhere to go but up. It's sad too because their last pickup, aside from being of mediocre reliability and build quality was actually a nice truck.

If you want to see the world's ugliest truck, check out the new Super Duty! The Chevy is gorgeous in comparison.

Along with the Honda and Acura concepts of recent, the Super Duty has one of the ugliest faces I have ever seen. Those vehicles make an Aztek look pretty...

I just saw a couple of loaded Silverados and honestly, these things look like all of the worst of the '73-'87 style in an updated package. I think this truck will go down in the "What the hell were we thinking" Hall of Fame. Compared to the F-150, these trucks look bland and unrefined. They almost make the Dodge look good (almost). Ford needs to bat a line drive with the F-150 now and really put the General behind the 8-ball. The GMC is slightly better looking, but when you start with the Silverado you have nowhere to go but up. It's sad too because their last pickup, aside from being of mediocre reliability and build quality was actually a nice truck.

My first reaction was they looked like the 1987 models before they were restyled in 88... So is Chevy doing retro or treating it like a mistake and picking up design as an evolution where it left off in 1987?..

Obviously styling is subjective, but I have to agree the front clip of the Tahoe & Avalanche is much better than the gaping mouth of the Silverado. The F-150 remains the styling benchmark of the full-size class: stylish, conservative, powerful, and handsome - just what a pickup truck should be. Let Dodge, Nissan, & Toyota try their hand at "powerful" design by cartoonishly overstyling their trucks. The F-150 just keeps on rolling.

Scott

I have yet to hear anyone mention how the new GMC Sierra looks like it could be a Ford product. Overall impression of the Sierra's exterior for me is that of imitation Ford.

In a market like that of full-size trucks...where polarizing designs have been norm for the past decade. The GMC looks way too much like a Ford.

Go ahead and take a look....what do you think?

2008 GMC Sierra

I have yet to hear anyone mention how the new GMC Sierra looks like it could be a Ford product. Overall impression of the Sierra's exterior for me is that of imitation Ford.

In a market like that of full-size trucks...where polarizing designs have been norm for the past decade. The GMC looks way too much like a Ford.

Go ahead and take a look....what do you think?

2008 GMC Sierra

I said the same thing first time someone posted pictures here of the GMC. Just remove the GMC badge from the grill and you could pass it off as a Ford. After covering "GMC" on the grill, my wife thought it was an F-250 when she looked at a picture of one.

I said the same thing first time someone posted pictures here of the GMC. Just remove the GMC badge from the grill and you could pass it off as a Ford. After covering "GMC" on the grill, my wife thought it was an F-250 when she looked at a picture of one.

I saw a GMC Sierra commercial. I think it looks AWESOME!

The F-150 remains the styling benchmark of the full-size class: stylish, conservative, powerful, and handsome - just what a pickup truck should be. Let Dodge, Nissan, & Toyota try their hand at "powerful" design by cartoonishly overstyling their trucks.

Scott

Agreed! Exactly correct.

When I first saw the P221 F-150 in June of '03 I thought they really got it right "Grand Slam!"

I notice a lot of people think that Ford might be in trouble because of the new Silverado/Sierra twins and the new Toyota Tundra, but it seems to me the company that should really be worried is DCX. Although the Ram has never been nearly as popular as the GM and Ford pickups it is still an important product to them. Their last redesign was in 2002 and received a very minor facelift since then. There are all new products from GM and Toyota and a significantly re-designed Ford Super Duty either here or on the way. Ford is already saying that the F-150 which was last completely re-designed in 2004 will be updated again soon. (2008?)

My question is when is the all new Ram truck coming out? It seems like they better have a significantly redesigned model ready to go for 2008 or they are going to see their market-share shrink back to pre-1994 levels. Of course, as far as the pre-1994 Rams were concerned I always wonder how they could sell any of those ugly, poorly built trucks (other then the Cummings model).

• 2 weeks later...
Careful now, the new Super-Duty is the most cartoonish truck design to come out yet.

I said F-150, like the one I own.

I liked my '03 Super Duty front better than the current design and a lot better than the pictures of the next SD. I was one of the ones attacking the look of the new SD and I wanted a production version of the great looking style of the Super Chief show truck. The next SD is just a major refresh on what is now a 9-year old truck, hopefully it is just to buy time until an all-new Super Chief style truck is ready.