2008 Freestyle Spy Pic

range

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About what I expected. Ideally, I would have liked the Freestyle to look more like a station wagon version of the Five Hundred, but that would have required changing the profile. The news here will be the new powertrain - and that alone is significant. If I were Ford the biggist simple change I'd make is make the lower range models monochromatic. And add chrome door handles take off the roof rails. That would differentiate 'em even more from the Explorer, and look cleaner and tougher especially with the new grill's emphasis on chrome.

Edited by Jazzhead

About what I expected. Ideally, I would have liked the Freestyle to look more like a station wagon version of the Five Hundred, but that would have required changing the profile. The news here will be the new powertrain - and that alone is significant. If I were Ford the biggist simple change I'd make is make the lower range models monochromatic. And add chrome door handles take off the roof rails. That would differentiate 'em even more from the Explorer, and look cleaner and tougher especially with the new grill's emphasis on chrome.

Yes, its exactly what I was expecting.

It should also come with the more than 500 improvements that the Five Hundred is getting too. Not just the new 260hp engine and 6 speed auto, but Advance Trac, less road noise, less wind noise, revised shock towers that increase front suspension travel, the new dampers and springs in both front and rear, and the revised, retuned rear suspension, the new engine mounting , and of course Sync.

Does anybody know if the 08 Freestyle will match or exceed the Edge's towing capacity? I would like to get a 08 Freestyle (since it will have 260+ HP, 6 speed auto, AWD, etc.), but I would like to use it to tow a 2000 to 3000 pound boat back and forth to the lake. If it can do that, then I will (finally) have something to replace my excellent 01 Expedition.

Does anybody know if the 08 Freestyle will match or exceed the Edge's towing capacity? I would like to get a 08 Freestyle (since it will have 260+ HP, 6 speed auto, AWD, etc.), but I would like to use it to tow a 2000 to 3000 pound boat back and forth to the lake. If it can do that, then I will (finally) have something to replace my excellent 01 Expedition.

Wife had an 01, 03, and 04 expedition. Fav was the 01. Now have an 05 Freestyle, keep your 01 Expedition. I have the limited awd CVT, only getting 18-20mpg, my 01 Expedition was only a few less, it was an Eddie Baure, (probably spelled it wrong) loaded. Don't get me wrong, it's a good car, eats tires though. Warranted at 25k, heard the awd eats them up in the rear, I can vouch for that. I suspect a major power increase with the new motor and trans but bet mpg will be close to same.

Edited by kalu

Why does Ford now not even try to put a design emphasis on the front lower fascia?

The 2008 Freestyle, 500 and Focus all the same exact lower fascia, big empty space with a few millimeter thick vertical lines.

ford-five-hundred---4.jpg

ford-focus---15.jpg

WTF is wrong with their designers? Seriously are thy just that unbelievably terrible? Horbury should be nothing short of disgrace for allowing this to happen on all three models.

If it would ahve gotten the Explorer's grill treatment, it would have been rediculed for "trying" to be an SUV...

If the Five Hundred got the Explorer grille treatment people would be laughing in ridicule that it looks MORE like a VW Passat...

Anyway, the three bar grille theme has been bastardized to the point it's ridiculous now. I can't wait to see it eventually go.

Headlamp designs of late have been disappointing. They just look like back in the 1980's when they quickly converted old rectangular sealed beams into flush aero units.

Th only saving grace is that the Mustang is spared of it... Right now at least...

Why does Ford have to work in trademark grilles? Don't the designers have enough imagination to come up with something unique, instead of grafting on the same look on every product?

Brand Identity...Ford has had a similar grill front end for all is products since the T-bird in 1982...25 years ago!

I'll answer your question with another.

Why are the two main reasons given for the 500/Freestyle slow sales numbers? One was fixed with the new motor, the other wasn't with a new grille.

I don't think the styling hurt the Freestyle near as much as it hurt the FiveHundred. Lack of advertising for the Freestyle and people confusing it with the Freestar is what hurt it the most. A vehicle with Explorer like room & comfort, available AWD, Volvo safety and gas mileage in the high 20's should have sold like hotcakes. Problem is, this vehicle was not on anybody's radar because most people didn't even know that it existed. Those that did know about and liked it (like myself) were probably going to wait for the new engine/tranny before purchasing.

I believe that once the 08 starts hitting the showrooms & if it gets advertised properly, it will sell well. Especially since the Freestar will be gone. It may even outsell the Explorer. I also believe the new engine/tranny combo and updated front/rear will help the Freestyle much more then it will help the FiveHundred.

Looks good. Bland styling never killed Toyota! Explorer will be more masculine than it is today. Once the 3.5/6-speed get's into all of these I think they should bring back the "Have you driven a Ford, lately?" campaign.

yeah, but most customers will be asking dealers...."Have you SOLD a Ford, lately?"

I'll answer your question with another.

Why are the two main reasons given for the 500/Freestyle slow sales numbers? One was fixed with the new motor, the other wasn't with a new grille.

Allow me to add a two-pronged addition to the slow sales reasoning.

1. No advertising for the Five Hundred after...what...4 months? 6? New nameplate + no ads = slow sales.

2. BAD advertising for the Freestyle. The divorced couple and kids? Too real for too many of us. The car barely showed up...a mind-numbingly bad ad campaign.

The styling was/is an issue, though the vehicle packaging (which I like, but I like wagons) limits how much can be accomplished. The new nose isn't going to be a world-changer, but the Freestyle's space and forthcoming power are both very good...maybe good enough to reverse some fortunes.

Provided a different ad approach is used, anyway.

There are alot of vehicles that are not advertised and yet sell well. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for a chevy impala but that did not hurt it from being the best selling car besides the camry and accord.

The pilot and odyssey are not advertised in my area. Can't say I have seen an ad for the corolla or toyota matrix either.

Point being if the car is good.....people will come. If the car is not.....people will not come no matter how much advertising is done.

Don't you think ford knew that it would be a point of diminishing return on every advertising $ spent on some of these products and decided it would not be worth it? I have to think that they are at least that competent. USA today has an ad track survey every week.....I read most of them.....and in almost every one of these reviews are quotes "our internal tracking of these ads show they are working."

I have never heard someone say they are not....even when usatoday is telling them that nobody gets what the hell you are selling.

Point being if someone like's your product they almost always like the ads....and vice versa.

Edited by kyle

There are alot of vehicles that are not advertised and yet sell well. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for a chevy impala but that did not hurt it from being the best selling car besides the camry and accord.

The pilot and odyssey are not advertised in my area. Can't say I have seen an ad for the corolla or toyota matrix either.

Point being if the car is good.....people will come. If the car is not.....people will not come no matter how much advertising is done.

Don't you think ford knew that it would be a point of diminishing return on every advertising $ spent on some of these products and decided it would not be worth it? I have to think that they are at least that competent. USA today has an ad track survey every week.....I read most of them.....and in almost every one of these reviews are quotes "our internal tracking of these ads show they are working."

I have never heard someone say they are not....even when usatoday is telling them that nobody gets what the hell you are selling.

Point being if someone like's your product they almost always like the ads....and vice versa.

Here's a consideration you're not addressing...is Impala a brand new name? NO...and more than half of its sales went to fleets (54%, courtesy of R.L. Polk). The Malibu was 60% fllet sales.

People didn't come, businesses did...and the resale on those vehicles will thusly be in the toilet.

The Odyssey isn't a new name, nor is Corolla, Camry, Accord...seeing a pattern here?

The Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Montego were new cars with names eith brand new or over 20 years out of service. The people won't come if they have no idea what "Five Hundred" symbolizes, or didn't see the few commercials that WERE run.

The quality numbers and the value are obvious on the D3 cars. 8 seconds to 60 is better performance than 90% of the normal car-buying public cares about, and the ride/handling is quite good.

It outscores the Avalon on Edmund's...but too few know it exists.

Edited by ZanatWork

The Odyssey isn't a new name, nor is Corolla, Camry, Accord...seeing a pattern here?

The Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Montego were new cars with names eith brand new or over 20 years out of service. The people won't come if they have no idea what "Five Hundred" symbolizes, or didn't see the few commercials that WERE run.

LOL... did Nissan advertise the Murano 24/7 Zan?

Caliber?

Liberty?

CTS?

PT Cruiser?

Do I need to go on?

What about the Taurus? Would it've sold better if it was called the LTD?

Yeah... I'm starting to see a pattern here.

A pattern of excuses and self denial.

Edited by pcsario

I think people may actually respect the original Taurus. They still look good and modern to me compared to the Turtle Taurus. I believe if Ford had designed a replacement Taurus that modernized the look of the original Taurus, Ford would be doing as well as Chevy and Toyota.

The 1994 Taurus was nice looking and it looks even more modern to me with it's high deck and wedgier look than the Five Hundred. I also like those 1994 Taurus Wagons too.