Bluecon

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You leave out this important fact:

Earlier this week, the company began offering $500 in dealer cash on the low-end SE model with 17-inch rims, but not on models with 18-inch rims or higher trim lines. Ford spokesman Jim Cain said the move was driven by higher-than-expected demand for more expensive models. He said 80 percent of Edge buyers are opting for the SEL or SEL Plus, leaving some dealers with too many of the entry-level versions.

Since when is it a bad thing to sell more expensive models without an incentives? Plus $500 bucks doesn't make a world of difference when it comes down to a monthly car payment. All it is a correction to get the slower moving models off the lot. Its much like what happened with the Mustang and IUP.

Edited by silvrsvt

You leave out this important fact:

Since when is it a bad thing to sell more expensive models without an incentives? Plus $500 bucks doesn't make a world of difference when it comes down to a monthly car payment. All it is a correction to get the slower moving models off the lot. Its much like what happened with the Mustang and IUP.

That is not a fact that is propoganda from the same people who said the 500 was a great success. (I won't even mention the Fusion)

That is not a fact that is propoganda from the same people who said the 500 was a great success. (I won't even mention the Fusion)

But you also forget the fact that the 300 had 1K rebate on the hood when hit the market..and look at Chrysler now...they aren't in any better shape then Ford or GM, and they might get spun off...

But you also forget the fact that the 300 had 1K rebate on the hood when hit the market..and look at Chrysler now...they aren't in any better shape then Ford or GM, and they might get spun off...

To be fair, if Ford was owned by someone else, that company would probably be looking to spin them off too. If only Ford's accountants could find some way to spin itself off. :idea:

How many Edge's did Ford sell in January???

b/w 4k and 5k .. do not remember exactly .. but about 40% of dealers still did not have any available ... maybe the picture is not as pretty when the coastal dealers started receiving the cars.

Plus the ads suck big time ... Ford needs to change gears into MORE DIFFERENT adds highlighting the car .. MKX has better campaign than the Edge with the "cook" and "Milf" ads running, it gets showcased nicely ...

Igor

In particular, high demand for 18-inch wheels is causing a "stock imbalance" between the SE and SEL models, Cain said.

The SE model is only available with 17-inch wheels. Ford was building about 45 percent of Edges with the 18-inch wheels, but actual demand for the bigger wheels is closer to 60 percent, Cain said. Ford is working to increase the availability of 18-inch wheels.

Nothing. But it does point out your bias. You have been very quiet with regard to Chrysler's troubles after many posts where you said they were doing much better than Ford.

I am not biased, I just predicted everything right(we need that Bluecon was right thread) and the Ostriches have been unfailingly wrong. Unless there are big changes the Big 2.5 are dead in the USA and Canada. I am not a big fan of Chrysler but just pointed out many months ago that they were in much better shape than Ford and would perform much better than Ford in the 3rd and 4th quarters. (and I was right)

Plus the ads suck big time ... Ford needs to change gears into MORE DIFFERENT adds highlighting the car .. MKX has better campaign than the Edge with the "cook" and "Milf" ads running, it gets showcased nicely ...

Igor

The MILF ad is hot! LOL I had the Military Channel on and seemed like it was on constantly!

I notice the Edge is starting to pile up at the dealerships, and they all lack Windows Vista, I mean Microsoft Sync...no... Vista Roof! Maybe Bill Gates bought them all!

Anyway, my Dad is going to trade his Ranger for a low-end Edge so the 500 cash is a good thing!

What is hurting the Edge more than anything from becoming the sales star it could be is the abysmal braking scores and the negative P.R all over the Internet and print because of it, go look at Edmunds and other message boards, so many people are taking it off their shopping list just because of the long braking numbers. Ford needs to rectify this A.S.A.P. There is no reason that a new brake system should not be in production by April, there is an issue with it.

And the Ad's suck too -- THEY DON'T TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT THE CAR. They need to work the features into the ads like Mercury does.

Edited by jasonj80

LOL @ this whole thread.

OMG the Edge has a 500 dollar rebate it is destined to become a sales failure, according to the insightful analyst that predicted the Fusion would never move 'x' amount of units.

Couldn't tell if it was sarcasim or not but SYNC won't be available till fall.

I also find it highly amusing that Chrysler the company that is about to shed thousands of workers and shut plants, a division that is much smaller than Ford mind you, is even being uttered around here. That company is in no better shape than Ford or GM.

......the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Edited by Michael Reynolds

The definitiong for failure of any vehicle is not reaching its porfit per unit goals. Period. If they hit their volume targets, but have to use too many incentives to do so, then it failed to meet its expectations. Now, remember, incentives, such as rebates, can be considered to be part of marketing expenses, and, as such, may be factored in to the whole profit quotient already.

The one troubling thing that I see here, and this statement is made without knowing ANYTHING about how the MkX is performing, is that if the high end edges are moving, but the low end models aren't, then that may indicate people realising that the main difference between a high end edge and a middle of the road MkX is just the badges and grill and buying the cheaper of the two. It would be interesting to know both the total number nad mix of MkXs that are moving. Down here, I've seen a total of one edge on the road, one in a store parking lot, and two on dealer lots. Comparitively, I've seen two acadias, two outlooks, and one of the buicks (with manuf. plates). So, think of that what you will.

When I review the specs for the Edge, I'm dumbfounded at how heavy the bloody thing is. The curb weight of the 5 seat Edge compares to the curb weight of 7 seat CUV's from the competition. I really can't see any advantage to buying the new Edge CUV over the traditional Explorer SUV. If anything, waiting for the new Taurus X with the same powertrain as the Edge is the better way to go.

Also, I noticed from reading various test reviews that the same transaxle behaves differently in GM vehicles and Ford vehicles. And it's generally better in the GM vehicles. The differance is in the software and the impression is that Ford engineers can't get it right.

The GM vehicles also have a manual shift feature on their version of the transaxle which Ford doesn't. This point is moot because it's been proven (by the car mag. tests) that today's car computers can shift the automatic transmissions better than the drivers. Besides, the manu-matics are for posers, unless the transaxle is a dual clutch direct shift unit or an automated manual.

I am not a big fan of Chrysler but just pointed out many months ago that they were in much better shape than Ford and would perform much better than Ford in the 3rd and 4th quarters. (and I was right)

No, you were VERY VERY WRONG. Chrysler was building up fake profit by dumping units into the sales bank willy nilly, and now it has all come home to roost. Their results were essentially lies built upon the sales bank. Why do you think they are cutting production so much all of a sudden? Why is DCX having to make such drastic cuts to the employee ranks? Because of the outstanding results of the 3rd and 4th quarters? Please. :banghead:

Edited by Harley Lover