Dodge Demon Concept

Paul Selby

Although I think it is a postive thing that Chrysler may bring an entry out in this genre, I definitely don't like the side and rear styling of this concept. I agree with the poster above that I'd take the Solstice and Sky over the so-called Demon any day.

And yes... it would be nice if Ford would take a stab at this market. That is as long as they DON'T call it the 'EXP'! :lol:

std_1984_ford_exp-1.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

If Ford was to get all roadstery on us, then don't use the slightly too small for US behind MX-5 platform. Instead, lift the RX-8 platform and use the 2.3L I4 as the base engine and the optional engine setup should be either a Turbo DGI 2.3L setup like in the CX-7 or MS6. The development work for the platform and engines is already complete, just come up with a floorpan, stiffen the chassis for roadster use, and make it look good.

If Ford was to get all roadstery on us, then don't use the slightly too small for US behind MX-5 platform. Instead, lift the RX-8 platform and use the 2.3L I4 as the base engine and the optional engine setup should be either a Turbo DGI 2.3L setup like in the CX-7 or MS6. The development work for the platform and engines is already complete, just come up with a floorpan, stiffen the chassis for roadster use, and make it look good.

Ford hasn't had the greatest success adapting fixed-roof platforms for convertible use. Just check the cowl shake and body flex on any fox-body Mustang convertible or DEW98 T-Bird if you don't believe me. The MX5 platform could probably be stretched a couple of inches more easily than chopping the roof off the RX8.

Although I think it is a postive thing that Chrysler may bring an entry out in this genre, I definitely don't like the side and rear styling of this concept. I agree with the poster above that I'd take the Solstice and Sky over the so-called Demon any day.

And yes... it would be nice if Ford would take a stab at this market. That is as long as they DON'T call it the 'EXP'! :lol:

std_1984_ford_exp-1.jpg

-Ovaltine

Hey! let's be nice. I had an EXP (not the frog eyes one like the picture.) Most people thought it was a Mustang anyway. It wouldn't matter if it was called EXP because no one would remember it except Blue Oval fans. If you thought the 500 had problems with name recognition, When I brought my EXP to Ford dealers for oil changes, some of the employees would ask me what company made the car and were surprised when I told them it was a Ford.

std_1984_ford_exp-1.jpg

-Ovaltine

Wow that brings back some memories. I had a gray EXP when I was in college. It was actually a fun car to drive and autocross. It wasn't a bad car for its time and price, reliable and good on gas. I traded it for an "84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z (poor man's Porsche). That was really a blast to drive ... when it wasn't in the shop.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

The Demon looks like it could spawn several cool little cars. I read on ALLPARR that this car is also being developed with another small crossover that Dodge will call Crew and Crhysler will call PTCruiser, meaning that the PTC will end it's present model run. It sold 177,000+ units last model year. Right DCX, kill off a unit that sells and keep coming out with clones of clones.

The market for the 2-seater roadster is so small as it is, and the GM twins - Sky and Solstice - are SO much better looking than this Demon thing, I would advise Dodge not to bother. I'd advise Ford not to bother with a compact roadster either until they've redesigned most of their ancient models and real moneymakers.

I'm a V-8 kind of guy but I like this, very cool looking IMHO. Also like the name but last time "Demon" was used the hypersensitive religious fanatics raised hell and the name was changed to Dart Sport. Wonder if they would use the name again if this did make production?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/12/dodge-d...FTOKEN=75041128

VERY nice. :shades: I don't like it as much as the Solstice but it's a great improvement over the SKY IMHO. Although I agree, the cross grill is getting as annoying as the chrome 3-bar.

And once again, Chrysler takes a chance with a cool new car while Ford sits with their thumbs up their ass.

HELLO! I would like to buy another roadster from Ford or Mercury of Lincoln. Anybody at the glass house listening??? :banghead: