now why didnt ford think of this...

ford4v429

Someone needs to take notes on key management.... The switchblade VW keys have been around for years... And some cars just have remotes with no key blade. Just have the transmitter with you, push the button and start the car.

which is really handy after you've dropped your keyfob into a puddle.

There are some other car companies using the combination key / keyless remote already. I think Honda is. I can't remember for sure, but I distinctly remember recently using a system like this. Ford just needs to pay attention to detail with respect to their cars. I'm sure their engineers are saying "What!! You wanted keyless entry, you got keyless entry!!" Yes, thank you, but if you guys would pay attention to detail and be a little creative you wouldn't have the same old generic keyless entry system that's been around since the 90's. So it also goes for things in the interior of your cars. Attention to detail is why companies like Toyota and Honda are winning.

Edited by BlackHorse

There are some other car companies using the combination key / keyless remote already. I think Honda is. I can't remember for sure, but I distinctly remember recently using a system like this. Ford just needs to pay attention to detail with respect to their cars. I'm sure their engineers are saying "What!! You wanted keyless entry, you got keyless entry!!" Yes, thank you, but if you guys would pay attention to detail and be a little creative you wouldn't have the same old generic keyless entry system that's been around since the 90's. So it also goes for things in the interior of your cars. Attention to detail is why companies like Toyota and Honda are winning.

You mean a key like this??? Ford has already done it on the Fusion/Milan. Hopefully they will pass this on to the other vehicles. It is a good idea.

post-19901-1171171354_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer

It should be optional because a lot of people would like it, but I like the little normal keys that don't have a computer chip or anything in them. I didn't like fumbling around with the big key my '97 expedition had with a computer chip in it, and I was glad to see my '05 super duty still has a normal key when I got it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet when someone need to make a copy of the key, they will complain the following:

1. WTF, I can only make the key at the dealer?

2. I don't need another remote, I only need the key.

3. $120 is way to expense for a key.

3. I wish the sperate the key from the remote.

what else I am missing?...

I don't agree with the combination. It's too tacky looking if you ask me. Too many people are going to complain about setting their alarms off, opening their trunks, and unlocking their doors while trying to start their car. :reading: The extra transmitter makes it easier to find your keys.

At the same time that they "update" the keyless entry fobs to match those of their competition, they can improve the cruise control as well. I can't believe that they still don't have a "cancel" button on the steering wheel in lieu of stepping on the brake pedal.

At the same time that they "update" the keyless entry fobs to match those of their competition, they can improve the cruise control as well. I can't believe that they still don't have a "cancel" button on the steering wheel in lieu of stepping on the brake pedal.

This isn't anything new. My wife bought a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse in June 2005 and we received 2 keys with the remotes built into them like this. It took a little getting used to but I like it. Its bigger than a normal key, but its smaller than carrying around the remote and a transponder key.

1. WTF, I can only make the key at the dealer?

2. I don't need another remote, I only need the key.

3. $120 is way to expense for a key.

3. I wish the sperate the key from the remote.

As for #1 and #3, that goes for any transponder key. Unless you want a car without any type of engine immobilizer, you're stuck with a bigger key that is expensive and can only be made by the dealer.

My 2006 500 does have a cancel button on the steering wheel.

My 06 Mazda MPV has a switchblade key. When you open it about half-way there is a roll pin to seperate the key from the remote. If I had the dealership make a copy, it's $300.

My edge key has all those bells and whistles built in..... :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...

That's nuts... try having a keyless entry and a push-button start for 1 day and you'd want it... trust me. I get in my truck now and forget that I need to use the key. Yikes... Ford = outdated.

...I like the little normal keys that don't have a computer chip or anything in them. I didn't like fumbling around with the big key my '97 expedition had with a computer chip in it, and I was glad to see my '05 super duty still has a normal key when I got it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...this is a great example of how car companies lack good human factors research, industrial design, and innovation. You should only need ONE button to do everything on a car! One button with a proximity sensor could do it all! Imagine you walk up to your car and it's locked, the car senses your arrival +- 5 feet and the car unlocks by itself. If you walk away and it's unlocked...yep you guessed it! It locks! You don't like that? Well, instead set the car to use the single button! If the car is locked press the single button the car unlocks! If it's unlocked, press the single button and it locks! Need to open the truck? No problem step to the rear, again within some number of feet and the the trunk will open by itself! Don't like that? Want to use the single button? Press the button and hold for more than 2 seconds maybe? In other words if the car is locked and you press the button it unlocks, press it again and hold for the 2 seconds and the truck opens! Now this is a quick run through and I'm sure there are things I haven't considered, but I'm sure this could work. Very simple, very small, and it should fit on the key without too much additional bulk.

Hey want to get REALLY fancy! Allow me to pair my phone to my car and as a back up use it to unlock my car via bluetooth! Either a code or proximity!

This would be a "Bold Move".

:stats:

Great idea. Only downside is, it's already being used. Perhaps you've heard of key fobs. Corvette uses it, and guess what, so does Nissan. Once again I'm sure Ford isn't using it because it's stupid or some such reason. lol

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/15/gm-anno...packed-key-fob/

There it is! A shining example of everything that is wrong here in Detroit. Yes, even more bulky, nice antenna, and more weight to carry around. I don't know how I ever lived now having my tire pressure and odometer reading on my key chain! For sure much sought after features.

I think a well designed one button bluetooth device could do it al. Oh and as I said, the ability to use your BT phone in place of it would just be outstanding! No keys to carry at all! That would be VERY cool.